Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Chronicles Help!

Bondy

I don't know go away for a couple of years and some upstart steals the BondBabe name...... unless it’s really me and I’ve just forgotten my login details :blink: Hmmmmm. Anyway, I am a seasoned raider and never really had any technical difficulties with the game, however I now have a new laptop that runs on Vista (and please no advice that I should get rid of Vista!!) so here’s the problem..... I have played this game on my old laptop with the sidewinder without problems. I have loaded chronicles onto the Vista laptop (and changed to compatibility mode) but when the game starts all Lara and the inventory do is spin in circles. I know that sidewinder is not compatible with one of the sound card and I have already checked and I do not have that on my laptop (I have VIA High Definition). I then shut down and reloaded again with the sidewinder and the same thing happened. I then tried it without the sidewinder and at first this appeared to work, however occasionally when I open it (again without sidewinder) she just went round in circles again. I searched the web and all the explanations I could find involved incompatible joysticks and sound cards. I have since uninstalled and re-installed and tried the game without the introduction of sidewinder on the computer and the same problems still occasionally occur. Is there an explanation or more importantly a fix? or should I just put it down to another Vista gremlin in the works? What I really want is to be able to play with a game pad rather than keyboard controls. Any suggestions out there?

I may not be much of a computer whiz, but if your using a game controller that isn't compatible with Vista then maybe you should find one that is. Just about any package now for such accessories will have on it what version of windows it is certified for. That's my two cents on this.

Ok people I am liking these suggestions. The down side is that they have not worked. I have just completed Last Revelation on this computer with the sidewinder, so I know that defiantly works here, I also have the up to date drivers. At this stage it would appear just to be a problem with Chronicles. The rest of you out there on the World Wide Web get those fingers tapping I need more, more, more!

:woho: Bondy :woho:

Got this from Stella... don't know if it will help or not....

"Running Tomb Raider Chronicles with Windows 7, Vista or XP

Chronicles was designed to run under Windows 98. So your game may need a little tweaking to run smoothly on a computer running Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP. Before patching, try this simple fix:

1. After installing the game, locate the PCTomb5.exe file. (Use the Search function in the Windows Start Menu if you have trouble.)

2. Right-click on the PCTomb5.exe icon and choose 'Properties' from the drop-down menu.

3. Click the 'Compatibility' tab.

4. Check the box next to 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and choose 'Windows 98/Windows Me' from the list.

5. Click the 'OK' button.

6. Run the game as usual.

If that doesn't work, you may also need to download and install one of the unofficial Windows 7/Vista/XP patches, which are part of tombraiderchronicles.com's excellent Windows 7, Vista and XP Tomb Raider Solution.

If the demos or expansion level downloads won't install, you may need to set the compatibility mode on the downloaded demo files as described in the paragraph above before installing, as well as on the game program files once they are installed.

· · ·

If you receive an error message saying "DirectX setup failure" or the installation program appears to start but then hangs and will not install, it may help to restart your computer in Safe Mode (tap F8 during startup). Then install the game while in Safe Mode and restart the system normally. You can then try adjusting the compatibility settings, as described above, or install any patches."

http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/TR5files.html

Yup, have been running all the games in compatability mode, this worked well for Last Revelation and appears to work most of the time for chronicles, the game starts up, it is just this spinning problem (all the time with the sidewinder, and occasionally when the sidewinder is disconected). I have now tried one of the patches and that has made things no better and on occasions worse. With the patch the game take a long time to load and every so often the game will just spontaniusly shut down or a 'this programme has stopped working' messege will appear. I know it, I'm doomed. :(

Bondy