Everything about Movies and DVDs

Guested Account

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had high hopes for Ocean's 8 but it turned out it's another let's get a bunch of women together so we can prop up women's empowerment [and the new #MeToo movement] like the Ghostbusters reboot did.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5164214/reviews

So I'll wait for the DVD.

Just because it made $41 or so millions at the box office and it's the top film of the weekend, it doesn't mean it's any good.

By next weekend it will drop by at least 50% especially with Incredibles 2 hitting the theaters next Friday, these women won't have a chance.

CAN'T ANYONE make a movie nowadays without infusing their own Political Agenda, Political Views, Political Correctness, etc etc into the movie?

Same thing happened with Star Wars Episode 8 The Last Jedi.

That's why the director Rian Johnson is the most hated person right now in the Star Wars universe when he chose to make the film about his Political views and agenda and he has just been given the reign to his own 3 films Star Wars Trilogy that has nothing to do with the Original trilogy.

The Star Wars fans are so mad at Disney and Johnson and Lucasfilm over The Last Jedi, that's why SOLO is flopping.

They chose to boycott SOLO.

Edited by j7wild

• 2 weeks later...

We re-watched Salt for the 3rd time the other day.

So is Salt a Russian sleeper agent or not?

You have all those flashback scenes showing kids being trained to become sleeper agents and the scene where the Russian guy told Salt, when she was still a kid right before she was put into an American foster home: this is the last time you will see me. When you grow up you will go to Princeton and work for the CIA.

So she grew up, got a job as an agent at the CIA, and had a change of heart? She faked the assassination of the Russian President and she killed all the other Russian sleeper agents on the docked ship, after they murdered her husband in front of her by drowning him.

I don't think her husband dying is what turned her to become good because the fake assassination of the Russian President was before her husband dying.

Then after that she tried to save the U.S. President and she stopped her boss at the CIA, who was also another Russian sleeper agent, from launching nuclear missiles.

I also don't think she was turned by the CIA as an agent and was a double agent because the way the CIA was chasing her, they were truly convinced she was a Russian agent who infiltrate the CIA and they didn't know she was actually one of the good guys.

I guess what I am asking is when did she become a good guy or has she always been a good guy even when she was being trained as a Russian sleeper agent?

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4881806/

39b3da903533444.jpg 617dba903533454.jpg 

It was okay but not great.

Some parts of it felt recycled.

A couple of the supporting characters were very poorly written and very annoying.

The trailers themselves were also a bit misleading.

Personally, I think they should had stopped after the 2nd film, the last time a Jurassic Park franchise film was actually directed by Steven Spielberg.

But you know Hollywood: as long as people will pay to see it, they will keep cranking them out no matter how banale and absurd and repetitive each new entry becomes.

So of course there will be a sequel. 

It's already has a release date scheduled: June 11th, 2021.

Both Pratt and Howard will reprise their roles.

2.5/5

Edited by j7wild

So I read that the next Star Trek movie won't have Chekov.

Out of respect for Anton Yelchin and his family after his tragic death, the character of Chekov will not be recast and filled by a new actor.

This is the original U.S.S. Enterprise of the original series and it wouldn't be the  original U.S.S. Enterprise of the original series without Chekov as the Navigator of it.

Thoroughbreds (2017)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5649108/

01bd42906002504.jpg c0cb3a906002514.jpg e93df0906002534.jpg 

Amanda (Olivia Cooke of Ready Player One)) is a social outcast. Lily (Anya Taylor-Joy of Morgan) is an upper class teenager. They are childhood friends who have just been reunited after being some time apart. Together they plan the murder of the Lily's oppressive stepfather.

I've watched many a teenage girls vengeance/black comedies/thrillers in my lifetime.

Some great ones like Heathers, The Craft, Heavenly Creatures, Carrie, Happy Birthday to Me, Jawbreaker and some not so great ones like The Loved Ones, All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, The Crush and All Cheerleaders Die.

This one sort of falls in between the great and the not so great.

There is a long slow set up punctuated by very well written intelligent dialogue between the two very talented young actresses.

But once the act of murder arrives after all the build up and anticipation:

I felt like a diner who has just left a fine dining restaurant after eating a 5 course meal of gourmet soup, appetizer, salad and dessert but the main course was very lacking and disappointing.

3/5

p.s. This is Anton Yelchin's (Chekov in the new Star Trek movies) final film appearance. He passed away in a tragic accident 14 days after principal photography was completed.

• 2 weeks later...

Incident In A Ghostland (2018) (On Screen Title) aka Ghostland

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6195094/

9c79b1914481994.jpg 

A mother and her two daughters, ages approximate 12-15, are traveling on the road on their way to their new home in the country.

Along the way, a truck passes them by and one of the girls flips her finger at its occupants.

That night while they were still moving into their new home, the occupants of the truck shows up at their home and attack them.

Both girls and their mother survive the brutal and violent attack.

Years pass and one of the daughter, the youngest one, has moved to Chicago where she has become a national best selling author of horror books.

Her mother and oldest sister are still living in their country home.

She returns home to reunite with them and strange happenings begin as soon as she arrives.

Are these occurrences supernatural or is there something else at play here?

The first part of the movie, the brutal attack scene had me on the edge of my seat and I jumped a few times.

The second part of the movie when the youngest sister returns home to find strange things are happening in the house around her, there was an eerie sense of terror and tension which had my attention.

Then the screenwriters and director decide to ruin the mood by revealing the whole cause of the story just a few minutes after the sister has returned home, with the movie not even halfway played through.

Once the truth was revealed, the movie turned into a standard mechanical horror movie.

Loud noises, things jumping out at you, lots of screaming and sobbing from the two sisters, lots of running in the house trying to escape unseen attackers, up the stairs, down the stairs, in one room, out of another room, doors to rooms slamming, locked doors not opening and the sisters banging on the doors while screaming help help please, open the door, etc etc.

If the screenwriters and director had let the movie played through all the way to the end and waited until then for the big twist reveal, this horror film would had been great and it would had worked better.

But nope! Too eager to let the cat out of the bag thus ruining what was an otherwise promising good start.

By the way, this is the same movie where actress Taylor Hickson, one of the young actress who played one of the sisters at age 15, was hurt in an on set accident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostland#Accident[

I don't know the outcome of the lawsuit but I hope she wins. It looks like they used real glass and not sugar glass. Really what were they thinking? The director and the stunt coordinator and the set builders were all at fault!

Finally, this is one of half a dozen films I've seen in recent years where characters in them flipped their fingers at someone and the result is bringing violence and mayhem to themselves.

This is not confined to fictional movies. This has also happened in real life.

Don't go flipping your fingers at people even if they do something to piss you off!! You may think it's cool and funny and it gives you a sense of superiority and satisfaction when you do it but you don't know who it is you are being rude to.

There are a lot of crazy people out there and it doesn't take much to set them off and turn them into violent murderous animals.

Every action has consequences and sometimes those consequences can result in harm and death toward you or someone you love.

3/5

Edited by j7wild

Calibre (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6218358/

daeb14916883014.jpg 

Two lifelong friends go hunting in the Scottish Highlands.

That is all I can tell you without spoiling it about this dark, not for the squeamish, bleak Netflix thriller that questions our humanity.

Rated 90% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and 6.7 out of 10 on IMDB.

I highly recommend it and rate it a 4.75/5

• 2 weeks later...

2 brothers! One destined to be King. One NOT. The latter wants to be King. The former doesn't want to but then he has no choice but to follow his destiny (the recycled destiny plot again!!) and challenges and fight his rogue brother to save his kingdom and the Earth world.

The SAME OLD PLOT over and over again with these annoying Comic books based movies.

Also... if they are underwater creatures, why do they have legs?

Edited by j7wild

These were my reviews of the previous 5 Mission Impossible movies:

Mission Impossible (1996) - 2/5 - I didn't like the idea of Jim being the bad guy - that was sacrilegious and the story was convoluted.

Mission Impossible 2 (2000)  - 3.5/5 - John Woo is a good action director but this movie has more holes than Swiss cheese - probably because the final cut was 2 hr and 3 min and Woo actually filmed 3 1/2 hrs of footage.

Mission Impossible 3 (2006) - 3.75/5 - A bit better than the previous 2 M-I entries but they should had done without the romance/marriage subplot.

Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol (2011) - 2.5/5 - It was alright - not fantastic or great - just mindless entertainment to kill 2+ hrs.

Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation (2015) - 3/5 - Once again another M: I movie with parts that don't make sense and convenient plot devices including they just happen to get that stuff and this stuff or conveniently has something on hand to get the job done...

Furthermore when the screenwriters decided to write out the most interesting character in the movie immediately following the opening credit montage, you know this movie is going to suck!

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4912910/

b31f5f929878164.jpg 73b86e929878214.jpg 065386929878224.jpg 

The Mission: Impossible films have become like the James Bond films.

Each new film trying to top the last film in the series and by doing so, each one gets more over the top than the previous one and sometimes becoming a parody of itself.

When you go watch a movie, you are supposed to remember it's all fantasy and make believe and as long as you suspend disbelief and try not to think too hard about what you are seeing on screen, you will enjoy the movie more.

But there are some scenes in Fallout that makes you want to say: there is absolutely no ducking way!!

Just like the Dubai tower 119th floor outside scaling and jump stunt scene in Ghost Protocol even if that scene was shot with multiple safety cables that were erased in post production using Photoshop.

The James Bond films will continue: they will just cast another British or near British guy to play the role or someone who speaks with funny British accent.

But the Mission: Impossible films?

How many more can they make with the Crazy Cuckoo Guy getting old?

He is 56 now.

At this point in the series after 6 films, you just can't see anyone else playing Ethan Hunt unless they reboot the series.

I think there will be another M:I film after this (by that time he will be almost 60) and possibly one more and he will be quitting the role.

I still haven't forgiven him for ruining Katie Holmes forever.

Katie Holmes said when she was a little girl, she dreamt of growing up and marrying Tom Cruise.

She got her wish and you can see what he did to her.

Remember ladies: be careful what you wish for because you might just get it and it won't be what you wished and hoped for and it won't have a happily ever after like in Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella and Snow White.

Those Disney animated films where the girl finds her Prince Charming and lives happily ever after are the worse things for women to watch while they were growing up: it gives them unrealistic expectation about relationship and marriage and by the time they figure out it was all distorted and askew, they have already married and divorced: their entire social life and outlook on love and marriage and men has crashed and burned and it's in a smoking fiery pile of disappointment making them bitter and harsh toward any poor unsuspecting men that happens to enter their lives afterward for the rest of their lives.

3/5

Edited by j7wild

Happy Birthday, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

He is 71 today.

Isn't he kind of old to be playing a Terminator again?

What is he going to say?

I'll Be Back... with a walker!!

:grin:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a22592117/arnold-schwarzenegger-terminator-revival/

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3512729/arnold-schwarzenegger-begins-filming-terminator-scenes/

Edited by j7wild