Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Guardian of Light Group Play

Well, it looks like online co-op has been delayed a bit longer. So how about the next best thing: offline group play LCO style? In case you missed our earlier TR1 and TR2 group sessions, here's how it works:

• Go as slow or or as fast as you like. I'll probably play more slowly than most of you, since I'm also using this opportunity to do screenshots and video for my walkthrough. (If you use it, please feel free to correct/contribute!)
  • Play as much or as little at a time as you like. Then just post your ideas/impressions and read/comment on what other players have to say.
  • Mention things that were fun, frustrating, glitchy, weird or otherwise remarkable for you.
  • Offer help if anyone needs it, and feel free to ask if you get stuck. We're all friends here.
  • Please understand that this topic will inevitably contain spoilers. So when you're posting, try to be considerate of others and include the level name or "spoiler warning" near the top of your post. That way people who haven't gotten there yet can wait to read it if they haven't gotten there yet.
  • If you want to, set a goal for yourself--all reward or score challenges, all red skulls, beat the game on hard, get 100% completion, etc.--then share your proud achievements.

The only firm guidelines I have are to play nice--follow forum rules, be courteous and supportive to your fellow gamers--and above all HAVE FUN! So, who's in? :D

LCGOL_art_3_sm.jpg

Oh, thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just realized I can't open a thread in all areas on this site. I was also beginning to wonder whether there really was any interest--it was too close to the holidays and people were too broke and couldn't buy it...or maybe they had forgotten about it. Or maybe there was a boycot because the other people who own other systems were ticked that yet again Xbox users are being shown favoritism.

Looking forward to playing! I'm also going to be trying co-op on Xbox Live. I've never been on Xbox Live before, so I'm hoping I won't get lost--and it isn't too complicated.

Excellent, I'm in! :D I've just put in a pre-order for Guardian of Light on Steam (FYI, for anyone who doesn't know, if you order Guardian of Light before 28 September you get a free copy of Legend to go with it. All for only £9.99!).

For anyone who's worried about putting spoilers in their posts, you can use spoiler tags. They look like this:

[spoiler]Your spoilery text here![/spoiler]

And your text will come out looking like this:

Your spoilery text here!

Then people just click the button if they want to see, or don't if they do not. Simples :lol:

I'm in, guys! But first, I need two new AA batteries...I'm so excited to play with you guys again! If you are playing on Xbox 360 when online co-op comes around, I'm Marluxia15! This will be great!!!

Yay! Looks like some of the last crew are back. Great to see you all. :D

Marluxia, you need an old-fashioned wired controller--or at least some rechargeable batteries :P;)

I'm going to be jumping back and forth between single-player and co-op. My son offered to help me with the co-op play, but he gets bored with my noodling around trying to get every pick-up, take screenshots, etc., so we've only been doing a level or two every few days. Wish there was online co-op so I could force a couple of you to suffer through my process. I keep telling him it's for SCIENCE, dang it! ;)

Anyway, I've just redone the first level, Temple of Light, taking screenshots all the way. I also did a video of the fire trap Reward Challenge. I wasn't able to beat that one the first time (probably could have, but I was in a hurry to get the level finished). Then I got a great tip from GeckoKid on the Eidos forums, which is included in the video. It's totally spoilerific, but if you have trouble with that section, check it out here:

Oh, and one more thing...I'm putting together a section with time challenge tips, so if you've got any suggestions for specific levels, please let me know.

Edited by Stellalune
added postscript re time challenges

Count me in! I already pre-purchased the game via steam! Played the demo last week and it was great! Really hope they give us the chance to play the game before the 28th!

Anway, I think we need to start sharing our steam nicknames? So we can see who's playing at the same time and even chat through steam! What do you guys think?

My username is: BPanther

I just realized I can't open a thread in all areas on this site.

Problem solved!! Thanks for letting us know! If things like this happen again, please send us a message! ;)

BPanther

@BPanther--thanks!

@Stella--I wish I would have known that was a problem area for you. I did get killed a few times at first, but the solution turned out to be very simple. I hope I remember it. Anyway, I'll be glad to play co-op with you! I haven't activated my Xbox Live membership yet. Do you know when co-op is becoming available? Anyway, I'm JessicaLynn75...I think. :blink: I might have to check to make sure. I have so many identities I'm getting confused. :lol: Anyway, if I'm wrong I'll tell you. I'd like to see the master at work! I'm writing a walkthrough for Ju-on: Haunted House Simulator. I'm trying not to add spoiler text, which is complicated. However, it is a horror game--and knowing the scares ahead of time decreases one's appreciation.

@Shrensh--thanks for the tip!

It is nice to see the old crowd! So, when are we doing this officially?

Also, I keep hearing about Steam. What is it?

Hi again!!

I'm not sure if some of you noticed, but the game for PC is already available, if you bought it through steam! Ben and I have just been playing the co-op! It's truly amazing!

I also created a group in steam for us, if you want to join!

Info here:

Group Name: Lara Croft Online

Abbreviation: LCOForum

Group Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/laracroftonline

Steam is a platform, used to buy and play games. You can download it from here: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

After you register and create your account, browse their "shop" and you'll be able to buy the game! Explore a bit, look for groups and you can use the info above! You can add friends and you can see who's playing!

So, we can start anythime soon... I've been playing the levels with Raek, but we can play each level again, to get all goodies! ;)

BP

I got a little confused when I tried to download Steam. They asked which type of DSL I had. I have the fastest one--though it isn't associated with a cable company. Anyway, I picked the one I thought I had. When I tried to connect, they said Steam couldn't be contacted right now.

I uninstalled it because I don't know if I chose the wrong one. Is Steam having technical difficulties?

I got a little confused when I tried to download Steam. They asked which type of DSL I had. I have the fastest one--though it isn't associated with a cable company. Anyway, I picked the one I thought I had. When I tried to connect, they said Steam couldn't be contacted right now.

I uninstalled it because I don't know if I chose the wrong one. Is Steam having technical difficulties?

The bandwidth speed you choose on steam isn't actually that important so don't worry too much there. It's a little odd that it didn't connect tho', do you have a firewall that could be blocking it perhaps?

I haven't posted here for a while but this game is absolutely class. I hope it sells well because I really want to see them continue making these co-op adventures. It's fully of clever puzzles to keep it challenging but easy enough to just pick up and play. Cris and I will be playing a bit more tonight I'm sure so will dro pback in here to chat more about the game!

Just got through the Temple of Light level. Very fun game to play, though I could do without it randomly crashing on me and whining that my hardware isn't good enough (my hardware more than meets the requirements so there must be a driver issue somewhere. I'll probably go see if I can find a driver update if it persists).

Didn't get much in the way of achievements. I missed one of the skulls somewhere along the way, so I'll probably go back and see if I can find it anywhere, and see if I can get that fire trap one while I'm at it too. I don't have anyone to co-op with, so I'll just have to wait until the online co-op gets activated to try that out.

Some information that might be useful:

- Once we've done the levels in co-op, they become available for single player too. So, I'm able to go back to the same levels, with the weapons I've unlocked in co-op and get the achievements we've missed or other relics and objects! However, they only become available to me, and not Raek.

Shrensh, once the online co-op starts, we can play together if ya want! ;)

Anyone else started?

BP

I'll try to start tomorrow! I just got my room painted and some new furniture so everything is a titanic mess around my room. So on top of that and homework I'll try to get through Temple of Light tomorrow. I do know that one thing I don't like about this game is that once you find and artifact or a skull, you can't go back and get it! There's no NEW GAME option available and I wanted to go back through it again!!!

I'm Marluxia15 on XBL if anybody would like to play! Any news yet on the DLC packs or the multiplayer patch?

Went back and did the first level again, and managed to find the skull I missed. I haven't gotten the fire trap challenge yet, but will try that again when I'm not so awkward on the controls.

I've finished the Temple Grounds and the Spider Tomb. I got 300,000 points for Temple Grounds, but only just. When I got to the end of the level I had to go hunting around in the bushes for some extra jewels to bring my score over 300,000 :lol: I somehow missed four red skulls in that level though, so I'll be going back and re-doing it to see if I can find the ones I missed. I got all the skulls in the Spider Tomb, and I got that 12 jumps challenge, but it cost me about half my points trying to get it, so I have to re-do that one too to see if I can get the score challenge :lol:

Shrensh, once the online co-op starts, we can play together if ya want! ;)

I should warn you that I am completely rubbish and I keep making Lara jump in completely the wrong direction, usually off cliffs :blink:

LEVEL 1: TEMPLE OF LIGHT

First of all, I love the music and the intro of the menu. I know the music is recycled--and the music at the beginning is the same music that was played in Lara's Shadow towards the end. However, it makes me feel like I'm at a play--that exciting feeling when the lights darken and the orchestra starts up. The music sometimes starts out faint, even hesitant, and then it swells until it engulfs the whole theater. Though it is nice when there are new things introduced, I did really love the soundtrack from Legends and didn't mind hearing it again. It was nostalgic.

The dialogue at the very beginning was rather comic bookish, and I remember the first time I played the game I was like: :rolleyes: . However, it allowed an opportunity for Lara to display her wit.

Ah, Totec. Typical man. Always running off ahead of you. :lol:

The controls are awkward at first, particularly aiming weapons. I don't like that I can't turn Lara easily. She points in one direction, and it is hard to make slight adjustments.

The smaller scale also initially annoyed me. It can be hard to see at times, though it gives you a larger view of the land. I worried it would distance me from the game, but I got into it very quickly. While I wouldn't want all the games to be designed like this, I don't mind it in this one. It is easier to role play when Lara is more at your eye level, and you see things more from her perspective.

I liked destroying arrow traps! :lol:

When Totec offered his spear, and Lara said she was certain she could find a use for it...I was thinking, "Yeah. She can scratch her butt with it maybe. :rolleyes: " Actually, it turned out to be extremely useful. It was my weapon of choice throughout most of the game until I got the grenade launcher--which was good against enemies in later levels. What I like about the spear is that you can use it to climb.

I don't know if you all know this, but in the Spider pot achievement--even if you fall to the ground during jumping...if you start over from the beginning, you can still get the achievement.

By the way, since I confuse Xolotl's name with the drug Zoloft, I have nicknamed him Big Ugly. So when I say Big Ugly, you know who I mean--even though there are other creatures in the game who are also big and just as ugly.

I was proud when I first played this game because I managed to solve all but one of the puzzle challenges--and this was before Stella had a walkthrough. The only thing that was tough is that I couldn't share my experiences because most of TR fans didn't have Xbox. I thought I was going to burst! So I'm glad I can talk about it now. ^_^ And after playing Underworld, it is nice to play something that is a little lighter.

I think there must be a book called Demonic Gods Classic Guide to Picking up Women. Didn't that sound like a pick-up line that Big Ugly made to Lara?

"You're a fine specimen. I'll wear your skin." It was something like that. I don't remember the exact words because the noise of my eyes rolling drowned it out. :rolleyes: I was wondering if said book was written by Hannibal Lector's protege--you know, the degenerate with the poodle.

And how typical of a demonic god when a woman rejects him.

"Oh, yeah! Well, if that is your answer, I'll send a bunch of my fat, ugly, cross-dressing minions after you--and then you'll appreciate me!"

Statistics: IT took me 38:37 minutes. 134,700 pts. I collected all 10 skulls. I destroyed all the urns. I got 0/1 weapons, 1/2 relics, 2/3 artifacts, and 6/6 power-ups.

Hi Marluxia... you can go back and do levels again! You just need to select the level you want to and replay it! ;) Good luck with your bedroom and homework! ;)

I think he meant he wanted to replay and have all the red skulls, challenge tombs, etc., reset. AFAIK, you can do it if you start a new profile or delete all your save files. Naturally you'd first want to back those up on a memory card or somewhere else on your hard drive if playing on the PC.

I had to create 3 or 4 different profiles to play the Xbox game so I could go back and redo sections I had already completed.

I'm home sick today. Going back to bed for a while but hopefully I'll gather the strength to do some gaming. I hate having a cold. And I'm so whiny when I do... ;):(

Look at the awesome score I had after completing the spike field challenge in the Spider Tomb:

post-7-065892000 1285789309_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I suck... Speaking of score, do any of you Xbox players who've been playing for a while have any tips for maximising one's score? I'd like to get a few more of the score challenges.

Yeah, I suck... Speaking of score, do any of you Xbox players who've been playing for a while have any tips for maximising one's score? I'd like to get a few more of the score challenges.

Hey guys! Room is still messy...haha! With play practice and homework I haven't put more than a decent dent into it, but I WILL get it done tonight and I WILL post about Temple of Light!

@Stella, hope you feel better! I have been pretty exhausted and congested (from allergies...) in school so it gets kinda miserable even though I love school. But I hope you feel better! And I did make a new profile on the Xbox. The gamertag is Lara Croft! Haha! I'll show you all a picture later!

@Shrensh, I have some tips but right now I need to get my homework done. (I'm procrastinating a little...) So expect them later!

See you guys later!

Thanks! I think that if I get into a massive fight, I should avoid killing the big guys first, because if they explode and kill all the little guys I won't score for the little guy deaths... and avoid dying myself :huh: Do you get a different score for a kill depending on what weapons you're using?

Thanks! I think that if I get into a massive fight, I should avoid killing the big guys first, because if they explode and kill all the little guys I won't score for the little guy deaths... and avoid dying myself :huh: Do you get a different score for a kill depending on what weapons you're using?

I don't think you do. You do get a different score if your "power meter" is filled. I think there are three possible scores you can get for each monster. One for low meter, half and full. Does that make sense?

Okay. My room is still messy!!! AGH! I put a larger dent in it today cleaning out my closet and getting my clothes folded. But after working on it for two and a hlaf hours I quit to play some GoL. I've decided to split this into two rounds. The first time around I'm going to play for best score. The second time around best time. Also, is anyone interested in making a Group-Play leaderboard so we can compare times/scores? I know they already have one on the game, but I'd like to compare scores with you guys. Then again, several of you have posted some of your scores so I suppose it's not necessary.

So I played Temple of Light for score this evening. The first thing I realized is that it isn't as easy to avoid the big baddies without the powerful weapons. During my first time through GoL, I went back through with all of the strong weapons and completed the goals in a cinch. But it's much more difficult with only the spear and pistols. I also took pictures, so I'll try to put them up now.

Actually, who wants to help me? haha! How do I put pics on without uploading them to another site first?

So let's discuss level one.

First, did anybody else notice that the first chamber has only an exit and no entrance? Did Lara grapple in there or what? The red skulls were simple to find, and the spider pot challenge posed no difficulty. I did beat the Fire Trap in record time! I also had a realization about the final chamber with the spike pit and the moving platforms. I never realized that if the platforms extended all the way, Lara would be forced in. I'm considering doing some speedrunning videos for YouTube as I am really getting good! My final score was 180900 and time was 18:03. I found all of the artifacts, relics, weapons and upgrades (6 total) and beat all but the DESTROY ALL URNS challenge and the REACH THE EXIT IN 6:00 OR LESS.

Can't wait for TEMPLE GROUNDS!!!

Thanks to a wonderful friend, I know have GoL, But I'm a little confused so maybe someone can help. I'm playing on PC with keyboard controls... how the hell do I change weapons? The spear is handy, but I really would like to shoot something!!! LOL

@Stella--hope you feel better!

@Shrensh--I don't agree with Marluxia15. I think the score does change according to the weapon you use. For instance, with the spiders--when I use the spear, they are usually 500 a piece. However, when I use the spikey ball, the score doubles. I could be wrong, but I'm certain I was seeing that. And when I used a bomb to kill the spiders, I'm sure it was 100 a piece. Can anyone back this up?

LEVEL 2--TEMPLE GROUNDS

How can big, fat kilt guys punch through walls without knocking the wall down? :blink: They injure Lara. I guess that is one of those scientific laws in gamer land.

I'm learning new things playing the second time around. Of course, I am also missing some things I didn't the first time around <_< . But eventually it will all come together--and I need to download Stella's walkthrough.

One thing I learned--spikey balls are very efficient killing weapons, and I am certain that using them doubles your kill points. I was wondering what they were there for--because not all of them in the beginning have a function. Later, they are sometimes used to plug up fire pots and in challenges. I also used one in this level to jump on so I could throw a spear higher, which I jumped on to access a red skull.

Like the spider pot challenge, if you fall in the water in the challenge to cross the river without touching the water...if you do fall in mid-way, simply go back to the first block you jump on and try again. You will get the achievement. I fell several times and went back, and I got the achievement.

Thank god for the map--it is easy to get lost in this level. I neglected to blow up one of the trucks. <_<

Total time: 1:17:45. I collected all 10 skulls. I crossed the river without touching the water on my fifth try. I defeated the giant lizard very easily by rolling it over with a spikey ball. I got 254,350 points. Weapons 3/4, Relics 2/2, Artifacts 2/4, Power-ups 6/8.