Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Rise of the Tomb Raider is Exclusive to XBOX ONE

Morph

Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I’d like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we’re creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we’ll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we’re going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,

Darrell Gallagher

Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

I can't even express in words how angered I am by this announcement.

All of this "console exclusive" rubbish has gone too far. They can not pass this off with a "Microsoft have believed in us from the beginning" excuse -- no, it's all about who has the deeper pockets. What about us, the fans, who have believed in and stuck with the Tomb Raider series since 1996!

I will not be buying an XBOX ONE just for Rise of the Tomb Raider, and now, I won't be purchasing Temple of Osiris.

You've gone and done this the wrong way Crystal Dynamics. So very wrong.

I hope, at the very least, that another announcement comes saying it's only a timed release.

Source: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update

Edited by Morph

I just read this too....

Very disappointed with this development. I for one will not be purchasing an XBox1 in order just to play Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Not sure if I'm going to pick up Temple of Osiris yet....

EDIT

Definitely not picking up Temple of Osiris. Heck, I didn't even play Guardian of light.

Edited by jedicri

There is a lot of confusion as to the language used for some anyway: can't paste link ....

Stella has put up a petition too.... can't paste link either...

Am I missing something here... I can't copy and paste links.....

Edited by jedicri

This decision is completely bizarre. I know Microsoft probably gave them a boatload of money to do this, but they've alienated so many of their fans that I can't see what sort of benefit Square Enix could possibly get out of it. It's mad :wacko:

Well, I've cancelled my Temple of Osiris pre-order. If this turns out to be a timed exclusive, I'll pick both games up in a 75% off sale at some point instead of paying full price. If it's not a timed exclusive, I'll abandon the series and stop buying any Square Enix games at all. Much as I love Tomb Raider, I won't be treated like so much garbage by a video game company.

Stella has put up a petition too.... can't paste link either...

Am I missing something here... I can't copy and paste links.....

Might be an anti-spam measure that's causing you problems (spammers really love this board for some reason...). Here's Stella's petition:

https://www.change.org/petitions/square-enix-and-crystal-dynamics-rescind-the-arrangement-to-publish-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-exclusively-on-xbox-one-2

Holy smokes!

Those guys on FB are ripping into CD big time --- not that I blame them of course.

And yes James, pray tell, what did you post there?

Stella's petition is going up quite quickly. In just a matter of minutes, from when I began posting this, it went from 7939 to 7957.

I honestly would like to know why I can't copy and paste. Any ideas guys?

Anyway, back on topic, these words: "... we have just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox."

"coming holiday 2015" seems to be a qualifier indicating that Rise of the Tomb Raider will only exclusively launch on Xbox during the holiday of 2015, and afterwards, ie. after the 2015 holiday, Rise of the Tomb Raider will be released on other platforms at a later period.

What do you guys think? Is this actually then, a timed exclusive?

Edited by jedicri

Well I'm hoping it's a timed release, but even if it is this has turned me off big time. CD/Square Enix's refusal to clarify their decision just shows the utter lack of respect they have for Tomb Raider fans, some of whom have been following the series for almost 20 years.

I was mad all day after reading that announcement. I got the news in an email from Crystal PR and posted the news like a good webmaster on laracroftonline.com and tombraidernews.com

and I didn't want to... I mulled it over an cooled down and very late I decided to post it after all.

I was a lazy sort this summer and I finally updated The Rise of the Tomb Raider and Temple of Osiris Images. I said what can I do I am a big fan and a webmaster and as much as I don't like it

especially for the fans that don't have an XBox One. I know I'll want to play it and I'll have to buy one to do so. If the Tomb Raider fan is angry and doesn't play it,buy it I completely understand.

Hopefully they'll port it to the other formats after a few months and eventually make everyone happy. I think that's the right thing to do. We have to understand business is business and

as much as we feel shafted right now I guess the deal was too good to pass up and they feel it's worth it for them. The last game when I went to E3 in June 2012 I really felt Crystal Dynamics and Meagan Marie

made the Tomb Raider Community feel a part of what was going on and they really cared how we felt about the re-boot and wanted our support. I didn't feel that way today and that was a first.

There is a lot of time between now and then. I hope some kind of happy medium can be achieved to make everyone a part of this new game perhaps not at launch but soon after perhaps by Spring 2015.

I really considered shutting down today lol I have too many years invested in this place and too many nice people here over the years. We just have to hope for the best.

I've just read this:

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

However, he declined to confirm how long that duration is set for.

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox. That, Spencer confirmed, means Xbox One and Xbox 360.

But the wording of its statement caused some to wonder whether the game would eventually launch on other platforms. Spencer wouldn't speak for Square Enix on this, but did compare the deal to that it had for Xbox One games Dead Rising and Ryse, which will also launch on PC.

Spencer's comments confirm Square Enix, owner of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, is free to do whatever it wants with the game and the franchise after the exclusivity deal ends, including releasing it on other platforms.

Here's our conversation:

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," Spencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have."

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes.

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and then. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Angry gamers have directed many of their comments towards Square Enix, accusing the publisher of selling out and alienating their PlayStation and PC owning customers.

"Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," wrote Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft."

So now Microsoft has come out and said it's only a timed exclusive, but won't confirm for how long.

They've emptied their pockets for time, and no doubt they'll be getting exclusive DLC to go along with the game too. Which I think may have been mentioned at E3 this year.

This is still ridiculous, even if it is timed. It could be a year before other platforms even see it!

I also emailed the President of CD, and Vice President of Microsoft and PM them at least a dozen times with the similar messages on Facebook.

Then in a related news article that was posted on a CBS news website that uses DISQUS comment, which I am a member of, I posted the same thing, uncensored.

I am surprised CBS and DISQUS hasn't taken it down yet.

I am considering boycotting Microsoft and pull all the XBOX ONE from my stores.

Maybe even post a viral video of me smashing each and every one of them to pieces before sending them back to Microsoft.

Ha ha, you go J7! :lol:

I'm relieved that it's not a permanent exclusive, but I'm still very angry at the decision. I don't know how anyone can say "As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox" and then immediately follow it up with "We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal" and keep a straight face.

So it's not permanent?

it will be available on the PS 3 and PS 4 at some point?

Curious to know what you wrote, James. Haha! :lol:

Stella's petition has almost reached the 7,500 mark.

And yes James, pray tell, what did you post there?

If I were to repost here what I sent to Greedy Dynamics and Microsucks via Facebook and on the petition and emailed to Crystal Dumbnamics and Microstinks,

Sir Tom and Gia will give me a spanking.

:grin:

Edited by J7Dadda

Yep, Phil Spencer from Xbox has said that the exclusivity has a duration. No word from Crystal Dynamics or Square Enix on how long the exclusivity will last or what platforms it might release on once the exclusivity period is up though, so we'll just have to wait and see.

It couldn't be a joke.

It's not April 1st.

I remember that April 1st joke I played on everyone in the Eidos forum years ago.

I told them that Tomb Raider 3 or 4? I think it was 4!

That the release date was changed and postponed by a year.

I posted a very well worded very authentic looking and sounding article.

Everyone fell for it.

No one cared it was April 1st: they believed it.

Even the mods of the Eidos forum fell for it.

A couple of the unofficial Tomb Raider sites even reported it as real.

:grin:

If I remembered correctly, I think one of those sites may have been Theresa's.

Back in those days, whatever J7 said or wrote about Tomb Raider, it was word.

After all, I had over 27,000 posts in the Eidos forum in one year time.

:tease:

p.s. whatever happened to Theresa?

I remember in 2001 I called the host domain server and I offered to pay for Theresa's website domain renewal and the yearly hosting fees to keep it running.

They wouldn't sell to me.

They said it wasn't for sale.

I remember they did they tell me the domain server was like $600-700 and can't remember how much they told me it was per year.

I wish I did buy it.

It would still be up today.

Theresa's Tomb Raider website was one of the first that had everything.

Now even the website that takes snapshots of old websites for posterity no longer has any pages of it anymore.

Is that other guy still around?

The guy that has another Tomb Raider website and at one time I was told I couldn't even mention his first name here.

Don't remember what his name is anymore.

p.s. I forgot about Croft Times and Lara In Motion.

• 5 weeks later...