Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

SEARCH LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME

Windows 7 Beta Your Opinion?

I know it's only in beta but lol my god it's so slow and awful didn't even find my lan driver and that is like

such a basic item to find. I kind of expected it actually. They really need to just make a better version of XP

if that's possible because since Bill Gates left they seem to be sinking the ship over there and allowing Apple

and Linux to grow. I installed Linux Mint after I couldn't roll it back. Found everything and what a great OS.

They have 455 free applications that do the same as ones you have to pay for snd it runs so much faster

than Windows or Mac. It might not look as fancy but the functionality is what impresses me.

If anyone is interested in Linux I have tried a few and Linux Mint so far is the most friendly.

http://www.linuxmint.com Even creates a dual boot and you can run it live without installing anything first.

I haven't tried it myself, but from the demos I've seen the way the taskbar works in Win7 is going to annoy the absolute heck out of me. They seem to have made it like that dock you get in Apple Macs. I hate that stupid Apple dock. If there's a way to turn that off and get the taskbar and quicklaunch bar like it is in WinXP I'd be willing to use it...

I've read that it's 100% better than Vista in realbility and performance. It's "what Vista should have been". Microsoft have even said this.

Most of the people that were over critical to Vista, are way happier with Windows 7.

Also the tech peeps say that this is the first beta from Microsoft that could go gold - like tomorrow. :P

It's 2.2GB and I just don't have the bandwidth to download it, which sucks! The cut off is the end of this month. :(

So *I* can't say how it works for me.

I think it's excellent. Very sleek, and it's the most stable beta OS I've ever used. Almost everything I've tried on it so far has run straight away. I actually didn't mind Vista, i think a lot of people criticise vista just because they follow the bad press it got.

In regards to what you said Shrensh, I also love the quick launch toolbar and was a miffed at first that it had gone. However..I found that the new system actually works as a quick launch toolbar really... I think it is possible to go back to the old method too but need to double check that.

I wouldnt criticise it with regards to it not finding your LAN driver Tom, for the simple reason that it's the manufactures who program the drivers from the new versions of windows, and then they pass them onto MS to include them. With it being a beta version, most manufacturers have had very little time to program new drivers yet (although many vista drivers will work fine). I'm sure in the final version it will have your LAN Driver. It didn't find BPanthers ATI video card driver but again, that's only because ATI haven't made one.. we had to modify an ati beta driver manually to get it running, but I know that a final working one will be in the final version of windows 7.

In regards to what you said Shrensh, I also love the quick launch toolbar and was a miffed at first that it had gone. However..I found that the new system actually works as a quick launch toolbar really... I think it is possible to go back to the old method too but need to double check that.

It's not so much the quick launch bar I'm concerned about, it's the whole taskbar. From what I've seen they've made it so that you only have one button on the taskbar for each program, even if you have multiple windows open for that program. That will drive me absolutely insane because I'm neurotic about the taskbar. At the moment if I open too many windows and they all get smooshed into one button on the taskbar, I have to immediately start closing windows until they all unsmoosh, no matter what I happen to be in the middle of. I cannot handle not being able what windows I have open and it's the reason I'll never ever own an Apple Mac. Not to mention you can't use the Win7 taskbar thing to open a new window if you already have an instance of the program running, which I think is completely stupid. It'll be the very first thing I change if I ever get Windows 7...

It's not so much the quick launch bar I'm concerned about, it's the whole taskbar. From what I've seen they've made it so that you only have one button on the taskbar for each program, even if you have multiple windows open for that program. That will drive me absolutely insane because I'm neurotic about the taskbar. At the moment if I open too many windows and they all get smooshed into one button on the taskbar, I have to immediately start closing windows until they all unsmoosh, no matter what I happen to be in the middle of. I cannot handle not being able what windows I have open and it's the reason I'll never ever own an Apple Mac. Not to mention you can't use the Win7 taskbar thing to open a new window if you already have an instance of the program running, which I think is completely stupid. It'll be the very first thing I change if I ever get Windows 7...

Fair point, I know what you mean about the 'smoosh' thing.. I've always disalbed that on Vista and Xp, although I also tend to make my taskbar 2 'layers' high so it happens less often anway. I've just checked on Windows 7 and you can choose between "Always smoosh", "Smoosh when taskbar is crowded" and "Never smoosh", so it looks fairly easy to disable.

One thing I'm a bit funny about is having everything in the right order.. when I'm working I have a lot of things open and I like to keep them in a particular order on the taskbar.. so I'm quite pleased that now, it's very easy to drag and drop the order of things on the taskbar.. in fact, I'm stunned that they never thought of that before!

As for the bit about clicking the icon not opening a new instance of the program... you're right.. that does suck. I don't know if there's any way around that but it'd be worth looking into!!

Yeah, I'm very neurotic about having everything in the same order on the taskbar too, so I'm very happy that you can drag the buttons around in Win7. I rather like the look of Windows 7 and since it appears that I'll be able to customise the taskbar to be how I like it, I'm thinking that I should buy me a new computer with it when it's released...

Is this something I'm gonna have to pay £300 odd for when it's released? I'm rather pleased it's better than Vista in the performance and reliability area, but I would like them to focus on making Vista better so I don't have to spend hundreds of pounds on a new one until I get a new computer.

I don't mind Vista that much, either, but it is a resource hog. I know I can turn off Aero but it looks dull without it turned on and I quite like the visuals of Aero.

MsC

Lara - Vista is dead to Microsoft. LOL

They even delayed SP2 by a few months.

There hasn't been any pricing charts but they're only going to be 3 editions (as opposed to Vista's 6 editions). Home, Professional, Ultimate. If you upgrade from Vista, it will be cheaper. I don't think it will be as high as Vista - hopefully not. I don't know why we can't have one version for $150. Sigh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Shrensh - I think I'll like the new taskbar/start menu. But I also like change. lol

I know...it wouldn't surprise me if they just made Vista rubbish on purpose so everyone would buy the new amazing Windows 7!

*Sigh* Ah well, hope it won't be too expensive.

MsC

one word:

Ubuntu

:woho:

and it's free and better than Microsucks OS

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition

Yeah but do you use it lol I tried Ubuntu but I like Linux Mint better it more like windows in it's layout.

I guess the big question is could you switch and do everything you do in windows and for the most part yes.

There is an app called Virtual Box by Sun Microsystems allows you to install XP or Vista and run it in a

virtual environment within Linux. I have yet to try that. If I can get that going than yes I can lol.

Best of all though they have about 455 apps that do the same as others and are free. You just click and they

install. If you want an app from outside their software portal you just need to find a Debian exe.

Windows 7 is vista with many bug fixes and speed improvements.

I been testing some of our software on it. its faster than Vista.

They removed most of the UAC.

Vista is awful, Win7 seems to work much better.

At work we been using vista for about 12 months and we still have connection issues with it. Whereas Win7 never had this have this problem.

Although, I don't use either at home, Just a tuned XP machine, is very fast. and a linux box.

As far as speed goes, try install SP3 into XP, i noticed a speed improvement with this SP.

When my friends use my PC they ask why it runs so fast. You maintained your PC well ( only have 26 processes in the task Manager ) ? etc... 20 minutes of suggested tuning solutions and they total confused.

u want fast loading web pages? use Firefox with ad blockers, its the banners and ads that take long time to load from overloaded servers.

Edited by Mick

OMOGMOGMOGMO! I loveeee it. BIG improvement over Vista and the ageing dinosaur XP. :)

Shrensh you don't HAVE to use the superbar:

Get Quick Launch toolbar back

Right-click the taskbar, choose Toolbars / New Toolbar

In the folder selection dialog, enter the following string and hit OK:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Turn off the "lock the taskbar" setting, and right-click on the divider. Make sure that "Show text" and "Show title" are disabled and the view is set to "small icons".

Use the dividers to rearrange the toolbar ordering to choice, and then lock the taskbar again.

Windows Vista taskbar

Right-click on the taskbar and choose the properties dialog. Select the "small icons" checkbox and under the "taskbar buttons" setting, choose "combine when taskbar is full".

Lara - don't upgrade over Vista. Dual boot.

I had no clue how do it first. But I was surprised how simple it was.

http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-...ith-xp-or-vista

I would give it more than 16GB. I gave mine 20GB (which I should have done more).

When you get it installed. Just go to Computer and under your main drive and get files you want and just drag and drop to your Windows 7 drive. :) (And by files I meant like pictures, music, etc. Of course if you dragged the Firefox icon to Windows 7 - it's not going to work. You'll have to install it on your Windows 7 drive. Btw Firefox and Chrome works.)

AVG works for Windows 7. Only the Windows Firewall works (which is a big improvement over Vistas). Of course there's some programs that won't work, but you can just google and see if there's a fix or workaround.

The installation is very short and simple too.