Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Tombraider 3 Group Play

Just finished the first level of TR3. Doing much better the second time around and on a computer rather than the PS2. I love being able to save whenever AND having health top-up crystals. :-) I think I only used one small health pack and that was 'cause I handled something stupidly. So . . . Yeah!!

And Andy Murray won Olympic Gold yesterday. Cool.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then there were three.... ;) Glad you decided to drop in, Jerad. I'm not sure who's still hanging around besides me and Stefy, but I expect people will come and go. I think it will still be fun with just a few. I'm working my way through the jungle now, taking screenshots like a tourist instead of an adventurer, but that's how I roll. lol I'll try and post again soon.

I'm in . . . what comes after the jungle? Temple ruins? 'Killed' the statue and got through the dart room underneath. I forgot how much I hated jumping between the tree branches. But at least now a) I'm a more better player and 2) I can save anytime I want! Heh heh heh. A good way to end a day that included finding a stash of my son's dirty clothes and one of the gerbils being sick or ill or something. And my foot hurts. Oh well, it happens.

Anyway, I'll try and get another hour of play in tomorrow. Depending on the gerbil. I'm not taking any screenshots, I hardly ever do while I'm on holiday either. Good thing I don't write walkthroughs! I am tempted to do a map though . . .

Played a bit this morning but quit when I got to that damned timed run with the spiked wall just before getting the First Ganesh Key. Last time I tried TR3 it took me a lot of tries to get that . . . expletive deleted thing. I'm gonna have to be in a good mood and have had at least one glass of wine first. :-)

Anyway, I'll try and get another hour of play in tomorrow. Depending on the gerbil. I'm not taking any screenshots, I hardly ever do while I'm on holiday either. Good thing I don't write walkthroughs! I am tempted to do a map though . . .

Yes, yes! Map! I'll have some of that, please. :D And sorry about the gerbil hope he/she/it is OK. :(

Hopefully the gerbil will be okay. Everything crossed!!

Can I just say, for the record how much I HATE getting the 4th Ganesh Key? I remember working hard to get it before . . . I'm not sure I ever did to be honest. Why do game designers feel the need to make some bits really, really tough. Or is it just me? Sigh. I just can't get the swerve to the second switch down. I'll persevere but no more tonight. Can you crawl between the descending spikes? Hmmmm . . .

Map . . . I'd love to map out whole levels . . . maybe someday . . . when I'm stuck in the hospital . . . or I've broken my leg. :-)

Hopefully the gerbil will be okay. Everything crossed!!

Can I just say, for the record how much I HATE getting the 4th Ganesh Key? I remember working hard to get it before . . . I'm not sure I ever did to be honest. Why do game designers feel the need to make some bits really, really tough. Or is it just me? Sigh. I just can't get the swerve to the second switch down. I'll persevere but no more tonight. Can you crawl between the descending spikes? Hmmmm . . .

Map . . . I'd love to map out whole levels . . . maybe someday . . . when I'm stuck in the hospital . . . or I've broken my leg. :-)

When you enter the room, sprint towards the switch next to the door. The roll over (press the up, and then down pointer) and run toward the second switch. When you pull it, sprint again towards the path in the ground. ;) I always do that.

By the way, I'm really sorry I haven't yet posted Area 51 review, but I don't spend time at home these days. I tried to upload on YouTube me playing the India boss fight, but I have some problems with that. -.- So, I am not going to leave you, I read every post you two post. :) Greetings from Serbia, here in 4:10 AM. xD

EDIT: Here's the video, sorry for the low resolution, it's the best I could made (problems with some programs):

Feel free to use the video, Stella. :)

Edited by Stefy

Got the 4th key, I wasn't sprinting to the first switch, DUH!! (Thanks Stefy) But I've just tried the 5th key about 10 times and I'm just not getting that one either. Sigh.

I don't mind trying stuff 5 - 10 times but after a while . . . I just get frustrated and want to quit. Especially when I don't think I'm making progress. Sigh.

I'll try again later. I know it's possible. But I wish it was a bit easier.

Yeah, but in difficult situation in TR3, especially the ones which include speed, the best option is always a sprint and a good strategy. :) I always think when I am in that kind of situation, but at this point I can't really be because I know all traps in TR3 and the strategy for all situations of that kind. xD But when I played it for the first time, I was really thinking in some cases, especially the ones like that room with spikes. :)

Can't sprint while swimming!! (Or can you?)

Anyway, got the 5th Ganesh Key after carefully reading Stella's advice. Am now at the beginning of the River Ganges level. I remember now, I never got to the first secret on this level so it all new to me. Got the first secret and got the quad-bike to the golden gate. It's after 11pm now so I think I'll quit for the night. Glad to be done with Ganesh Keys!! :-) Although generally I don't get on well with vehicles in TR. Really hated the motorcycle runs in Legend. But with slower things I just go slowly and save a lot.

Can't sprint while swimming!! (Or can you?)

Anyway, got the 5th Ganesh Key after carefully reading Stella's advice. Am now at the beginning of the River Ganges level. I remember now, I never got to the first secret on this level so it all new to me. Got the first secret and got the quad-bike to the golden gate. It's after 11pm now so I think I'll quit for the night. Glad to be done with Ganesh Keys!! :-) Although generally I don't get on well with vehicles in TR. Really hated the motorcycle runs in Legend. But with slower things I just go slowly and save a lot.

Well, swimming is a tricky thing. xD I most hate water parts of levels in TR, I don't know why, maybe because I hate everything you have to do in specific time, in this case, until Lara doesn't die. Yeah, the motorcycle in Legend could really suck sometimes, but it's my favourite TR game of Crystal Dynamics, although it's really short. Anyway, the topic is about TR3, maybe Legend in other case. :D Here, again, from Serbia in 4:33 AM just got home from nightlife. :D

Hi everyone! I wanted to join in some weeks ago, but I got caught up in two other RPG's that I just couldn't put down.

So what's it been? A year since I stopped playing? Jeez... I'm old. From the looks of it I stopped in one of the South Pacific levels. I beat India and Nevada - (and omg, did I really write those crazy alien theories? Ha!) so I'll just jump right in and let you know what's going down! ...South.

Alright - I started in the middle of a rapid on Madubu Gorge. It took me a few minutes to reacquaint myself with the controls. Once I did, me and my kayak were off.

You know what I realized for the first time ever? The ropes trigger the traps lining the rapids! It's no wonder I never finished these levels! I probably kept dying over and over again! I think the further you progress down the river, the more treacherous the traps get. I feel sorry for anyone who has to play on the PlayStation and, as a result, ration out their save crystals. Because I have to save every minute or so in this level!

Finally, I got to the "plug room". Of all my memories of Tomb Raider as a kid, this is one of the most prominent in my mind. For some reason I thought there would be alligators in the chamber... There weren't. (But they came much later!)

Bazooka! To ration... or not to ration... I'm being careful with my ammo because I know that I'll have to fight *SPOILER* Puna at the end of these levels. And the Willard fight is pretty hard on my inventory as well.... Hmmm...

The waterfall cave is beautiful. I just love the South Pacific levels because of the water and the caves and the gorgeousness of them all. I would like to know how a well-preserved Lara Medipack wound up sitting on the corner of a ledge with water flowing underneath it. This would be a #TombRaiderNuances moment on Twitter.

Lara hardly ever has the luxury of saying her enemy is the light at the end of the tunnel, because her true enemy is the boulder at the end of the tunnel. Yikes!

There's always two boulders. I should have known that. I was priding myself that I remembered the right button for crouching and dodged the boulder at just the last moment... and then I ran into the second one.

THREE BOULDERS?!?!?! I just got past the second one! ASKHNSKFSKD!!!

Beat the level!

Time: 1:15:37

Kills: 16

Health Packs Used: 4.5

Secrets: 2/3

And Temple of Puna is done. I actually played through this level once before (using the fan-favorite level-skip cheat), so I was already familiar with how to take down Puna. I killed him on my second try, because just as I fired the final shot on him the first time (cue explosion) I side-flipped off the platform and into the pit below. :/

London is next. Antarctica afterwards!

Level 7: Area 51

So, this level is really kind messed up for me. :/ I like it, but I don’t like it at the same time. I think there are a lot of killings to do in this level and that’s what I don’t really like. I also don’t like because there are so many paths that, if you’re playing for the first time, you will get lost.

tomb3-2012-08-08-14-15-5.jpg

The begining is where the previous left off. So, we’re getting off the truck and kill a guard quickly so he doesn’t push the button and closes the door with M15 (I guess that’s the name). First, I really didn’t know how to get in that room even playing now, and then I figured up and remembered. :) I figured that I need to kill him very quick.

tomb3-2012-08-10-02-40-2.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-02-41-4.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-02-42-3.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-02-43-0.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-02-44-4.jpg

tomb3-2012-08-10-02-47-4.jpg

Next part of the levels is through those dark paths until we get to the open-air area. Ah, I can feel oxigen. This part I really like, I adore killing those dogs and that guard and picking up weapons which are thrown through the ground. The next part, the one with the paths and lasers which activate the automatic guns I really hate.

tomb3-2012-08-10-02-50-3.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-02-55-5.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-03-10-4.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-03-11-2.jpg

Then, we’re in the room with rocket and we need a CD to get it up so that we can go up. Even now, I couldn’t find the CD. I totally forgot to chech the guard in the room with the rocket after I killed him. After a while, I picked up the CD and continued. The part with the space-alien ship (first time) is interesting because you can go up and see the entire chamber. I really like the open view to the sky. :D The stupid thing is that the card is on the ship. :S Strange.

tomb3-2012-08-10-03-14-2.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-03-14-2.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-03-14-3.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-03-17-2.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-03-18-3.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-03-19-5.jpg

Okay, so we put the card and here’s my favourite part of the level. I adore when that rocket is activated and you need to run to avoid fire to kill you. Ahh, very good. :D

The outside part of the level is really awesome, too. The environment is really cool and I liked that mini-pool, although I don’t know why they put it there.

tomb3-2012-08-10-03-24-2.jpgtomb3-2012-08-10-03-24-4.jpg

Back to the space-alien ship chamber getting the CD into the computer. Okay, so I really got scared when I saw that bloody alien for the first time. I got even more scared when I entered the room, I had a feeling he will get up and I’ll have to do some killings, even now. So, the room with the water pool is awesome, although I never figured out how to get into it. xD

tomb3-2012-08-10-03-27-2.jpg

So, the last part of the level, into the space alien is very disapointing for me. The obvious reason because there is not a boss fight, I never figured out why they didn’t do it. If the didn’t put a boss in India, it could be understandable since is the first destination, but I don’t know why Nevada is special. The second reason is that there isn’t the next level. :S What? Yes, there are only three levels of Nevada, although every other destinations have four (with the bonus level, London is suposed to have 5). Other destinations also have boss fightes, too. It’s really ununderestandable for me why this things where changed in Nevada. However, it doesn’t make it the worst destination for me, Nevada Desert is still my favourite level. :)

tomb3-2012-08-10-03-27-5.jpg

PROGRESS:

tomb3-2012-08-10-03-27-4.jpg

Well, after a weekend off watching the end of the Olympics and putting together old Bionicle sets my son no longer wants so we can sell 'em on ebay I started on the Arizona levels. I found the last two levels of India pretty easy, especially compared with the first couple. But all much better on a PC vs a PS because of being able to save and save and save!! :-)

I love the Arizona 'look' having grown up in New Mexico and having seen a few rattlesnakes in my time. Don't remember any vultures though . . .

Anyway, sounds like I've got a lot to look forward to (Stefy and Hunter). A gamer friend of mine said he thought TR3 was the best video game he'd ever played! He liked the locations and the traps and the plot. I have to say, as much as I like the Crystal games (and I agree with Stefy, Legend is a fine, fine game) I'm beginning to see his point. TR3 is great. A bit hard in places (especially near the beginning, WTF?) but I'm enjoying it very much now. :-)

PS I've always hated the boss fights. The first TR game I played was Anniversary and, never quite getting the hang of adrenaline dodges, just about quit at the T-Rex and Centaur fights. There was one in Legend that I struggled with a lot but when I replayed it a few weeks ago I found it quite easy.

I suppose my favourite game really is . . . hmm . . . I'll have a think. I haven't played Last Revelation or Chronicles or Angel at all yet. I like Legend a lot. Anniversary . . . never finished. There's that difficult sequence of jumps in the pyramid that I've never got. Underworld is very, very good. Except for some dodgy camera moments and one (unnecessary) motorcycle run which I never got I think ti's lush and gorgeous and not many big boss fights. I love the graphics and the textures and the sounds. I started it again a few weeks ago and got to the Kraken. Lovely stuff. And much more enjoyable the second time around. Hmm . . . is there a 'favourite TR' thread?

PS I've always hated the boss fights. The first TR game I played was Anniversary and, never quite getting the hang of adrenaline dodges, just about quit at the T-Rex and Centaur fights. There was one in Legend that I struggled with a lot but when I replayed it a few weeks ago I found it quite easy.

I suppose my favourite game really is . . . hmm . . . I'll have a think. I haven't played Last Revelation or Chronicles or Angel at all yet. I like Legend a lot. Anniversary . . . never finished. There's that difficult sequence of jumps in the pyramid that I've never got. Underworld is very, very good. Except for some dodgy camera moments and one (unnecessary) motorcycle run which I never got I think ti's lush and gorgeous and not many big boss fights. I love the graphics and the textures and the sounds. I started it again a few weeks ago and got to the Kraken. Lovely stuff. And much more enjoyable the second time around. Hmm . . . is there a 'favourite TR' thread?

I don't like Underworld at all. I am a really big fan of TR, but I played Underworld just once and never again, and I won't play it neither in the near future. I like the graphics of Underworld, but Lara's look just doesn't work fine for me, reminds me on some granny. She looks very old in Underworld, maybe this are just my thoughts. However, you should play all TR Classics (1-6) because they are much more interesting and challanging than the new ones. The best thing is that they are related to each other and you can follow the plot and play games at the same time knowing that the next is sequel. :) Chronicles was the second TR game I have ever played in my life and I am emotionally related to it, too. I had PS version and my uncle played it, like TR3. Chronicles is a good game, however, critics says it isn't. Why? Play all the games and you'll get to the point of Chronicles. ;) I haven't completed The Last Revelation never, I started to play it two years ago and I got to the Giza levels and stopped because I didn't have time to play it. However, it's a really difficult game because there are levels in which you need to go from one to another and then go back again to the previous ones. Really annoying if you want to play it without walkthorughs. I really don't like walkthroughs (No offense, Stella :) ) because I like to play it on my own, but Last Revelation I just couldn't. TR2 I did, TR 3 too (except 2 levels). Anyway, give it a try when we finish this group play, start from the begining, go back 16 years and play TR1. ;)

I am not home again, so I won't post any reviews until weekend. :) I'll give you time to catch me up, although I think Stella will still be on Jungle. xD However, I will read and answer to your posts, but I won't be able to post mines. :) Raid on! :D

Edited by Stefy

I've played TR1 and 2 and will move onto The Last Revelation after finishing 3.

This morning I had a weird thing happen in the Nevada Secured Area level. The textures loaded incorrectly a few times. I kept dying 'cause . . . . I was stupid basically. And when the game reloaded sometimes the textures of the walls and stuff were wrong. It was very weird. I hope it doesn't do that again, makes it hard to see some stuff.

I've played TR1 and 2 and will move onto The Last Revelation after finishing 3.

This morning I had a weird thing happen in the Nevada Secured Area level. The textures loaded incorrectly a few times. I kept dying 'cause . . . . I was stupid basically. And when the game reloaded sometimes the textures of the walls and stuff were wrong. It was very weird. I hope it doesn't do that again, makes it hard to see some stuff.

I had the same problem 3 years ago. I strong recomend you to download and instal the TR multi fix patch from Tomb Raider Chronicles site: http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr3/fixes.html . It fixes mayor errors and bugs which show in TR Classics (1-5). :)

I just finished Thames Wharf. It took me two sittings to get through; I finished at 1:30 I think. I really didn't like this level. Unlike a lot of this game's previous levels, this one has poor level design. I feel like this was a crazier jungle than India or the South Pacific. I can't say I'm a fan of dark levels, either. I like being able to see everything around me. But I was constantly using my flares in this level. (Remind anyone of Barkhang Monastery in TR2? ;D ) Also, what the heck is a Flue Room? It looks more like an incineration chamber than anything used for medicinal purposes. And just to clarify, you will most likely no see doors composing the walls in London. The use of textures in this level was just bad. A lot of them were stretched or didn't make sense for the area. I just didn't like this level.

I know - I'm hating. But there were a few things that I really liked. The puzzle with the bladed machine underground was really interesting. I'm proud to say I solved it without perishing by its fans at all. *Cheers!* The second thing I liked was the building that had a row of windows and light coming through. That was a cool sight. The third sight I enjoyed was the hallway where you kill the mercenary with the Flue Room Key. You could see out the windows; transparent walls are used really well in these games and make for some cool scenery. The final thing I enjoyed was, naturally, the cathedral. Being able to see between the pillars from inside and see (an abnormally large) moon was awesome.

I was glad this level was over. Aldwych comes next, I believe. Here's hoping that I can make that ledge at the start of the level. ;D

As for my favorite Tomb Raider, it's hard to pick. I grew up with the classics, so I feel a sense of nostalgia for the Core games. The Atlantis levels of Tomb Raider 1 were great. And I loved the gnarly acrobatics Lara pulled off in some of those rooms filled with lava. In Tomb Raider 2, there was one standout moment in the Temple of Xian level that I'll always remember; on my first attempt I ran the length of a bridge that was suspended over a pit of lava. Behind me tumbled a titanic boulder. I could have jumped for a platform embedded in the dragon statue a leap away from the bridge's end, but instead, Lara rolled and clung to the edge of the bridge as the boulder rolled over her head and into the lava. In reality, her fingers would've been crushed, but Lara's too cool for reality. ;D

Really I love all the games for different reasons: Angel of Darkness had an amazing story and soundtrack, Underworld was graphically amazing, etc. But honestly, I think I'll say that Guardian of Light tops my list. Some of my best memories come from playing co-op with my friend. There was an excellent balance between platforming, puzzle-solving, and combat. The story was simple, yet garnered an epic flare. The only downside, in my opinion, was that the music was recycled from other games, but that's merely a small gripe at the bottom of a long list of things I love about the game. I really hope they do more GoL-esque games in the future.

No more texture problems! (I have the patched version . . . I think) And I've finished the Nevada levels. Got a little lost trying to get around Area 51 but eventually got it!! Decided to do the South Pacific stuff before London and quit after having trouble finding all the flares at the bottom of the crocodile lake. Sometimes it's just easier to wait 'til it's darker where I am so I can see the screen better. As long as I remember to quit and go to bed eventually! :-)

Man, I think this post dies and comes back to life as much as Natla. :P

Anyway, I'm back in--having finished Lego Star Wars III.

The break actually improved my game playing somehow. :blink: I was finally able to get that blue crystal at the right when you first go down in the kayaking level. I saved it until I got to the area with the crocodile and lizard, where you have to jump to grab the ceiling. I wanted to use it there because I was having problems with the grabbing the ceiling part. I almost cried, though, when I accidentally fell into the water--and I wound up in an area where I drowned.

However, I was able to get the crystal again. :lol: And I was able to save at that part. I was able to grab the ceiling once I realized I had to press jump and grab at the same time. I even managed to make it past the burners. My only problem now is that Lara keeps falling into the water during the jumps and getting eaten by piranhas or dying a slow death from drowning.

But at least I don't have to do the kayaking anymore. I was getting so sick of that! <_<

We have a tropical storm coming our way. I don't expect it to be a problem, but I may go offline if I lose my electric.

Oh, and if any of you are my friends of Facebook, I disabled my account. I'm hardly there anymore, and leaving an open account that isn't being used leaves you vulnerable to hackers.