Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

tomb raider becomes "survival raider"???

hippo

i have not been a into TR a lott for years, so i dont really know a lott about what i am going to say. but is it true that the newest game with lara croft in it is going to be not a tomb raiding game but a survival game? one of my friends told me and i read something about it in a game magazine, that they were going to make lara croft younger (just out of collage) and that she somehow would land on a island full of dangers and she had to survive using skills and her surrounding. i did not really like that, that they made her a child again (the "new" lara croft) and that the game would probably not be about tomb raiding, she wont even have her twin guns?

does anyone know more about this, or is there something about this on the forum?

• 3 months later...

So far she has no skills as a survivor nor a Tomb Raider so we can only assume that she builds her talents and instincts throughout the game

and everything is new to Lara. The first game Lara was seasoned already and this new reboot she's fresh out of College so she has to grow into

what she will someday become. Will we ever see the Lara we once knew is yet to be seen and frankly I think in some respects perhaps, but others

will be totally new. I believe we might see Lara in similar outfits down the road that are appropriate to her environment and surroundings

eventually. Personally I'd love to end the game on the island and we fast forward a year for a bonus level and Lara starts to hone her skills

as a Tomb Raider somewhere and we get a tease of whats to come in a second game.

• 6 months later...

This sounds like an attempt to use the Tomb Raider concept in an open (open world?) environment. On one hand it makes sense. TR originally did well because it seemed to expand what the player could do within a game, thanks in no small part to her physical prowess. Lara could somesault in any direction while shooting, grab ledges and climb, while the average FPS (king of gaming at the time) would block the player's progress with a shin-high partition. This made TR's levels seem more expansive, though in reality they were the same size, if not smaller than, levels in other games. Then again, other games used sprites to represent all living things, and TR used fully rendered 3d objects.

Now that open-world gaming is big, it makes sense to take advantage of it. The problem is that Lara's progress has always been linear. She moves forward by following clues and solving puzzles, and if you give her too much room to explore it will confuse the player about what to do, where to go. That doesn't really fit any open-world scenario, so in order to bring her fully into the 21st century open-world market, the game designers need to come up with something new, a new way of applying the open-world concept. I'm all for that, but I imagine it's gonna take some trial and error before they come up with the right formula.

What I'm saying is: wait and see. Let them experiment, then make your voices be heard. Change is never easy, but I hope it'll be worth it.