Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum
Allegra

Tomb Raider 8

According to this article at GameSpot the PS3 will be compatible with PS1 and PS2 games, but that they are having problems with games that don't follow the TRC (Technical Requirement Check) guidelines provided by SCE, so there will be games that won't be compatible.

Aside from the new announcements, Kutaragi took some extra time to stress that SCE is serious about backward compatibility for the PS3. For those thinking the PS3's backward compatibility will work like that of Microsoft's Xbox 360, he emphasized that "the PS3 will feature backwards compatibility with PS and PS2 games from day one."

"I'm emphasizing this because, from what I hear, there are some platforms that haven't been able to completely do this," he said. "It's costly in terms of hardware, but we'd rather [invest] firmly on compatibility from the beginning, rather than to have issues later on."

That said, Kutaragi also commented that SCE is having trouble in some games that don't follow the TRC (Technical Requirement Check) guidelines provided by SCE. He said that backward compatibility isn't always possible when games use the hardware in unexpected ways, saying, "Either it's accidental or on purpose; there's actually a lot of games that don't follow the TRC." Kutaragi used today's conference to ask publishers to follow the TRC guidelines when developing games so that backward compatibility will not be an issue with future PlayStations.

I'm usualy quite cynical but I quite enjoyed TR:L and don't agree with all of what you say (although the points about it being too short and easy were very valid).

I must agree i thought Legend was one of the best games out there... I have beat it so many times and still find it entertaining

TR Legend was a good step forward, but not a perfect one, or even near that. Now the game was released so long ago, we can think of it's flaws in a less "omg its out lets play omggg!!" way.

It didnt bother me that it didnt have a lot of different guns, basically because the game doesnt allow you to explore them very much. The enemies are kinda stupid and even the pistols do the job fairly good with you kick them or jump in them.

And DO NOT make a EXPLORATION game so linear and straight foward! What is up with that! If you hide secrets, people wont bother exploring a whole level to look for something that can possibly open a new outfitt for you wear if you want to play the game again on levels that you alread beat. Make they look for something that will actually add something to the plot and history, something that wont let you move forward!

All the puzzles are a huge disappointment. Come on, I guess they were so excited to make this new way to phisically interect with the enviroment that they completly forgot about those HUUUUUGE pieces of old engines that you would stare at and have to find elements to make it work, and then solve it to actually make it work. Even AOD had puzzles like this, and this game is so bashed.

I agree with missing blood and violence too. Would it be AWESOME if you have to solve one of those huge puzzles very very carefully otherwise a violent scene would just destroy Lara? Ancient puzzles are not supposed to be easy or nice, they are supposed to be hard and destroy anyone who attemp to unconver its secrets.

I guess, I never ran into one anyway.

Edited by • LegendRaider

well i dont really care for any of those things that you pointed out. I found the puzzles different and in a positive way. And the blood was no real loss to me IMO. And about your comment on the EXPLORATION, I do NOT believe it was a huge loss for THIS game. TRL was just to get the ball rolling again IMO. Plus the outfit collection was a kick a** idea... So much fun... ;)

If you don't care for blood or exploration, and like to see a lot of outfitts to try, you should play The Sims :P JK. I see your point, I enjoyed the game. It just could be AMAZING and it was just a step forward when many consider the other ones to be one step backwards after other. The beauty in Tomb Raider was variation and exploration that would drive you insane with puzzles.

And that is what Legend fails to deliver. All the levels have the EXACT same structure and after you get how to make things work, everything you will be doing is tha same thing till it ends. And that's a shame. They created this physics puzzles for a level and must be so proud of it that they decided to put it on the same shape and form on every level.

I do believe that Eidos and CD will put it on a variety of things like TRL... Since TRL went on almost every system they got a whole bunch of different audiences where as when it was only on playstation and PC they only had the people with PS and PC... Also i think they know they can not afford to only go on a specific console after the previous games... But thats my opinion. ;)

I have some news about the release date of tomb raider 8.

As it looks right now the game comes out on 1 juli 2008 - 30 juni 2009.

This is a bit far ahead but it is somthing.

Also for now its only confirmd for the playstation 3 but perhaps they could ad more platforms to it.

I have some news about the release date of tomb raider 8.

As it looks right now the game comes out on 1 juli 2008 - 30 juni 2009.

This is a bit far ahead but it is somthing.

Also for now its only confirmd for the playstation 3 but perhaps they could ad more platforms to it.

Have you got a source as to where you got that information from?

MsC

Edited by Ms.Croft

I read in a gaming magazine that Sony will stop making PS2 games after February. So if the next TR(not the Anniversary edition) isn't due until next year, its going to be on PS3....

I read in a gaming magazine that Sony will stop making PS2 games after February. So if the next TR(not the Anniversary edition) isn't due until next year, its going to be on PS3....

Do you mean Sony are stopping the rights on making PS2 games for all companies, or that Sony are going to stop making PS2 games, because they may allow Eidos, Square etc make games for PS2 still?

MsC

oh i hope it comes out on the PS2 or xbox... There is no way i am buying a ps3 for the amount they want, let alone try and find one... They are always out of stalk

Well, just look at the original PS games, they stopped making those after the PS2 had been out for two or three years, But if they stop this early, then there won't be that many PS3 games yet. Which I heard they only have about 25 PS3 games out right now.

I hope they stick with the same look and personality of Lara as in TRL

same here...i feel the same...i loved legend lara

They can keep the look of the Legend Lara, but they Should bring back the braid. And this time make it as long as the Chronicles or Revelation braid.

^Yes,that is a good idea! :D