Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum
Ms.Croft

Tomb Raider: Underworld For PS2 Out Now!

Well, I was in town today and my local video game store was advertising the PS2 version of Tomb Raider: Underworld as released today! Eidos kept it fairly quiet if you ask me, which is odd, but I'm glad you PS2 users can finally get the game!

I don't know if it's universal, but it's definitely released in England today, so I assume it'll be near you Americans/Europeans/Australians...etc, if it's not already soon.

MsC

PS2 Release Dates Confirmed U.S. Must wait until March!?

Posted by admin on Jan 21, 2009

PS2 Release Dates Confirmed

It’s the PS2 release dates for Tomb Raider: Underworld:

UK, Italy, BeNeLux – 23rd of January

Scandinavia – 26th of January

France, Germany, Spain – 30th of January

US – Early March (Yes if you can believe it)

PS2 Release Dates Confirmed U.S. Must wait until March!?

Posted by admin on Jan 21, 2009

PS2 Release Dates Confirmed

It’s the PS2 release dates for Tomb Raider: Underworld:

UK, Italy, BeNeLux – 23rd of January

Scandinavia – 26th of January

France, Germany, Spain – 30th of January

US – Early March (Yes if you can believe it)

Thanks for the information, Gia, I'll edit my title to reflect this.

That is rather insane though...why--if the game is in its final build--is it being released 3 months later on your PS2 consoles?

Is this some form of clever marketing scheme by Eidos to make the hype of the PS2 game increase so that it sells more in the USA?

MsC

I'm reading that the PS2 version looks worst than Legend or Anniversary. Most of the environments are cut out, it's very buggy, it doesn't make any sense (like at one point a checkpoint is triggered, she walks only a few more secs before another checkpoint is triggered, not doing anything but going from point a to B).

Read - http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all...ature%3Drelated

Can anyone confirm if the gamplay is the same? Croft Manor looks different. People are saying it's just like the Wii version...

Oh dear.

Personally I think people are expecting too much from this game.

CrystalD aren't directly developing it anyhow, so it's not like they can make it identical to Legend/Anniversary without delaying it another year. I'm sure they would if they were allowed to but Eidos saw a money market in the PS2 and asked a company to port CD's version ASAP and corners were cut.

At the end of the day, the best way to look at it is you were never going to be able to play it on PS2 at one point, and now at least you can, just wait for it to drop in price if it really is that terrible.

MsC

Yup I think people's expectations were set pretty high. They thought graphically they would be getting a game better than Anniversary.

No wonder Eidos has kept quiet about it. Are they even going be marketing it? :unsure:

Has to add my little twopenneth worth here:-

btw, Hi guys! haven't been around in a while - Happy New Year and all that and hope everyone is happy and well.

Ok, I bought TRU for myself the day it came out on PS2 - I've been playing at my usual slow, pathetic pace and am currently at a level with the big Shiva statue.

I'm not finding too many problems, like Ms Croft said, just glad of the opportunity to play the game at all. What is weird though, is there are no pickups apart from treasure - no medpacks etc. If Lara falls and loses some health, she just gets up, runs some and her health meter goes back up to full which makes it a bit easier for plebs like me but maybe too easy for hardcore gamers. Also, there is no walkthrough as such for PS2 anywhere to be found so I had a little trouble in the Kraken room trying to kill the beastie. I sort of glanced at the WII walkthrough as it's supposed to be similar. In one underwater level near the beginning, there were supposed to be sharks - well, I didn't encounter any and even if she got stung by a jellyfish, her health meter returned to normal again. There are lots of bugs so far, such as hands disappearing into ledges, camera angles not working, the usual stuff. Having said all that, I'm enjoying the game so far - it just seems as though the PS2 game has missed out on a lot of the little extra touches. Also, someone mentioned about a checkpoint, that was at the beginning of the level i'm currently on, I turned a corner, passed a checkpoint, ran a couple more steps and passed another checkpoint - hey, I'm not bothered - If i pass a checkpoint, I'm progressing so I'm happy. It's a far cry from the 'early' days when you became desperate for a save crystal (well, I did anyway) to avoid having to practically restart a level but a part of me misses those blocky movements (sidestep, standing jump, running jump etc.) - but heyho times move on!

I'm giving it a thumbs up for now - will post more progress soon (please bear in mind I play about 1hr each week atm).

:lol:

I'm just getting started. I'm at the beginning of Thailand. I have to say that on the PC version the scenery is beautiful. I'm so happy that Lara can stomp spiders now, instead of shooting them! :laugh2: