Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Lara Croft Reboots Without Angelina

AJ=TR

Lara Croft Reboots Without Angelina

Angelina Jolie, Laura Croft Tomb Raider

Gina Serpe, eonline

Wed Jan 28, 4:12 PM EST

Angelina Jolie's loss may just be Megan Fox's gain.

Warner Bros. has confirmed plans to relaunch—and completely overhaul—the hot pants-wearing, artifact-collecting Lara Croft: Tomb Raider franchise, with the first major casualty being Jolie.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the third film will completely reboot the video game-based character, including changing her origin story (most likely shying away from her English aristocracy roots) and introduce new kinds of missions, love interests and villains.

And, most notably, a new leading lady.

While producers say an actress likely won't be cast until a writer and director have signed on, Fox has emerged as the frontrunner replacement, at least as far as the blogosphere is concerned.

While Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and its inconsistently punctuated sequel Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life were produced by Paramount, the rights to the series have since reverted back to video game purveyor Eidos. In December, Time Warner increased its stake in the multimedia company, ensuring in-house studio Warner Bros. first dibs to what has been a lucrative, abeit critically panned, franchise.

The first installment, released in 2001, grossed $275 million worldwide, while the 2003 sequel earned $157 million. All told, the video game series, which launched in 1996, has accounted for more than $1 billion.

null

© 2009 E! Entertainment Television, Inc. All rights reserved., http://comcast.eonline.com/about/copyright/index.jsp

I had a feeling this was coming. The new movie has been put off for so long. I wondered if Angelina would just shrug it off. It does make me sad though. But I look forward to the new Lara.

• 1 month later...

Megan Fox has said she won't be doing it, so it's very likely it will not be her, though I'm not surprised Angelina Jolie isn't reprising her role.

It'd be nice to make a film of Lara in her very early years raiding tombs and perhaps being quite a rooky when exploring them and making mistakes she wouldn't usually make.

I'll give whoever plays the role the benefit of the doubt until the film is released and I've watched it. A lot of people were unsure of AJ playing Lara, but she's won many fans over.

MsC

"It'd be nice to make a film of Lara in her very early years raiding tombs and perhaps being quite a rooky when exploring them and making mistakes she wouldn't usually make".

Yeah, that would be good. Maybe, see a little bit of her being taught by her Dad, or something like that aswell.