Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Far Cry 2

Hi everyone!

Was doing some research and found some videos of a far cry 2 demo! Looks amazing but i'm a bit worried about the pc specs needed to play the game!

I read that the game's engine is similar to Crysis (even though they're made by different companies) and my laptop doesn't run crysis and I really want to play Far Cry!

Anyone knows the pc specs? I couldn't find them!

Here are the videos of that demo! Amazing huh?

Part 1:

Part 2:

Source: Game Trailers

BPanther

Yeah, I saw this demo a few months a go. Very nice. Far Cry 2's engine debut footage is also worth looking at.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29864.html

I couldn't find anything on the PC specs either. I suspect that it won't be revealed until much later near it's release date (Oct. 31/08) or prior to what I hope will be a demo.

Edited by jedicri

.... if that's the case, even better :).

The thing is, I don't see the game's official website yet.

EDIT:

Here's the UK official website:

http://farcry.uk.ubi.com/

Far Cry 2 is also being developed for the 360 and PS3:

UBISOFT ANNOUNCES FAR CRY® 2 FOR XBOX 360® AND PLAYSTATION®3 SYSTEM [01.03.08]

San Francisco – January 3, 2008 – Today, Ubisoft announced that Far Cry® 2 is being developed for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Far Cry 2 is a next-generation first-person shooter being created by Ubisoft’s Montreal development studio.

More than just a visual and technological achievement, Far Cry 2 immerses players in an entirely new kind of gaming experience, featuring a custom-made video game engine built from the ground up. Players will discover a true open world gameplay set in one of the most beautiful environments in the world, Africa, brought to life by high-definition next-gen technology. Far Cry 2 is scheduled to ship fiscal 2008–2009.

Far Cry 2 is featured as the cover story in the March issue of PlayStation®:The Official Magazine, available on newsstands in North America on February 12, 2008.

According to the above press release, the 360 and PS3 version will release in the 2008-2009 fiscal year.

More on the PC release:

UBISOFT ANNOUNCES FAR CRY® 2

The Legendary Shooter Returns to PC in 2008

Paris- FRANCE – July 19, 2007 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced that it will launch Far Cry® 2 in Spring 2008 for PC. Far Cry 2 is being developed in Ubisoft’s Montreal studio.

The original Far Cry® won PC Gamer’s Action Game of the Year Award in 2004. Since then the combined installments of the Far Cry® brand has gathered critical acclaim and numerous awards, and sold over 3 million units.

“Far Cry marked the beginning of a new era for shooters. An era of gorgeous graphics and of advanced artificial intelligence,” declared John Parkes, EMEA marketing director at Ubisoft. “We are confident that Far Cry 2 will have the same impact again on the FPS genre landscape.”

Known Facts:

Developed by Ubisoft Montreal

UBI TEAM:

Producer: Louis-Pierre Pharand

Art Director: Alex Amancio

Creative Director: Clint Hocking

Technical Director: Dominic Guay

Support Coordinator: Arres Kimi ( Who is Kimi, and what does Support Coordinator actually mean)

Anticipated release UBI financial Q1: Spring-Summer 2008

All this from: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1...75/m/6941086575

I've also looked at Far Cry2 fan sites and they too have reported a March 2008 release such as this for instance: http://farcry2game.info/news.php

Edited by jedicri

• 8 months later...

Well, Far Cry 2 is out 22nd/23rd October.

Here are the specs:

Minimum Requirements

CPU: Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, Pentium D 2.66 Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ or better

Graphics: NVidia 6800, ATI X1650 or better - Shader Model 3.0 - 256 MB

RAM: 1 GB

Hard Drive Space: ~12GB

Optical Drive: DVD Drive

Recommended Requirements

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo family, AMD 64 X2 5200+, AMD Phenom or better

Graphics: NVidia 8600 GTS, ATI X1900 or better - Shader Model 3.0 - 512 MB

RAM: 2 GB+

Hard Drive Space: ~12GB

Optical Drive: DVD Drive

Sound: 5.1 sound card recommended

Supported Video Cards

NVidia 6800

NVidia 7000 series

8000 series

9000 series

200 series

8800M and 8700M for notebooks

ATI X1650 – 1950 series

HD2000 series

HD3000 series

HD4000 series

Edited by jedicri

Hi there,

Yes, got the collector's Edition today!! a few more Euros and it comes with a nice box, a t-shirt, a big map, some extra features and a cool picture book! Very nice!!

Photos here:

COLLECTOR'S EDITION BOX:

EPSN6244.jpg

CONTENTS (poster is double sided)

EPSN6245.jpg

CONTENT (Other side of the poster - MAP)

EPSN6246.jpg

I played a bit of the game, not as much as I expected, because i'm very busy today but I'm starting my first mission! The graphics are truly amazing, best I've seen since crysis!!

Controls are easy, same as usual. You can save any time you want... something I like. I just don't like the idea of only carrying 3 weapons but i guess that's part of the challenge!!

Hope you can buy it soon and then we can discuss strategies! I'll be away this weekend but I know Raek will be playing it day and night! :smiley:

Anyone else is planning to buy this game??

EDIT:

Having said that.. I just found out that this game comes with this new feature:

"According to the Ubisoft Forum Manager:

* You have five activations on three separate PCs.

* Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation. This process is called "revoke", so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

* You can upgrade your computer as many times as you want (using our revoke system)

* Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

* Ubisoft is committed to the long-term support of our games: you'll always be able to play Far Cry 2."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10066846-1.html

BPanther

Wow, I didn't know there was a Collector's Edition ---- very, very nice indeed! Good thing I held off from getting my copy on release day.

It's nice to know we can save anytime, anywhere on the PC version; I'm not sure if the 360 and PS3 versions have this all-so-important feature that should be in all FPS regardless of format.

As for that "revocation" thing, yeah, we gotta thank piracy for that, oh well. Bioshock had the same uninstallation system put in place too.

And yeah, looking forward to picking up my own copy :lol:

Hopefully I'll be getting it tomorrow for my PS3 as my laptop won't be able to handle it. I can't personally wait to get it, the official website for it shows some amazing videos. I'll re-post when I've played some of it.

MsC

Hi again,

I know that the save option is only available for the pc game. The other platforms have the usual checkpoints!

As for that "revocation" thing, yeah, we gotta thank piracy for that.

Yes, you're right! But the people that buy it legally are the ones being punished.... :( Ou computer has 2 accounts, one for each. All software you install in one, is available for the other. In this case, we used 2 of our possible instalations to make it work... how fair is that? :/

BPanther

I know, it tends to be the innocent ones who get punished. The way I see it heading is PC games will be taken off the shelves and only available via hubs like Steam network so that it's harder to crack games. SecuRom is a pain the backside and I hope less games use it rather than more.

MsC

I personally prefer hard copies of games, something tangible, that I can hold in my hands. And yes you're correct MsC in saying that those who have legitimate copies get the short hand of the stick and no it isn't fair BP.

On a more happier note, I got my regular copy of Far Cry 2. I've played a bit and I'm quite impressed with its performance. Far Cry 2 doesn't seem to be a resource hogging game. It scales quite well so I'm planning to tweak the in-game options more to find the sweet-spot between gameplay and visual performance/balance. At the moment, I'm gaming at 1900x1200, everything is on Very High with 4x AA with V-Sync ON. Not sure if my SLI set up has anything to do with the good framerates I'm getting; this I have yet to check. I also have to update to the latest video drivers.

Edited by jedicri

Okay, I've played a bit more and judging from what I've accomplished right now --- which hasn't been a lot --- this will take 20+ hours and more. Very nice! Haven't seen a straight FPS do this in years.

I'm going to concentrate unlocking all of the safehouses while doing some primary and secondary missions and I hope to build my weapons profile; I'm going for a more stealth approach to missions but I also want the firepower and flexibility to take out a tank or truck/convoys should the need call for it in an emrgency situation, sort of like improvising on-the-fly :lol: .

I have to say that, overall, I'm pretty dissapointed with this game.

It's some impressive graphics and nothing more.

Whilst the graphics and world might be lush, the first thing I noticed that the world is hardly interactive at all. So much for "Everything that should be destroyable can be destroyed".. that's an out and out lie. Try firing your RPG at a small metal shack.. not a thing happens. Compare that to Crysis where if you put a grenade against the wall of some metal hut, the wall would be blown away.. as it should be.. and could cause the roof to collapse. Similarly.. if you shoot a car tyre out in crysis, the car behaves as it should.. spinning out of control. In Farcry.. nothing.. not even a bullet hole. If you keep shooting a tyre enough, smoke starts coming out of the car radiator. Yes.. the radiator.

The missions are repetive. Every mission is basically: Drive somewhere far away, and kill a random guy. Not exactly inspiring.. espescially when driving anywhere is an utter nightmare. The way jeeps randomly spawn, and come crashing head on in to you (same every time) gets boring after the 3rd time.. (after the fiftieth you just want to eat your own face it's so infuriating). Then there's these "check points".. fine.. except that after you kill everyone they respawn after 2 minutes and you have to kill them again. Besides, I know it's a war zone but why does it seem like every single person on the whole map is out to kill me? Even when i'm working for their side? Oh, I know, it would have taken too much effort to program that.... A common theme here.. the AI are less intelligent than on Far Cry 1. They are slow to react to anything and just seem to stand next to you shooting.

Combine that with a sprawling and fairly nonsensical plot (Yeah.. we're in the middle of a warzone and the two rival army generals live across the street from each other... right) and the single most annoying aspect - lack of a "prone" option... and you have a massively underdeveloped and rushed game, with so much potential, that has been rushed out with a name it doesnt deserve (it's not related to Far Cry in any way at all, it's inferior to Far Cry in every aspect other than the graphics).

Oh, but you're right ubisoft.. the fire does look pretty. Shame it goes out inexplicably after 2 minutes and even the charred grass "respawns" shortly after.. bah

I've not given up on it yet, we've spent money on this and I'm determined to get my money's worth, but i'll never buy another game from ubisoft ever again. (i can download it off the pirate bay and crack it in 2 minutes while all the people who bought it struggle with their ridiculous digital rights management)

P.s. one good thing to come from all this.. I've learnt which game review sites take money for reivews. Basically everyone except gamespy.com and yougamers.com!

• 4 weeks later...
Incidentally, just in case you are interested in buying the game, I'd just like to point out that everything I said in my post above was a joke ;)

Lol! :P

Like I've told BP, I would love to have bought it from you, but there's no way my Laptop will handle it or even probably play it remotely well at the lowest settings.

It's a shame that the game isn't all that great, it looked good from videos but after reading what you've written (and what my PS3 mag wrote about it), it seems rather dull after an hour...I don't know yet if I'm prepared to pay the full £50 for it...

MsC