Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Tomb Raider 8

Allegra

hey guys just wondering if anyone has any news?? :)
This is the only thing I have heard which was right before the pc demo came out. Remember that live chat with Matt Guzenda? He said that there would be another game. :) Sorry that is all I heard.

i would like to see news very soon...TODAY!!!! lol...cuz TR ROCKS!!! lol

but unfortunetly none yet...

lets hope eidos and cd plan on doing TR 1 and 2 remake or at least tell us what the plans are sometime

lol, haf u noticed tht CORE DESIGN & CRYSTAL DYNAMICS haf the same begining letters! rofl. ;D

on topic: i will scream wen TR8 comes out, i cant wait to see wat they make it about. ;)

LOL, yeah, they pulling some scam you think? maybe they are the same company, they do all the time, changing spots, check out the credits in tha games, now are half the programmers and graphics ppl have the same name in different TR games......?
Sounds like a party. Hey i really want this game... :(

nope havent heard anything yet but i hope they say something really soon cause i cant wait
we shouldnt worry, as succesful as lara is ofcoarse they will haf a TR8. ;)

Doesn't it take about two years to develope a game? That means 2008.... :-/
They've probably been already working on it, dontcha think??

I sure hope so. :-/
I haven't heard anything either about another TR, but it's most likely that their will be another one. ;)

I haven't heard anything either about another TR, but it's most likely that their will be another one. ;)

I pray for another tomb raider game ;D ;D :D

As for the person who said it would probably take 2 years..that isn't neccesarily true. Considering that they've already got an Engine, Physics and Level builder (This is all for next-gen too) I don't think it will take neccesarily that long. After they finish the game also, they have to decide when they want to release it, so that they don't mix with a huge game e.g Metal Gear Solid 4 as that can affect sales.

To sum up lol, I predict that Tomb Raider 8 will probably be released about a year away from the release of PS3. So, about December 07/ Jan 08. By all we know, they could've started Tomb Raider 8, and are using the current-gen 10th Anniversary Edition to mask it.

MsC

Edited by Ms.Croft

how about fall 2007 at the latest?

:)

That's what I said lol...then according to you Mr J7Wild, we should be starting to see some Pictures of it around March/April time then? Or maybe a month before, looking at the 10th Anniversary Edition lol.

MsC

• 3 weeks later...

^_^ On page 192 of the Piggyback Interactive Legend Guide there is a little section titled "the Long Wait Begins..." In which Morgan Gray of Crystal Dynamics tantilizingly answers:

Q: Can we safely assume that another episode (TR8) is already being planned ?

A: " I would think there's a certain amount of safety to assume"

Q: Any clues as to what players can expect ?

A: " The hint that I would give is that we (CD) would never do a cliffhanger ending if we didn't intend to resolve it...."

;)

yeah... ive heard that TR 8 will be out next year, and i truelly hope so :P

most of the times they bring the TR games around November (at least those where the dates of TR 1 2 3 4 and 5)

but just like Ms.Croft said i doesnt have to take longer than a year, i do think that TR 8 will be related to TR 7 , cause why would the game end in the middle of a story?

Edited by DARK PHOENIX

• 1 month later...
why not like this:

Xbox, Xbox 360, pc, psp, ps2,ps3.

i hope its somthing like this :S

I doubt it. They'll most likely make it for the newest systems at the time. PS3 is comming out with the whole blue card thing too, so it won't be backwards compatible. Luckily I'm saving up for a PS3:D

The PS3 will use Blu-Ray technology, but it will also be able to read CDs and DVDs, so it will be mostly backward compatible. It wouldn't be very bright of Sony to make it so that the PS3 only reads Blu-Ray discs.

I agree, but I can't wait till it comes out :P

Making a direct sequel to Tomb Raider 7 is IMO an inconceivable mistake.

On forums like this there are many, many complaints from people regarding the instability of the interface and the engine. Straight up releasing a sequel on the exact same engine will merely result in lower scores on the game reviewers. There was nothing wrong with the previous storyline, just the engine it was released on. I can't think of anyone who was completely satisfied with the gaming engine (if there is anyone, please say your name, and what were the best parts of it). I sincerely hope that EIDOS has not looked at the results of their first game, and thought "That's pretty good, let's make a duplicate of it, same length, same engine, same everything, but a follow-up to the story."

I prepared a rant:

Why should you be reading this? Because I feel that my opinion represents a relatively large fanbase of the Tomb Raider series, myself included. First of all, I love Tomb Raider. Nay - I am OBSESSED with Tomb Raider. Every few years when a new installment to Tomb Raider is proposed, all of my eyes and ears are on focus. Since I had played Half-Life 2 and The Sims 2, I had always dreamt of Tomb Raider in a fully-immersive 3D environment, engulfing the player in a world of high realism and endless freedom. This included the ability to import custom content to modify and retouch the game to the desire of the player. So, when I heard of the naissance of Tomb Raider: Legend, and got a glimpse at some of the first few screenshots, I had believed that my dream had finally come true. Temporary euphoria and anticipation buildup followed as I watched the screenshots progress right up until its release.

Crystal Dynamics went ESRB on us.

C.D. and Eidos press release agents stated clearly that the companies planned to make Tomb Raider: Legend as realistic and immersive as possible. For 10 GB, the price is right, correct? Wrong. Eidos and other major companies suffer from a disease that I call Teen Rating Syndrome. To avoid gaining controversy, Eidos takes the intuitive path of nonviolence in an otherwise violent world. Lara shoots down almost inhuman mercenaries who fall to the ground bloodless, and vanish from the world. Very realistic. Then - and this may seem controversial and debatable to some - they have the nerve to take away one major component of the game: watching Lara die a bloody death! I can't think of a better way to put this, but there is nothing more fun than watching a botched up attempt at a puzzle or a gunfight (or perhaps intentional) and seeing the result. Rather than do that, Eidos trembles with fear and uncertainty then finally decides, "Okay, we don't want to offend Jack Thompson and Hillary Clinton, so we'll censor the scenes where Lara dies." What bugs me more is that there are people who are completely content with that, and if the game happens to breach the Teen-rating limit in any way, they go hysterical. (Many of these people use 23 smilies per post, so I'm not necessarily surprised.)

The irony is that when you finally beat the game, you are treated to Lara Croft in a particularly revealing swimsuit. :blink: (If only for the training level.) WHOOPS!?

"Realism? OH, we meant realism in terms of a realistic-looking world. You know, trees and birds and OpenGL. If you meant graphic and logical realism, I'm afraid you're outta luck," says Eidos. Even with the "realism", Eidos certainly cannot meet up to the graphical standards of Half-Life 2, which was released more than a year earlier. They should retrace, reflect, and look upon the successes of the previous games. Many M-rated games tend to have better graphics and content than the T-rated games, since the programmers and designers realize that they are not limited by a low ceiling. TR should be M-rated anyway for obvious reasons.

And if you do not know these reasons, here they are:

1. Blood and gore (at least from TR1 to TR6)

2. Violence

3. Suggestive themes (check out some of the concept arts as well)

Does this involve a complete rehash of the Tomb Raider series, and therefore, a rehash of the fanbase? Most likely. However, in my opinion, it's for the good of the series. Not yet have I found a game with the concept of Tomb Raider, graphics of Half Life 2, nonlinear-ness of GTA:SA, customizability of Sims 2, and enough levels to keep you going for 2 or more weeks. This would be something that would make me play Tomb Raider and give 10/10 praise. Unfortunately not everyone on this forum thinks so, there is a massive diversity between Tomb Raider fans. The fact that Eidos is turning to building interactive DVDs for Everyone seems to show a low point for the series. "But it's a sequel to AOD!" It's been proven that it's AOD in condensed form. "Kurtis Kurtis Kurtis!" I know, but it's not a new game. If they're planning to make more of the iDVDs, I've lost my faith in the series. If I had C or C++ or worked at a game designing company, I'd be making my own Tomb Raider games, and I'm pretty sure I'd do a relatively better job than what's going on right now.

Yes, I will give credit to Eidos for trying, but they didn't try hard ENOUGH. The water puzzles in TR Legend were so easy that an air bar was not even necessary (even though Lara's lungs somehow shrank from TR6 to TR7) And as a side note, you can't build up some skills and abilities and take away others. Okay, pole swinging is great and all, but what happened to sprinting?. Combat and AI was trivial. Levels were linear and got repetitive. When they make a TR8, IF they make a TR7, they need to read this and Stella's review and think: What did they do wrong and how can they fix it? Stop promising us these gimmicks and give us quality work. Look at Valve. Look at iD Software. They may be controversial, but without a doubt, their games are the best in the market to date (some of the few that were able to maintain a 10/10 rating).

That's just my opinion. Yours all undoubtedly differ because I'm a freakish HL2 cynic and you're all happy-go-lucky.

I'm usualy quite cynical but I quite enjoyed TR:L and don't agree with all of what you say (although the points about it being too short and easy were very valid).

I disagree with the ESRB bit.. yes they removed blood which is a shame.. but then it also featured the most gruesome deaths of any TR game so far, whenever you mess up a cut sequence.

I haven't found any instability in the engine or GUI.. but It shouldn't be too hard to fix any bugs you found as it they go along developing TR8. It's certainly less buggy than all the other TR games!

And as for the abilities and weapons.. in another post you mentioned that you felt unhappy with the lack of weapons compared to TR3.. I felt TR3 had far far far too many, and found this Far-Cry style system much more logical. I also don't mind if they remove some of her abilities.. because if they just keep adding to them every game we have a ridiculous amount of controls to learn.

So.. I agree with some of your points but am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the game more :)

• 3 weeks later...
The PS3 will use Blu-Ray technology, but it will also be able to read CDs and DVDs, so it will be mostly backward compatible. It wouldn't be very bright of Sony to make it so that the PS3 only reads Blu-Ray discs.

I thought I heard somewhere that the PS 3 wasn't going to be backward compatible or at least not completly.

Edited by Dark_One