Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum
j7wild

Everything about Movies and DVDs

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/ridley-scott-paramount-gladiator-sequel-1203017584/

Oh really?

After all these 18 years?

By the time it will be released, it may be 20 years.

It's been proven most sequels to commercially popular films that took too many years to be made and released don't do well commercially and critically: 

"out of sight out of mind people no longer care after so long" principle.

The first one was over-rated drivel and it didn't deserve to win Best Picture nor Best Actor.

Also considering director Ridley Scott's recent attempts at trying to revive the Alien franchise with 2 disappointing movies, I wouldn't put too much stock in this sequel.

I don't think Gladiator really needs a sequel. It's a great movie just on it's own.

And I agree, it's the same as the Avatar sequels -- is anyone interested anymore?

At the slow rate Cameron is working on Avatar 2 (2020 or later), 3 and 4, no one cares.

I know I don't.

Incredibles 2 (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3606756/

917b571018175924.jpg 1c6da81018175944.jpg b6cb9b1018175974.jpg aca9f71018175994.jpg ab57b51018176014.jpg 8f6dff1018176054.jpg 

14 years ago, a Pixar animated movie named The Incredibles defied all expectations and odds and pre-release criticism by earning critical accolades, breaking box office records and making the other studios' animated departments stand up and take notice.

The movies watching public wanted more. The critics wanted more. The studio wanted more. They all kept asking for an Incredibles sequel.

The film's director Brad Bird said he will do a sequel when he felt the moment is right and not one minute sooner.

After 14 years of unabated anticipation, the world has finally gotten its The Incredibles sequel and what a sequel it is.

Where most sequels today have failed to capitalize on the quality and freshness and originality and success and discovery of the original films it follows, sequels such as Taken II, Speed 2: Cruise Control, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Independence Day: Resurgence, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Batman v. Superman, Thor: The Dark World. The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Incredibles II has surpassed the original.

It's exciting, fun, family oriented and heart warming.

To say any more is to give the movie away which I won't.

I do want to say that the film is rated PG:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3606756/parentalguide

there are some parts that I don't think are completely suitable for children ages up to 13 but those parts may just fly over the head of the youngest of those children without them noticing or comprehending what is going on and the older of those children may just shrug it off and have a couple of chuckles about it.

5/5

p.s. 

How well was this sequel received by audiences?

It was released about 5 months ago in June and it has already earned a combined domestic and worldwide box office of $1.235 billion !!

:blink:

Edited by j7wild

I saw the preview for season 2 of Orville while watching Thursday Night Football last night.

New season begins on Sunday, December 30th.

I found the Comic-Con trailer:

When I first saw the trailer for Overlord https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4530422/ back in September, I posted this in another forum:

"As soon as I saw that Black soldier in a C-47 sitting among White soldiers, all of them wearing the Screaming Eagles patch of the 101st Airborne, I turned the trailer off.

Combat units and support units in the U.S. Army during World War II were segregated.

Desegragation in all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces didn't occur until 1948.

If there were any whites in Black U.S. Army units, they were officers and maybe some NCOs.

Now I said U.S. Army because the U.S. Marines did not have any Blacks in their ranks as combat soldiers.

There were over 19,000 Blacks in the U.S. Marines and only 75% of them were sent to the Pacific theater but they served as stewards, ammunition and supply handlers and stevedores (cargo ships loaders and unloaders).

Some of them did see some action but not as an infantry combat unit because there were no Black U.S. Marines infantry combat units during World War II.

They saw combat because they just happen to be assigned to places like Saipan, handling ammunition and supplies for the front line White U.S. Marines infantry combat units.

There was only one Black Paratroopers unit in the entire U.S. Army during World War II and they didn't participate in D-Day because their numbers weren't at full fighting strength to be considered a Battalion.

They were considered to be send to reinforce the U.S. lines during the Battle of the Bulge but by the time they were considered to be reorganized and activated as an Airborne Rifle Company, the battle was over.

They ended up spending the rest of World War II as firefighters on the West Coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555th_Parachute_Infantry_Battalion_(United_States)

Now that the movie has finally been released, I am not the only one who've noticed it.

Here's a review from IMDB:

"I get that this is a horror film and that the left in Hollywood like to play fast and loose with history in order to make certain people or ethnic groups feel "good" about themselves, (or in the case of white males, bad about themselves,) but a film about someone of the black African race being a paratrooper in WW2 and being dropped behind enemy lines in Nazi German occupied Europe ETC, is not only the normal cringe worthy crap, it's just plain stupid.....almost like those who made this film are five year olds with ZERO knowledge of WW2 or the fact that the US armed forces were segregated until 1948, three years AFTER WW2. We really are being dumbed down in order to fit this fake leftist narrative of history."

Toy Story 4 (2019)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979376/

d96c5c1030338744.jpg 

I remember the first one.

I vaguely remember the second one.

I don't remember the third one.

I also don't remember one of the toys being a girl doll.

She must had showed up in the 2nd one or the 3rd one?

It's been almost 8 1/2 years since the 3rd one, believe it or not!

Edited by j7wild

She was in the second one as she was part of a set that included Woody. All are good IMO. In the 3rd they found a new home with a young girl I believe. 

I wasn't aware that James Cameron's Titanic had an alternate ending.

I am glad they didn't use this - it just looks awful.

Rose is a liar, a tramp and a self-centered selfish 101 years old woman!

She is a liar because she tells Jack's frozen body she will never let go and then lets him go to save her own sorry butt.

She is a liar again when she tells Bill Paxton's character she hasn't seen that Heart of the Ocean diamond in years when in truth she had it the whole time the past 84 years.

She is a tramp because she cheated on her fiancee and back in those days, women cheating on men were considered a cardinal sin - something as serious as committing murder.

She is a self-centered selfish woman because there was enough room on that floating piece of wood for both she and Jack.

f38bd91031047164.jpg 

Edited by j7wild

Wow. I felt she didn't love the other guy after all and found love with someone else regardless of how much money he had.

She didn't care she'd marry into wealth nor did she try to sell the jewelry. All she cared about was the time she spent with the person she loved.

It's ok to call off a wedding if it doesn't feel right than making a commitment for the wrong reasons. 

It is now but back in 1912, women didn't call off weddings even if they don't love the guy especially when the wedding is arranged so both she and her mother will have money to live on and a restored family name.

Finally finish watching the entire The Haunting of Hill House series, all 10 episodes, totaling over 9 1/2 hours.

It took me over 3 weeks.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6763664/

My thoughts:

it could had been shorter, a lot shorter!!

The repetition of the same dozens scenes over and over was fastidious: they will show a scene for example a character in the kitchen and then cut away to another scene. Then in another episode they will show another scene which seque into that character in the kitchen and then cut away again. Then in another episode they will show a bit more of just before the part before the character went to the kitchen and then the character in the kitchen.

It was quite annoying that they did that over and over with dozens of set pieces.

If you took all those repetitive scenes over and over each one with just a few more minutes of exposition in front of it and added them all up, you had enough material for at least 3 episodes and they don't really make that much of the difference on the story.

Also episodes 6 and 7 were very annoying to watch - they were just poorly written and they kept dragging on and on like a broken record.

Finally I already said this before and now that I have viewed the entire series, I will say it again:

the story is about a haunted house and I don't mind a bit of character development but there was way too much character development and not enough information on the house: why is it haunted? What's the story of the people who built it and lived there before? 

They kind of touched on that information here and there but not in much detail and then ghosts of people past will appear and some of them except for a couple who had a bit more backstory were just there: you don't know who they are, why they are there, who they were when they were alive, what connection they had to the house, etc.

There were also parts that made no sense in term of continuity of the whole story especially in Episode 10.

Honestly if they ended the series at the end of Episode 9, it would also not had made any difference.

This series is based on the 1969 novel of the same name which was also the basis of the 1963 film (the horro classic with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom) and the 1999 film (the stinker with Llam Neeson and Catherine Zeta Jones, remember it?), both with the title of The Haunting.

I think I still like the 1963 film adaptation better than this over long 9 1/2 hours plus series.

Edited by j7wild

I saw a trailer for this movie on HBO and MTV this weekend.  It looks interesting but....they gave the girl Anime eyes.......

I think it would more realistic/plausible if she did not have Anime eyes.

I've never read the manga that the movie is based on, and I think the manga/anime use the huge eyes as it being a japanese anime.  But....anime eyes just do not belong on humans.

Take away her anime eyes and I think movie would be pretty damn good. 

Alita Battle Angel 

Yeah Alita Battle Angel was supposed to come out this summer but was delayed until February 14th 2019. I think it'll be a great film. James Cameron wrote it.

1 hour ago, Tom@LCO said:

Yeah Alita Battle Angel was supposed to come out this summer but was delayed until February 14th 2019. I think it'll be a great film. James Cameron wrote it.

The trailer for it I saw on MTV made it look like an interesting movie. But anime eyes do not work in non anime looking humans. Or at least on such a small face as hers. eyes half her face xD

True.  And a part of me is glad they are taking one of the defining features of the Manga, but still, I just feel if you are going to do a realistic version of anime, let the Japs do it.  The land of anime origins and "trap" cosplay :)

But I think Alita Battle Angel will be decent movie, even if I haven't read the relative manga.

Then when it goes on Netflix end of next year I can watch it lol

Peppermint (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6850820/

d0c7de1039303164.jpg 

One of the better "Revenge/Vigilante" movie in the same league as Kill Bill, Death Wish 1974, Taxi Driver, Taken and John Wick.

Jennifer Garner holds up her own as an action heroine out for revenge after members of the Mexican cartel murders her daughter and husband.

The movie dwells a bit on the right and on the wrong part and whether she has the right to take the law in her own hand.

Fortunately it doesn't get too preachy.

The ending makes me thing this may become a movie Franchise for Jennifer Garner - which by the way this film is from the same director who gave us Taken.

4/5

Edited by j7wild

98c1661039395514.jpg 

Warner Bros. Pictures and actress Margot Robbie have revealed the full title for the upcoming Harley Quinn spin-off film which has been going by the name “Birds of Prey” so far.

Robbie shared on Instagram the title page of Christina Hodson’s script which has “Birds of Prey” typed out followed by the hand-written “(And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)”. THR has subsequently confirmed that yes that is the full title and not just the actress having some fun.

In other words, it’s a riff on both “Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb” and “Birdman (or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)”.

Robbie reprises the Quinn role in the film in which she assembles a girl gang of friends to take on Black Mask (Ewan McGregor). The film co-stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress, Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary, Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya and Ella Jay Basco as Cassandra Cain.

Cathy Yan (WHO?????? https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4014166/#director  Where are they digging up these directors with no big budget commercial movies directing experience to direct a big movie from?) is directing the ensemble which opens in cinemas February 7th 2020.

Venom (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270797/

c1c0641048060724.jpg 

If you search online for the definition of Hot Mess

You will get many results but mainly, you will get several similar results including these two:

1. ...refers to when a "person's appearance is in a state of total disarray while still maintaining an undeniable attractiveness & allure."

Hot messes' are appealing for a variety of reasons, most notably because they're generally unexpected, capricious, & agonizingly provocative. Additionally, numerous contingent factors make duplication rare and continual repetition virtually impossible.

No one set of guidelines can perpetually determine what distinguishes a "hot mess" from an above-average train wreck. Regardless of the circumstances, you know it when you see it; because they are typically conspicuous, and obviously they are always awesome."...

2. ...A disheveled or unbalanced person, particularly one who is nevertheless — or therefore — attractive...

That is exactly what Venom, the latest film based on yet another Marvel Comic is, a:

Hot Mess

Venom is also the first film to be produced by Sony under the Sony's Marvel Universe, not part of the long running 20 films (and counting) Marvel Cinematic Universe produced by Marvel studios.

Originally Sony wanted to make this an R rated film and decided to make it a PG-13 film for the obvious reason:

it will sell more tickets at the box office.

The result is a movie that should be dark horror film but it doesn't work because it had to meet PG-13 rating guidelines.

Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams do their best with their roles but for the entire film, they are mostly just window dressing.

The ongoing plot with Carlton Drake, a multi-billionaire modeled after Elon Musk (?), who has his own spaceships that will make NASA green with envy is just absurd and unbelievable.

For a movie with a nearly $116 million dollars budget, the CGI looks like it was made in the 90's using computers before computers had Windows and Pentium and AMD and ATI and 3dfx.

This movie feels like one of those horror B-movies from the 90's.

It's not fun, it's not exciting, it's not suspenseful, it's not thrilling.

The only reason it's doing so well at the box office is

1. because it's another Marvel comics based movie so naturally everyone from age 5 to 30 will run to see it

and

2. because it's a

Hot Mess

I can't recommend this movie one bit.

1/5

Edited by j7wild