Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum
Sign in to follow this  
trfan518

pickups in TR8...idea

Although I so want this to be incorporated into the game, I see a problem with it.

I assume if CD were going to add this to the game, they'd want to do it to add to the realism of it...therefore, making long jumps that require a run up wouldn't be possible if she needed to limp, so the player would need to have a healthpack handy to make it...if she could make these jumps limped it would take from the realism of it, so they kinda contradict each other.

I so want them to add this feature to the game, but I don't know how it would work well in situations like that...unless of course they added a strategically placed health pack just before long jumps.

MsC

I love this idea. I've often thought they should include this in TR games.

An obvious solution for those long jumps could be to find an alternative route. It would be an interesting take on how Lara's physical condition affacts the progression of the level.

Having Lara show fatigue/ injury is a clever idea I like the sound of that. I also think Lara should display cuts and grazes as her condition gets worse. Another great idea would be if Lara used a medipack to treat her condition she would dress her injuries with bandages. They'll be on her person in the cinematics and would eventually fall off as she progresses through the game.

What do you think?

I'd also like it if Lara was to take a fall from a high ledge, she'd limp for a short period of time until she regained strength. This can be avoided or lessen her injury if you quickly press the roll button before she hit the ground to lessen her impact and perform a kind of

"Break fall" move.

I always make Lara do this when I play Legend and Anniversary...It's a sort of free-running move to keep your "flow" without falls slowing your speed, but if they were to apply better animation to it, like a shoulder roll...It would be ace!

And a very valueble move for the time trials... ;)

Edited by Controlled Chaos

I like the idea of having to take an alternate route if Lara is suffering from an injury, that would spice up the gameplay a bit!

Yes, having a safety role when she lands would be a lot more realistic than her simply landing on her feet as it can prevent injury so that would be another good thing to add...but I have a feeling they may have already added it since the athleticness of Lara has been captured by a real athlete this time, and I'm sure she can perform a couple of good-looking roles!

They've already implemented the idea of showing dirt on her, and since there will be blood in this game (according to Podcast 2 available in our Download sections) it wouldn't surprise me if they show cuts and bruises, and I hope they do...though bullet holes may be a tad too far :blink:

Healing those wounds with bandages sounds like a good idea too, though I don't know if it would distract from the gameplay a bit and get a bit repetitive to some players who like to injure Lara having to watch her apply them every time she heals herself.

To Fusion: I think the classic inventory system was just a 'nod' to the original Tomb Raider, I don't think it'll be a feature in Tomb Raider: Underworld, especially since Lara carries any large objects too big to fit into her backpack with her this time around.

MsC

Guest Fusion
I love this idea. I've often thought they should include this in TR games.

An obvious solution for those long jumps could be to find an alternative route. It would be an interesting take on how Lara's physical condition affacts the progression of the level.

Having Lara show fatigue/ injury is a clever idea I like the sound of that. I also think Lara should display cuts and grazes as her condition gets worse. Another great idea would be if Lara used a medipack to treat her condition she would dress her injuries with bandages. They'll be on her person in the cinematics and would eventually fall off as she progresses through the game.

What do you think?

I'd also like it if Lara was to take a fall from a high ledge, she'd limp for a short period of time until she regained strength. This can be avoided or lessen her injury if you quickly press the roll button before she hit the ground to lessen her impact and perform a kind of

"Break fall" move.

I always make Lara do this when I play Legend and Anniversary...It's a sort of free-running move to keep your "flow" without falls slowing your speed, but if they were to apply better animation to it, like a shoulder roll...It would be ace!

And a very valueble move for the time trials... ;)

and thinking of injuries, when she jumps into water with crocodiles, they should only approach if she's bleeding and the water should colour. same with the sharks but this idea is too late for underworld

Edited by Fusion

Healing those wounds with bandages sounds like a good idea too, though I don't know if it would distract from the gameplay a bit and get a bit repetitive to some players who like to injure Lara having to watch her apply them every time she heals herself.

I can see how that would become repetitive but what if they just sort of instantly appear when she uses a health pack. Like when that glow washes over Lara her wounds have bandages over them. I know it isn't exactly realism but having a glow of light emanating from her body isn't either :lol:

And she really ought sigh like she used to instead of that weird sound...Heh

Oh yes, another thing...Currently,when you reset the game or load from your last checkpoint you're given full health and an extra medipack if you're out of them. I must admit I find this really helpful...But on the other hand, I do rely on it too much because I tend to not use medipacks reach a new checkpoint and let Lara die. Then, I'm at that new checkpoint with all my medipacks and full health.

Where's the challenge in that?

So, they should probably put an end to that, On the hard difficulty setting at least.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

I like the ideas of showing her vulnerability thru the limping (RE like), but I think it would distract from the TR "feel." I think the blood is good, but what would be even better is broken bones! You know how when she falls from REALLY high places she does her "death scream" and ends up like a twisted Gumby, well why not have a few bones sticking out from her deformed body? I know it sounds gross, but it would be realistic.

Back to the topic at hand, the pick-ups.... well, I think an inventory choice before the level starts, say at the mansion, would be cool as it would change the way the game is played. Medpacks and ammo she could get from fallen enemies after she swiss cheeses them with her dual pistols (those will be be back right?). For the levels or areas with no enemies, she could use herbs..... but because they're herbs maybe they only restore partial health (like the small medpacks). As far as ammo, when in these areas couldn't she just use her pistols? or is there no unlimited ammo?

Also, as a side note... what if they included side missions, where the reward was more ammo, upgrades, health etc.?

I like the ideas of showing her vulnerability thru the limping (RE like), but I think it would distract from the TR "feel." I think the blood is good, but what would be even better is broken bones! You know how when she falls from REALLY high places she does her "death scream" and ends up like a twisted Gumby, well why not have a few bones sticking out from her deformed body? I know it sounds gross, but it would be realistic.

I like the way you think :D

Back to the topic at hand, the pick-ups.... well, I think an inventory choice before the level starts, say at the mansion, would be cool as it would change the way the game is played. Medpacks and ammo she could get from fallen enemies after she swiss cheeses them with her dual pistols (those will be be back right?). For the levels or areas with no enemies, she could use herbs..... but because they're herbs maybe they only restore partial health (like the small medpacks). As far as ammo, when in these areas couldn't she just use her pistols? or is there no unlimited ammo?

Also, as a side note... what if they included side missions, where the reward was more ammo, upgrades, health etc.?

The dual pistols will be back, and they can even be fired underwater this time. Don't know if they'll have unlimited ammo though. The side missions thing sounds interesting, Core were trying to do that with Angel of Darkness but unfortunately couldn't implement it properly. I'd like it if they gave you rewards in the form of weapons and health packs for finding secrets in the levels (in addition to the unlockable content).

Unlockable side missions would be great for finding secrets. Say for every level if you found all the secrets, then you get a side mission in that location. I know that's asking too much, but it would be nice. At least one secret mission for finding all the secrets would be great.

I forgot that the dual pistols were back! but yeah, I couldn't find any info on whether or not it was unlimited ammo. I have a feeling it will be as I think they know fans would be upset to have that iconic weapon back and then run out of ammo.

Unlockable side missions would be great for finding secrets. Say for every level if you found all the secrets, then you get a side mission in that location. I know that's asking too much, but it would be nice. At least one secret mission for finding all the secrets would be great.

I forgot that the dual pistols were back! but yeah, I couldn't find any info on whether or not it was unlimited ammo. I have a feeling it will be as I think they know fans would be upset to have that iconic weapon back and then run out of ammo.

Well they've been back since Tomb Raider: Legend thankfully. The ammo for them was unlimited so I don't see why CrystalD would try and change the system for them now, especially since it didn't work in AoD (though it made sense considering Lara actually left the house without them for the first time and had to find weapons and ammo).

As for unlockable side missions, I like the idea, though I think it would work much better if there were side 'quests' within the actual levels. They are apparantely very large levels with a non-linear route, so it seems plausible that they would include something like this in TR:U and I hope they do.

MsC

i agree that side missions within each level would be pretty cool. I like that idea

Instead of receiving rewards for collecting all the secrets in a level/in the game, I'd really prefer if the secrets (in the event that they are in the game at all) were pick-ups like in TR1, 3 and 4. They were very useful, and I don't know about you guys, but I'm much more compelled to look for them if I know I'm going to get ammo and/or medipacks rather than a bonus mission at the end of the game.

Instead of receiving rewards for collecting all the secrets in a level/in the game, I'd really prefer if the secrets (in the event that they are in the game at all) were pick-ups like in TR1, 3 and 4. They were very useful, and I don't know about you guys, but I'm much more compelled to look for them if I know I'm going to get ammo and/or medipacks rather than a bonus mission at the end of the game.

i agree, i believe it would be more benefical for pickups in TR 8 for secrets instead of just the bronze, silver, or gold medals...hopefully CD will do that.