Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum
Morph

Tomb Raider World Exclusive Reveal

Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics are set to release a world exclusive reveal trailer for the next installment of Tomb Raider. The trailer will be shown in full CGI and is set for it's online reveal on Friday, June 3rd.

Here it is, the worlds first look at the new Tomb Raider. Keep in mind that this is all CGI, not official in-game footage.

The only thing I can criticise at the moment was Lara's voice - I'm hoping that as more is shown there'll be an improvement. I know she's supposed to be younger, but it seemed a bit off, or is it just me? lol.

Edited by Morph

Looks good :lol: I didn't mind the voice actress. I'm wondering who it is... Can't wait to see a bit of gameplay footage.

Damn,that was good.

I quite like the VA. She has a level of vulnerability in her voice that adds to Lara's. We'll see how she does in dialogue, but it's got me interested.

Somewhat disappointed we have to wait a year and a half now after that was released, but if they show us a nice stream of goodies over the next year and a half and they're making the game perfect, I can wait.

I don't like them changing Lara's origin story!!

:angry2:

It's like making a new Spiderman movie and say Peter Parker became Spider Man because he swallowed a Spider when he slept!!

:angry:

I don't like them changing Lara's origin story!!

:angry2:

It's like making a new Spiderman movie and say Peter Parker became Spider Man because he swallowed a Spider when he slept!!

:angry:

I knew what your post would be before I even saw it.

But I can't say I agree with you. The problem with Lara's old backstory is that it's too 'superhero' for someone who isn't a superhero. She's a woman who, while extraordinary, is no different to anyone else in the world other than she has a will to discover, explore, all whilst using great intellect and survival. Her old backstory had her surviving by herself as a child, or in the wild, seemingly getting these survival skills from no where. She also became far too murderous towards the end, especially Core's Lara. Artefacts, while still important to her, almost seemed to rival her love of murdering mercenaries. She wasn't relatable.

They're telling the story of how she became a survivor that's culturally relevant, and for once, she's actually someone people can relate to. The old Lara was invincible, she shrugged off injuries and bullets like they were nothing, and came over some insurmountable challenges in ridiculous ways. The new Lara's vulnerable, and she's got the will to survive, but she's not invincible.

It's easy to see that CD have got their influences from the new Bond/Batman movies, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. This isn't a carbon copy of their stories, and for once, this is a Lara I enjoy. The old TRs I enjoyed more for their gameplay. Lara's personality was fine, but it had no depth. Crystal's Legend Lara had some, but she was still too wrapped up in her mother for me to truly enjoy her as a person. I actually found Anniversary my favourite game out of the three for that reason.

At least this time they're combining her personality with gameplay. So long as they mix the mystery of the island and Lara's survival, this may become my favourite Tomb Raider game yet.

Guns and Grapple

This article dissects the trailer very nicely.

I think the game sounds great so far although I'll admit I like my Lara to be closer to a superhero. While her vulnerability makes her relatable I think its a bit more fun when I feel like she can handle anything that comes her way. But the concept of this game is intriguing nonetheless. And they definitely had to switch things up in order to try to gain more fans.

Also actual gameplay footage from E3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6T-nF6mfVw

So intense and exciting! This is how gritty Tomb raiding should be! And scary!

Edited by Jolie752

Guns and Grapple

This article dissects the trailer very nicely.

I think the game sounds great so far although I'll admit I like my Lara to be closer to a superhero. While her vulnerability makes her relatable I think its a bit more fun when I feel like she can handle anything that comes her way. But the concept of this game is intriguing nonetheless. And they definitely had to switch things up in order to try to gain more fans.

Also actual gameplay footage from E3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6T-nF6mfVw

So intense and exciting! This is how gritty Tomb raiding should be! And scary!

Yeah, I just saw the gameplay trailer. Loving the direction they're going in.

Looking interesting. I hope they slow down her animations a little, though. She climbs up some of those ledges like a monkey, though that may be because of it being a live conference and they have strict time.

Bit less convinced of the VA now, though I'll wait until we get some raw footage from Crystal D themselves to judge her better.

I'm loving it all so far. I still need convincing on her voice though - it just doesn't sound right to me.

who is making this game?

I want to call them and complaint about a few things!!

EDIT: I emailed Eidos, Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix about this and I will call them later today too!

Edited by J7Dadda

who is making this game?

I want to call them and complaint about a few things!!

EDIT: I emailed Eidos, Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix about this and I will call them later today too!

What is it exactly that you don't like J7?

What is it exactly that you don't like J7?

first of all: her voice

next: she screams and whines like a little girl

and there are other things

I don't get the Tomb Raider/Lara Croft vibe when I watch the trailer;

it doesn't feel like a Tomb Raider/Lara Croft game!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the vibe. Although I like that it feels a lot grittier. Makes me feel like I'm actually there. We haven't seen her yet in an actual tomb, so I'm gonna wait till then to decide whether it's really Tomb Raider or not.

The whole point of this game, though, is that it's showing how she became the hardened adventurer Lara Croft. She moans and screams like a little girl because what she's going through is absolutely horrific.

She just got tied upside down, burnt herself and got impaled by a rusty spike. Anyone, and I mean absolutely anyone going through that for the first time (especially at 21) would be moaning and whining out of sheer fright and pain. The point is, she's going to evolve throughout the game. She'll start off scared, frightened, and then become the girl we all know.

Also, it's the intro, it really doesn't represent the entire game. Wait for them to showcase the actual adventuring/tomb side of it before you judge the entire thing.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the vibe. Although I like that it feels a lot grittier. Makes me feel like I'm actually there. We haven't seen her yet in an actual tomb, so I'm gonna wait till then to decide whether it's really Tomb Raider or not.

Wow, it's been a while guys! :lol:

I agree with both of you.

I mean the trailer looks amazing, but I'm so scared that I'll play the game and feel like it's not Tomb Raider anymore. :(

But Ms. Croft's point makes me feel a bit more...reassured, I guess? I always wondered how Lara learned all those things. :P

*sigh* Still got a long time to wait, though...

I believe that's called realism.

First off, that trailer was intense and very realistic! No complaints here.

I agree with Ms. Croft's assessment of the trailer and game in general.

Here's a recent Tomb Raider preview as found here: http://www.avault.com/previews/tomb-raider-ps3-preview/#more-70372

It seemed like a moment of deja vu this past winter when it was revealed that there would be yet another entry into the 15 year-old Tomb Raider series. The announcement was accompanied by reasons for why this game was going to be the return of Lara, but somehow they all seemed eerily familiar, recalling things that had been said about Lara’s previous 8 sequels. As I walked into Square’s demo room to see what Lara’s new adventure had in store, I had few expectations. When I walked out I was convinced that Lara was finally back and that next year’s Tomb Raider would be the game that fans have been waiting for.

With this Tomb Raider, Crystal Dynamics scrapped everything they knew about Lara Croft and started from scratch. Gone is the seasoned adventurer whom we’ve all come to know, and instead we’re presented with a young woman, vulnerable and trying to survive. Survival is the key to this new game, and I probably heard the word survival 10 to 15 times throughout the 40 minute demo. We began with Lara’s boat crashing, and her falling to the bottom of a cave. A gruesome injury awaited her at the bottom with a bone gouging her side. A quick time event (QTE) forced her to pull the bone out and left her bleeding and in need of medical assistance. From there we saw Lara find a way out of the cave by solving environmental puzzles and using the physics of water and fire.

At one point a native of the island attacks Lara and the game went back into a QTE to have her kick him off. The developer purposely failed the QTE and allowed Lara to be killed. What proceeded to happen was one of the most gruesome and disturbing deaths I’ve ever seen in a video game. The man jabbed her in the stomach, and then got very close to her face whispering, “It will all be over soon.” He hushed her and put his knife to her neck. I was both shocked at the violence that the scene contained and how I felt when it happened. This scene showed again, that survival is the key. This Tomb Raider game is much more lethal than any before it. The environment, characters, and creatures in it are deadly and it’s your job to make sure Lara survives.

The developer continued where he left off and this time successfully completed the QTE event. Lara survived and after a few more puzzles was able to escape the cave somewhat unscathed. One thing I noticed was how fluid her movements seemed to be. One of the problems, for me at least, with the majority of the Tomb Raider games was that controlling Lara always seemed a little robotic. This time, her movement seemed much more free flowing and the camera seemed more dynamic and didn’t look to be much of a hinderance like in some previous installments. In a third person action game this is key. After completing that segment the developer proceeded to a section later in the game that had Lara fighting wolves and trying to save a companion. We learned that she is not alone on this island and that the survival of both Lara and her crew will come down to the success of the actions she takes.

The most striking thing about the game was its presentation. I think the team at Crystal Dynamics played a lot, and I mean A Lot of the Uncharted series. The cinematic flare that this game has not only draws you into the story, but also adds a beautiful environment and main character at that. In just 40 minutes I developed an attachment to this new Lara, and began to get a sense of things to come. Most of this was presented in her on screen actions and reactions to what was going on around her, something that the Uncharted series has perfected. The addition of meaningful and cinematic QTE events adds to the tension and overall story that this game is trying to present. It almost felt like there was a little bit of Heavy Rain inspiration thrown in.

I was blown away by the direction that Crystal Dynamics is taking the Tomb Raider series. It’s exactly what fans have been wanting, and possesses what will surely draw in new players. It seems as if development teams that have attempted this before had just made another Tomb Raider game and never caught up to the current state of action games. The titles always seemed a little dated with their controls and mechanics. This Tomb Raider not only looks to be the best entry since the original, but appears to be setting itself up for one of the biggest and maybe successful releases of 2012. Lara may have been lost on many adventures over the past 15 years, but come next year she will have found her way back.

heh, i was really looking forward to seeing the trailer, but i am not a youtube member so i can not watch it because it can only be watched by youtube members.

maybe i am way too late though and this is old news or something haha

Here's an updated link to the Turning Point trailer.

Edited by Morph