Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Tomb Raider 2 Group Play

Stellalune

I suppose. My computer supports the TR Gold levels just perfectly, I'd say even better than the PlayStation. But I don't have the PC version, only PlayStation. :( It's a good thing my copy of TR3 still works!

Well you can download Tomb Raider 2 from some other site if you want to:)

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's quite a common problem. If you're on XP, right-click on the shortcut you use to launch the game (either on the desktop or on the start menu), select "properties" and go to the "compatibility" tab. Then tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows 98/Windows ME" and click OK. In most cases this fixes the crashing problem (it did for me when I had exactly the same issue).

Windows 7 has the same option, and I'd imagine that Vista does too, though I've not tried running the game under either of them.

Hey Shrensh, thanx a million! It solved the problem just like you said :-)

Now for some tomb raiding!

One more finish for me Diving Area.......

Harder than previous level and full of enemy's.

My results:

th.48fdbb3473.jpg

Now I will wait for awhile because I am too far in the game,I will wait until someone is in level 40 Fathoms where I am now.Again I wish luck to all of you guys :rolleyes:

I finally popped the dusty old game into my PS2 and got to work.

1: I forgot the controls and kept falling off things. I keep having to remind myself that the analog sticks are useless <_<

2: I can't see where I'm going because the graphics are so...graphical.

3: after messing around croft manor and locking winston in the fridge (poor chap) I danced around to the radio and continued on to the great wall.

4: after thinking I finally got the hang of things, I forgot to save..the entire level. then I met a random spike pit. :o "...hello, old friends."

5: after 5 tries at the danged thing, I got to the balls that also try to kill you...but I remembered to save!!! HALLELUJAH!!! and that's how far I am.. :wacko:

also, I'm a FAST raider. I dont get all-kills or secrets..I just run right through :D

I've finished Bartoli's Hideout now. I missed one secret because I can't for the life of me remember where it is, and I'm far too lazy to go back and look for it. I'm on 73 saves now.

Tomb22010-07-1718-01-41-39.jpg

Floating dead bad guys are always good for a laugh

Tomb22010-07-1716-51-22-01.jpg

Next it's the Opera House. This level gave me quite a bit of trouble the first time I played, so I hope I remember how to do it ok. So far I've remembered everything fairly well, and haven't gotten very badly stuck anywhere.

I've finished Bartoli's Hideout now. I missed one secret because I can't for the life of me remember where it is, and I'm far too lazy to go back and look for it. I'm on 73 saves now.

Tomb22010-07-1718-01-41-39.jpg

Floating dead bad guys are always good for a laugh

Tomb22010-07-1716-51-22-01.jpg

Next it's the Opera House. This level gave me quite a bit of trouble the first time I played, so I hope I remember how to do it ok. So far I've remembered everything fairly well, and haven't gotten very badly stuck anywhere.

Great job,you see your last sceenshot down here,here is secret you missed:)

There is switch in room here and once you pull it door opens in this hall....But you are good,keep going like this :D

And yes Opera House is really hard level,first boss is in there.Big bad guy with two big pistols :angry:

Finally I finish level Wreck of Moria Doria and I used my first medpack in the game,but just small one :unsure:

Now first for Stella,thank you very much for your help I made this:

106ae2d89e.jpg

Well level was harder than any before :o

Here are my results:

dd493fa1be.jpg

And I forgot to tell,there are some places in Wreck of Moria Doria level where you really need to use medpack,because there are some nasty places where Lara must fall down and she loses most of her energy....but thanks to Stella I made this place on the picture..her tip was very helpful :D

Great job,you see your last sceenshot down here,here is secret you missed:)

There is switch in room here and once you pull it door opens in this hall....But you are good,keep going like this :D

Ah, thanks. I was wondering where it was. I'm trying to do the game from memory and not look at any walkthroughs, but I'm going to miss a few secrets.

And yes Opera House is really hard level,first boss is in there.Big bad guy with two big pistols :angry:

Oh yes, I remember him :blink: Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to save up some of my powerful ammo for him.

oops I need a stella-through again..driving the boat through venice always trips me up <_< I remember last time I saved in a REALLY bad spot..I had a millimeter of health and a guy was shooting at me! ...I've never gotten past venice. -_-

What I've learned replaying TR2:

1. I've been spoiled by my PS3 and newer games: I forgot TR2 had no auto save points. Yikes! I had to start all over. Plus, I can't remember how to properly shut off my PS2---except to first remove the memory card (MEMORY CARD?!?).

2. Going back to d-pad for movement was a challenge: I've adjusted better than I thought to the joysticks. My left thumb is sore!

3. All my fancy moves are coming back: It's like zen, one moment I'm confused; then I relax, my fingers move on their own and Laura is making quick trips down ladders and backflipping while shooting! WOOHOO!

4. I've missed the TRAPS: The Great Wall section has a number of traps one right after the other where you have to time it just right to get a secret. You all know the one I mean. The newer TR just don't have as many traps.

5. The music....ah, the music......

6. The annoying "No" when you try to open a lock she doesn't have the key for.......Irksome. It has not been missed.

7. I remember when the sight of her braid floating in the breeze got me all excited about the progress in game programming and design. Still, I contend that the rich colors of Chinese tapestry we see early and late in the game remain beautiful.

8. POLYGONS!

9. Husband asking yet again: "What are the dinosaurs and tigers EATING down there? How do they live?"

THIS IS FUN!

What I've learned replaying TR2:

1. I've been spoiled by my PS3 and newer games: I forgot TR2 had no auto save points. Yikes! I had to start all over. Plus, I can't remember how to properly shut off my PS2---except to first remove the memory card (MEMORY CARD?!?).

2. Going back to d-pad for movement was a challenge: I've adjusted better than I thought to the joysticks. My left thumb is sore!

3. All my fancy moves are coming back: It's like zen, one moment I'm confused; then I relax, my fingers move on their own and Laura is making quick trips down ladders and backflipping while shooting! WOOHOO!

4. I've missed the TRAPS: The Great Wall section has a number of traps one right after the other where you have to time it just right to get a secret. You all know the one I mean. The newer TR just don't have as many traps.

5. The music....ah, the music......

6. The annoying "No" when you try to open a lock she doesn't have the key for.......Irksome. It has not been missed.

7. I remember when the sight of her braid floating in the breeze got me all excited about the progress in game programming and design. Still, I contend that the rich colors of Chinese tapestry we see early and late in the game remain beautiful.

8. POLYGONS!

9. Husband asking yet again: "What are the dinosaurs and tigers EATING down there? How do they live?"

THIS IS FUN!

EXACTLY!!! THE POLYGONS!!! the "no" ..very annoying but also hilarious in a vexing way, :lol: the graphics are amazing..I feel old when I play earlier TR games compared to underworld and legend..

Here's my play log for today:

4:46 Booted up

4:50 Loaded my game. When I saved last night I saved with her jumping so that she'd land from being in the air when it loads. =D

4:53 I love how High Lara could jump in the old ones also how flat the ladders were. And gotta love this old trick.

4:58 What a realistic looking skeleton. http://twitpic.com/268jpr

4:59 Lara has such perfect form when pulling blocks out.

5:00 Jumped right into the dart pool without looking, like an idiot. I didn't die though.

5:09 Walked right on crumble floor, waited, then died on spikes. Have no idea what I was thinking.

5:10 Made it past crumble floor then got killed by boulder. I'm kinda sucking today.

5:13 I'm through after dying 6 times. :[

5:16 Man there's a lot of booby traps one after another! I didn't get the green secret but there's ain't no way in hell I'm going back for it.

5:20 She always lands in the same position when she dies in these old ones. I like how there's different positions in the new ones. Is that morbid?

5:24 Can you file a restraining order against spiders?

5:25 And tigers?

5:31 Just finished The Great Wall. Stats: http://twitpic.com/268tzf They should have number of times you died on there. Mine would be like 18,000 Haha ;)

5:35 Finally I get to kill people! Yeah!!

5:37 The guy on the balcony kinda looks like the Joker.

5:40 Love how the music just randomly starts at a certain point.

5:49 I just couldn't resist!!!

5:58 Saved and stopped.

So I got to the boat. That's it though. Back tomorrow.

I'm going to have to hurry up and get home and start playing! I didn't know we already started! XD

That's okay, I'm in the same predicament. I started this morning and discovered the game was poorly taken care of my my younger siblings. (WHY DID THEY HAVE IT!?!?!?) So now, when I am lucky enough to get it started, it freezes at some points so I'm playing through the game VERY slowly. HAHA! I did manage to save at the end of the first level and beat the tutorial level at Lara's Mansion. I never found all the secrets in the tomb raider games...so when everyone was talking about the t-rex's, I wondered what the heck they were talking about. Now I realize there's a LOST VALLEY inside the Great Wall! Haha! Well, once I get a chance to get back on, I'll take a longer period to play it and further myself.

Lara's "no" ticked me off when I was playing TR5, and I was trying to sneak up on soldiers to chloroform them. I thought she was in the perfect spot to do it, and she always disagreed with me.

I'm going to have to remember to keep active with these old games. I am so proud of myself. I am doing much better controlling Lara with the D-pad...and I don't want to lose my skill. Now the question is, am I good enough to get past the Venice level--which I couldn't get past before? Part of the problem was that I got lost in that level. I think I'll make a map. I also had a hard time maneuvering the boat in those tiny canals.

Today, I redid the Great Wall. I got all the secrets and the extra goodies. I rather wished I had tried for the pistols since I do seem to be faster. I have also learned that the jump and roll (where you push look+Jump+forward) is very neat and useful in some situations...but when it comes to speed, regular jumping is just better (I got killed several times in the area with the three blades. Today, I had problems with the rolling wheel blades for some reason, but I did better with everything else. Mrs. T-rex was harder to kill today, but I still keep hearing her roar after she is dead.

I am still proud of myself. I am doing much better. I'm completing levels in this game and in TR1 without dying as much and using as many health packs as the first time I played them. Even if I can't finish them, it gives me hope that maybe someday I can improve even more--and one day I will complete them to the end.

The old games are more challenging than the new games--particularly since you have to control Lara with the D-pad on PS2. I do wish we could configure the controls back to the joystick. Yet, I like the "story" feel of the new games.

That's okay, I'm in the same predicament. I started this morning and discovered the game was poorly taken care of my my younger siblings. (WHY DID THEY HAVE IT!?!?!?) So now, when I am lucky enough to get it started, it freezes at some points so I'm playing through the game VERY slowly. HAHA! I did manage to save at the end of the first level and beat the tutorial level at Lara's Mansion. I never found all the secrets in the tomb raider games...so when everyone was talking about the t-rex's, I wondered what the heck they were talking about. Now I realize there's a LOST VALLEY inside the Great Wall! Haha! Well, once I get a chance to get back on, I'll take a longer period to play it and further myself.

That sucks majorly. xD I'm just not getting started on the Great Wall level. There is a lost valley inside the great wall?!?! What?!

I've almost got the hang of things again, but I still keep accidentally stepping off ledges. Without auto-grab, that's a problem. ;)

Played around in Croft Manor for a while and finished the first level. Nothing too exciting to report, but one player's suggestion came in handy: When running the gauntlet of traps inside the Great Wall, once you make it to the last set of spiked walls, just beyond the Jade Dragon secret, if you stay near the right wall the spikes can't reach Lara. Then you can take a breather and save before moving through the final phase. Unfortunately you can't get back to the secret if you missed it, since the spikes above it are too close together. You guys probably already knew that, but somehow it escaped me.

greatwall_sm.jpg

Is it my imagination, or does it take way too many bullets to kill those damn spiders? .... I can save any time I want! No more save crystals! …. After dispatching Mrs. T-rex, I still continued to hear her roar--even though her carcass was right in front of me. Was this a bug or an echo? Has it happened to anyone else?

Indeed! I have to admit Underworld at least got that part right. Stepping on a spider--a normal sized one anyway--should be is enough. ;) But yet Crystal Dynamics has regressed to checkpoints. Checkpoints! In the 21st century! Feh!

And, yes, Mama T.'s roar kept on playing in my game too, long after she was dead. Weirdness.

I started this morning and discovered the game was poorly taken care of my my younger siblings. (WHY DID THEY HAVE IT!?!?!?) So now, when I am lucky enough to get it started, it freezes at some points so I'm playing through the game VERY slowly.

Do you have one of those CD cleaner/buffer things? If not, maybe your local game store or video store has one and will buff your disk for cheap or free. That'll at least get the surface scratches out, which might make a difference. I sure hope you can keep playing.

@Shrensh: I love your screenshots! You made a bunch of great ones last time too, as I recall.

@Rosinna: The diary format is great, but damn if I don't crave fried chicken now. :P

@Eldin: Wow! You're just cranking along. Good job! I know you're trying not to use any health. So I have a tip for the Wreck of the Maria Doria when you get there. Maybe you already know this, but if not, here's a screenshot sent to me by another player about how to take minimal damage in that first long drop.

MariaDoria.jpg

@Caity & Mute2Conversations: Here's your Venice map. Unfortunately it's in Dutch (sent to me by another player) but hopefully it'll help. Most is pretty obvious but you can also use Google translate for the labels.

Venetie_sm.jpg

@Caity & Kaylee: It is a little weird getting used to the retro-ness again. I don't mind Lara's “No!” so much, but the constipated toddler sound she makes when moving blocks and climbing ladders is a little disturbing. :lol:

@Amber: No hurry. None of us will ever catch up with Eldin, and nobody will be as slow as me. So just jump in any time and you should be fine. :D

Finally, is the problem with uploading images resolved? Photobucket/Picasa might be another option. I would also be happy to host images on tombraiders.net, but people would need to use FTP to upload them.

@Shrensh: I love your screenshots! You made a bunch of great ones last time too, as I recall.

Thanks! :) I love taking screenshots :lol:

Finally, is the problem with uploading images resolved? Photobucket/Picasa might be another option. I would also be happy to host images on tombraiders.net, but people would need to use FTP to upload them.

Yeah, the uploading problem appears to be fixed now, so everyone can add images to their posts as attachments, like I've done below. Thanks for your offer though :)

I've finished with the Opera House! And it is now 2:50am. LOL, I haven't stayed up this late playing Tomb Raider for ages :lol: I missed one of the secrets again, but I didn't have too much difficulty, apart from the usual problem of running off a high ledge when I haven't saved for ages :rolleyes:

My stats:

post-7-127941822999_thumb.jpg

It's pretty high up here... Urge to jump off rising...

post-7-127941779129_thumb.jpg

Poor Lara :(

post-7-127941780221_thumb.jpg

I really hate these sacks. I got squashed by them a few times.

post-7-127941780884_thumb.jpg

A pretty night time view of Venice before jetting off to the Offshore Rig

post-7-127941781369_thumb.jpg

I'm on 128 saves now.

Oh thank you very much Stella,I didn't know about this.I will try it and let you know if its working in pc version too.....but Wreck of Moria Doria is very hard level for me and maybe I won't be able to pass this one without using any medpack but I will try.Thank you again!

I think we have fixed the uploading issue, but please post back if something isn't working for you.

Still the same problem when trying to upload a photo in my profile:

The upload failed. Please notify an administrator.

And this is what happens when I click My settings:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at www.laracroftonline.net Port 80

Uploading an avatar did'nt work either before, but it does now.

As you can see :-)

Edited by Edmoor

I DID IT! (Forgive the all-caps...I'm screaming for joy, not being aggressive). I finished the Venice level, which stumped me last time!

Actually, I'm going between euphoria and wanting to give myself a good kick in the butt. I must have been stressed out the last time I played the level, because apparently I wasn't understanding the walkthrough when I was reading it. My reading comprehension can go to zero when I am stressed out. I can't believe it was the walkthrough--since it was Stella's. I didn't realize we were supposed to smash the gondolas. I didn't realize we were supposed to set off the mines. I didn't notice that ramp that went over the gated area. Those were key points! How could I miss those? That is like going through medical school to become a brain surgeon, and somehow never learning that the brain is in the head!

Obviously, my brain wasn't in my head the first time I played this game...or it was on a coffee break. I also didn't know about the area with the T-rexes in The Great Wall, and when everybody was talking about it...I was like, "We are playing TR2, right?"

Thanks for the map, Stella. I had printed your walkthrough yesterday. I think you've already revised the map from the one I remember, didn't you? I remembered a small map--and this one was big with lots of detail. Of course, if this is the old one...well, obviously I had been high on stupid pills the first time playing this. I still sometimes got turned around, but it wasn't so bad this time. Of course, I couldn't fight the bad guys without using a medipack--even the guys with baseball bats. And driving over that ramp over the gate--now that was totally cool! I did the timed boat thing without cheating--and I'm glad! That was the highlight of the game!

So now I am going to print Stella's walkthrough for Bartoli's Hideout. I've never played that! It is like playing a new game! This is so exciting!

And I guess it is good to every so often go back to Stella's walkthroughs and see if there are any revisions. You might wind up with a better copy.

lol, I know the feeling of missing stuff. I distinctly remember being badly stuck in TR2 the first time I played, and giving up out of despair and going to look at the walkthrough, only to find that I'd missed a very obvious switch on the wall :rolleyes: I must say that the flying boat thing is one of my favourite bits of the game too :lol:

Done with the Offshore Rig now, and found all the secrets this time. I got stuck at one point, but found that I'd missed an obvious switch on the wall. Again. lol.

post-7-127946727113_thumb.jpg

This propeller that kills Lara without touching her amuses me. I'm not really supposed to be up on top of the aeroplane without having switched the propeller off, but it's so easy to get there I can't resist messing around with it.

Oh I really hate these diver guys <_< Mostly because I have to use the spear-gun to fight them and I hate using the spear-gun. I prefer trying to lure them up to the surface so I can climb out of the water and blast them with my pistols :lol:

post-7-127946727941_thumb.jpg

On to the Diving Area next!