Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shrensh

Game killing bugs in Tomb Raider Underworld (minor spoilers for puzzles inside)

Xibalba and Midgard Serpent (XBox 360, PS3 and PC)

If triggered, this bug will halt your progress through the game and will cause you to have to either restart Mexico from the very beginning or restart the whole game if you haven't been manually saving. It causes a ramp at the beginning of the Midgard Serpent area to not be raised, making it impossible to proceed.

This is the advice from Crystal D and Eidos on how to avoid it (taken from http://www.eidos.co.uk/support/faqinfo.htm...6&gmid=215)

Tomb Raider: Underworld - Southern Mexico, Midgard Serpent Chapter - Unable to jump across first pit as ramp is down.

After extensive playthroughs of this area we have managed to work out the reason why some people have been unable to proceed upon reaching the first ramp in the Midgard Sepent chapter.

The Cause:

In Southern Mexico - Chapter: Unnamed Days

Upon entering the area before the Calendar puzzles the player drives through an underground tunnel. Turning Left at the fork in the trail (turning right would take you to the first calendar puzzle building which you can see at this junction) and continuing on to the first spike pit which activates a checkpoint. If you die before activating another checkpoint (usually in this same spike pit as mentioned), when you reach the Midgard Serpent level the first ramp to jump the pit will be down and you will not be able to continue.

To avoid this issue when playing through for the first time:

Upon entering the area before the Calendar puzzles the player drives through an underground tunnel. Turning right at the fork in the trail toward the building (and the first Calendar puzzle). Entering the building results in a cinematic, the next Chapter will start (Xibalba) and an autosave will be created. After this, the issue with the Ramp in the Midgard Serpent Chapter will not appear.

Workaround for Xbox 360 version:

Load the Autosave - Southern Mexico - Chapter: The Unnamed Days

Upon entering the area before the Calendar puzzles the player drives through an underground tunnel. Turning right at the fork in the trail toward the building (and the first Calendar puzzle). Entering the building results in a cinematic, the next Chapter will start (Xibalba) and an autosave will be created. After this, the issue with the Ramp in the Midgard Serpent Chapter will not appear.

Workaround for Playstation 3 version:

Load a manual save at the start of Southern Mexico - Chapter: The Unnamed Days (Or any other Manual save prior to this point.)

Workaround for PC version:

Load a manual save at the start of Southern Mexico - Chapter: The Unnamed Days (Or any other Manual save prior to this point.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coastal Thailand (Wii)

This bug causes a switch which should open an underwater door to disappear, and will make it impossible to continue.

From Eidos:

After the MAP ROOM where they spin a large structure using Thor’s Gauntlet for the first time, a lever is sometimes not appearing (Lara would normally jump onto the lever and use her bodyweight to make it move downwards).

The solution is to either reload an earlier save and play through the level again, or if you have an SD card you can download saves from Eidos at the following locations:

Here for the European PAL edition

Here for the North American NTSC edition

Instructions:

1. Unzip the file

2. Place the contents of the unzipped folder onto an SD card.

3. Ensure the Wii is off and insert the SD Card into the Wii.

4. Boot up the Wii without the disc in.

5. Go to the Wii Options -> Select Save Data -> Select Wii -> Select SD Card.

6. Select the TR:Underworld file and then select the option copy to Wii memory

7. After save is copied remove SD card and reboot the Wii.

8. Start the game and Load the Save.

Edited by Shrensh
Adding info on Coastal Thailand Wii bug

Sorry to hear you had the bug Shrensh, but I must thank you for posting about it - as I read your post juuuust before I came to that bit which was very handy

You're welcome :) I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to try re-starting the level or use BP's save, so I think I'll just go throw Lara off cliffs instead to vent my frustration :smiley:

No, it's been happening across multiple platforms (PC, XBox 360 and PS3, from what I've read at the Eidos forums). It's just a particularly frustrating one as it kills your progress in the game...

EDIT: I've gone back and re-done the level, reversing the order I in which I did the puzzles, and the ramps were up like they were supposed to be at the beginning of Midgard Serpent. Thanks for the save though, BP :)

Edited by Shrensh

Eidos and Crystal D have offered some official advice on how to avoid the bug, and how to resolve the problem if you have encountered it. The cause is completely different to all the theories I'd read so I've updated my original post.

Go here for more information:

http://www.eidos.co.uk/support/faqinfo.htm...26&gmid=215