Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

TR Underworld Group Play

Stellalune

Hey, everybody! Welcome to another Tomb Raider group play. This time, we'll be enjoying the 21st-century graphic splendor of Tomb Raider: Underworld. ;)

TRU_PC_package_med.jpg

In case you're new to this whole "group play" thing, there are no firm rules. It's basically just a way to have fun with a single-player game almost as though it were co-op. A few notes/guidelines:

• Play on whichever system you prefer. (For this game, there are differences between the PC/Xbox/PS3 version and the PS2 and Wii games. Let us know which you have and we'll compare notes.)
  • It's not a race. Play as slowly or or as fast as you like. Then just share your ideas and impressions and read/comment on what other players' posts. Include screenshots or video if you like. Mention things that were fun, frustrating, glitchy, weird or otherwise remarkable for you.
  • If you want to, set a challenge for yourself. Then share your proud achievements--all kills, no health packs, fastest completion time, slowest completion time (that's me!), trophies/achievements unlocked, something you managed to do this time through the game that you've never done before, etc.
  • A few of our previous group plays have been hosted here on LCO. You can find those threads at the top of the Legacy forum.
  • The game's been out forever, so I think it's OK to post spoilers. (e.g., Lara's mother is not holding court in some mythical paradise ;) Select text to see spoiler.) If anyone is just playing the game for the first time, let us know and we'll reassess.
  • You don't have to use my walkthrough (or any walkthrough, for that matter), but if you do and would like to contribute notes, suggestions or corrections, I welcome them. That's one of the many reasons I like to do this.
  • Oh, and please remember to read and follow the Forum Guidelines. We're guests here, so let's all be on our best behavior. :D

Right! Let's go adventuring...!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everybody!

Its so nice to bee here again. I have PC version of Underworld and I am going to play that one.

As you know, there is patch for Tomb Raider Underworld, this game is great but very buggy too. So don't forget to install patch.

You can found it here: http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/TR8files.html

I wish you all good time and happy raiding! :D

Alright! I'm so excited! Too bad I ended up stuck with the PS2 version though. I bought it for PC but I have Windows 7 and it was being too slow. My aunt's laptop has Vista, but for some reason it's doing the same thing. If anyone knows what I could do, please tell me! xD Until then, PS2 version.

Alright! I'm so excited! Too bad I ended up stuck with the PS2 version though. I bought it for PC but I have Windows 7 and it was being too slow. My aunt's laptop has Vista, but for some reason it's doing the same thing. If anyone knows what I could do, please tell me! xD Until then, PS2 version.

Try to lower the graphic. My PC can't run Underworld very well with all settings high. I am playing on Medium texture detail. Let us know if lowering the graphic helped you.

Everything is a *#$%# on Vista, Caity. Take it from a Vista owner. <_< I'd upgrade, but I haven't heard things are much better with Windows 7, and I worry that the Level Editor will not work with it...though people have said it does.

I'll be playing on Xbox. Unfortunately, the Xbox that had the downloadable levels needs to be repaired, so if you were planning to do those as well...I can't play. I can sometimes get the old one to work, but I don't want to risk my disk if it decides to stop working.

Underworld isn't my favorite of the series, but it certainly made an impression. Everytime there is a contest, I usually am inspired by the events to do a piece of artwork or a story.

Speaking of Lara's mother, did anyone have any preconceived ideas before playing this game of what her fate would be? I have to admit I didn't exactly expect a happy ending. I thought maybe Lara would find her dead, but maybe Amelia would leave behind a nice note leaving her love behind that would make us feel fuzzy. Or maybe Amelia would be alive, but it would be a situation where they only had once chance to get back--and Lara makes it, but something keeps Amelia from going back. However, I have to admit the real ending was a shock.

Everything is a *#$%# on Vista, Caity. Take it from a Vista owner. <_< I'd upgrade, but I haven't heard things are much better with Windows 7, and I worry that the Level Editor will not work with it...though people have said it does.

I'll be playing on Xbox. Unfortunately, the Xbox that had the downloadable levels needs to be repaired, so if you were planning to do those as well...I can't play. I can sometimes get the old one to work, but I don't want to risk my disk if it decides to stop working.

Underworld isn't my favorite of the series, but it certainly made an impression. Everytime there is a contest, I usually am inspired by the events to do a piece of artwork or a story.

Speaking of Lara's mother, did anyone have any preconceived ideas before playing this game of what her fate would be? I have to admit I didn't exactly expect a happy ending. I thought maybe Lara would find her dead, but maybe Amelia would leave behind a nice note leaving her love behind that would make us feel fuzzy. Or maybe Amelia would be alive, but it would be a situation where they only had once chance to get back--and Lara makes it, but something keeps Amelia from going back. However, I have to admit the real ending was a shock.

My heart jumped when Lara first pull the trigger and i screamed 'NO' at the Tv but i wasn't expecting a happy ending either. Was hoping for something a bit more complex than that however =/

There is a known issue with the PC version of Underworld and computers with certain Nvidia graphics cards. If you're trying to play Underworld on PC and it's running slowly, make sure that you install the patch (only works on the disc version of the game, not on downloadable ones such as on Steam). Making sure that your graphics drivers are up-to-date will help too.

I'm currently running Windows 7 and I am very happy with it. I can't say if the Level Editor will work with it as I don't use it, but I've gotten all of the older TR games to run, including TR1 (using DOSBox).

I have a bunch of different versions--PC, Xbox 360 and Wii--but I think I'll play on the computer since it's easier to do screenshots and such.

Caity, I agree w/ Eldin about turning down the graphics settings. This game is a huge resource hog. Even with 4 GB RAM, I still have to turn off some effects or it really chugs, especially when there's a lot of water in the level.

There's a thingy here [http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx] that will analyze your PC and compare it to the specs for the game. That should give you heads-up if something's really below spec. But, again, as Eldin mentioned, if your system meets the requirements but the game just runs really slowly, tweaking the settings may help.

Mute2Conversations, I thought the version of the Level Editor that runs on Vista also works on Windows 7. I haven't tried it myself, but that might be an option. I skipped from XP right to 7, without ever owning a Vista system. From what I hear, I'm pretty glad I did. ;)

Ugh. Feeling a little seasick. When I first played this game, on a big new monitor, after not having played any 3D games at all for a couple of months, I literally had to take Dramamine to get through this first underwater sequence. I was honestly a little scared that my raiding days might be cut short by terminal nausea. But it passed. Thank goodness!

Anyway, I'm gonna try and find all these little treasure thingeys without looking at my own walkthrough. LOL! What are they anyway? A friend who also came to video games through tabletop roleplaying said they reminded her of 8-sided dice. ;)

tomb-raider-underworld-artifact-papercraft.jpg

Papercraft TRU treasure from paperkraft.blogspot.com

dice.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons dice

Hello. :D

New on the forum here, but I am definitely not new to Tomb Raider. I am known as Tombraiderfreak on other forums, and as J_CHarMeD_FreAk on Twitter for those who are on Twitter. I'm going to be starting soon. I always loved Underworld. :wub:

Ugh. Feeling a little seasick. When I first played this game, on a big new monitor, after not having played any 3D games at all for a couple of months, I literally had to take Dramamine to get through this first underwater sequence. I was honestly a little scared that my raiding days might be cut short by terminal nausea. But it passed. Thank goodness!

Anyway, I'm gonna try and find all these little treasure thingeys without looking at my own walkthrough. LOL! What are they anyway? A friend who also came to video games through tabletop roleplaying said they reminded her of 8-sided dice. ;)

tomb-raider-underworld-artifact-papercraft.jpg

Papercraft TRU treasure from paperkraft.blogspot.com

dice.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons dice

This is what I like about this game. I love to hunt the treasures in this game, they are everywhere and sometimes it can be very hard to find them all. I can still remember Southern Mexico and Jan Mayen Islands, ahhh it was so hard to find them all. I will try my best this time and I won't look at walkthrough. B)

Just finished the Mediterranean Sea Levels. I forgot how much I loved this game. It has so many high points, but it also has it's glitches.

I actually experienced one on Amanda's Ship in the Mediterranean. I was fighting a group of baddies, and when I finished, Lara was still holding one of her pistols, even though she had already holsted her good friends.

post-22626-0-63163500-1329609647_thumb.j

This persisted until the end of the level. She even ran and climbed with this interesting glitch. I don't know if anyone has discovered this glitch, but it is quite interesting.

post-22626-0-86793100-1329609750_thumb.j

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------;

Anyway... Moving on, I found this picture on Lara's boat quite intriguing as I've never noticed it before. If I had to assume, I would guess that it is her Grandfather, Richard James Croft I. What do you think?

post-22626-0-83630000-1329609839_thumb.j

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------;

I had already been playing before I started this playthrough, so I already had 23 out of 26 treasures from the Mediterranean, and I don't know how to reset my game with no treasures without having to uninstall and re-install it. So, I ended up with all 26 treasures and the 1 relic in the Mediterranean Sea Levels. Next Stop... Coastal Thailand Levels.

post-22626-0-60357800-1329609950_thumb.j

I'll be moving on soon after a brief break... Don't want to rush through the game. :D

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll fiddle with it and see if I can't get it running smoothly.

Yeah Jessica, I totally did not expect Lara's mum to be (basically) a zombie. I'm not even sure what I wanted to happen, but I didn't really want her to be dead. Or undead.

Edit: Welp even with all my fiddling and the patch, it's not working because of some video card disc driver thingy. Maybe if I do all that with Windows 7 it'll work.

Edited by CaityFM

I've just started the Mediterranean Sea levels. I'm playing the PC version on Windows 7, for those who are interested. I love taking screenshots, so my posts are going to be full of pictures. Click on any picture for the full-size version. I'm not very far yet, just about to go over to Amanda's ship.

1.jpg

Argh, an explosion! This is never good. Either we've had a gas leak, or someone's trying to kill me again. I bet it's the second one. It's always the second one.

2.jpg

Whoa, how much explosives did these people use?! This place is trashed! I sure hope my homeowners insurance covers this.

3.jpg

Oh for goodness sake, what now?! My house explodes, my friends try to kill me. I am DEFINITELY having a bad day.

4.jpg

It's suddenly one week earlier, and I'm in the middle of the ocean. Time for a bit of diving, I think!

5.jpg

This is me attempting to blow up a shark using a sticky grenade, and killing myself in the process. I suck.

6.jpg

Yeah, it's much safer to kill sharks using the harpoon gun.

7.jpg

"Incredible. The carvings are clearly similar to early Germanic design, but this is far older than the 5th century, yet, strangely enough, more sophisticated." I guess this would be an incredibly important and valuable find that would re-write a lot of text books. I sure hope it doesn't get blown up later or something.

8.jpg

Wow, look at this creature! It's probably hundreds of years old, and quite possibly unique in all the world. Oh well, it's in my way, LET'S KILL IT!

9.jpg

So sorry, old chum, but this is what happens to everyone who gets between me and treasure.

10.jpg

Oh boy, a magic glove! This is so AWESOME! I bet it gives me super powers!

11.jpg

How on earth did these guys sneak up on me?! Where did they even come from? I didn't see a ship before I came down here, and the ocean's pretty big, so I'm sure I would have noticed one. I guess they just spawned out of thin air in order to annoy me.

12.jpg

What?! THEY KNOCKED ME OUT AND STOLE MY MAGIC GLOVE! My one chance to be a superhero, gone! I am so going to end them all.

13.jpg

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!

14.jpg

Well, that must be where those stupid divers came from. I best get over there post-haste and do some killing.

Just got to Bhogovati. I'm taking Thailand Level by Level because it is the hardest area for me everytime. There's something different that screws me up everytime. So here's my progress.

;------------------------------------------------------------;

If I remember correctly, I have discovered all of the treasures up to the point of Bhogovati. So, progress is good.

I also got some pretty nice screens in the process.

Now, isn't this why we play Tomb Raider. For some nice scenery to accompany us on our adventures?

post-22626-0-17434400-1329617284_thumb.j post-22626-0-51671400-1329617293_thumb.j post-22626-0-54568900-1329617298_thumb.j post-22626-0-37180200-1329617306_thumb.j post-22626-0-78312900-1329617391_thumb.j post-22626-0-68132300-1329617406_thumb.j

Hey, maybe if Crystal focused on story and gameplay as much as their sceneries, we might get back to the way Tomb Raider should be... ;)

Random Stop Frame Animation :D

post-22626-0-77903500-1329617313_thumb.j post-22626-0-18549900-1329617323_thumb.j post-22626-0-22650900-1329617383_thumb.j

I'm loving playing through this game again, and noticing so many things I hadn't the first ten times I played it. Oh well... Next Stop, Bhogovati.

post-22626-0-02667700-1329617399_thumb.j

I've just started the Mediterranean Sea levels. I'm playing the PC version on Windows 7, for those who are interested. I love taking screenshots, so my posts are going to be full of pictures. Click on any picture for the full-size version. I'm not very far yet, just about to go over to Amanda's ship.

How are you getting it to work for Windows7?

I've never had any problem getting the game to run under Windows 7, fortunately. Even on the old computer I had when I first bought the game, I just turned the graphics settings down a bit when the frame rate dropped too low.

I have installed the game patch, and I'm using the beta release of the video card driver from the Nvidia website rather than the official one released in October, as that one caused problems for me with Windows Movie Maker.

This is my current setup:

CPU: Intel Core i3 (3Ghz)

RAM: 4GB

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1Gb)

I'm going to be playing the game on the PC for the first time, I have finished it on the PS3 previously so don't worry about spoilers. Last year I got a copy of underworld on PC but never played if because I had a gaming console. But now I have decided to play all the way through on PC. When posting level reviews I might complain about when the game slows down (which hopefully isn't a lot) do far I have had to turn off a heap of graphic settings just to get it to run a little faster but it's pretty good so far :P.

Ok so onto my first review.

LARA'S MANSION : PROLOGUE

The game starts out with Lara's house exploding with Lara still inside. We start gameplay. Y trying to get out of the burning mansion. Immedientely I noticed that the game was running slow due to the amount of texture in the fire. There was so much of it and it was really hard to overcome.

After getting part a lot of the fire I continued on and made use of Lara's other abilities. Later

On in the level I get to main foyer(if that's what you want to call it) Lara drills down to the floor and a cut scene plays.

Zip is a little deranged and confused, because he tried to shoot Lara (but we all know why). Then the screen goes white after Lara screams "NOOO!"

That's the end of the prologue. It's not very long which is good for prologue because they are meant to be short, sweet and start the story off significantly. This one definately did! The first time I played it I was shocked. The only thing I didn't like was the massive amount of fire effects. I know it was necessary for the level but it's was slowing down my game heaps. Out of 10 I would give this level a 6/10. Will post the next review tomorrow or something.

I am done with Mediterranean Sea.

First I must tell that this is my favorite area in Tomb Raider Underworld.

I love water and my long time dream is to one day dive in the sea with all equipment for that. I am a fish in horoscope too :rolleyes:

But this level is buggy too, there are some glitches around Kraken room, but I can get around that. I am very big fan of ruins in Tomb Raider too, so for me its always better to see some old ruin and explore it, I am not big fan when I need to kill some people in TR like on the boat.

So, for this level I am going to give 8/10 points.

Lara is true beauty in Underworld :wub:

post-8372-0-16904300-1329665201_thumb.jp

This monster is really scary!

post-8372-0-77186100-1329665290_thumb.jp

Hi Thor :D

post-8372-0-76585100-1329665352_thumb.jp

I am very pleased to see you again, Lara!

post-8372-0-96972300-1329665447_thumb.jp

Yay, I did it...all the treasures are here, relic as well ^_^

post-8372-0-10675000-1329665529_thumb.jp

I've just finished with the Mediterranean levels too, and will probably start on Thailand tonight.

15.jpg

I see you down there. You are so dead.

16.jpg

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU MESS WITH ME!

Also, this:

Moo hoo ha ha ha! I love sticky grenades!

17.jpg

This guy managed to die sitting up. Too funny.

18.jpg

Aaagh, take cover take cover!

19.jpg

Oh crumbs...

20.jpg

YOU MORON!

21.jpg

This is my angry face.

22.jpg

What do we have here? It's Amanda, and she has my magic glove!

23.jpg

Oh good, look who's here too. Ms Natla herself. Like my day wasn't bad enough already.

24.jpg

This is my very angry face.

25.jpg

Well, Amanda and Natla have scarpered and I'm stuck on a burning ship. Just perfect.

26.jpg

Whoa, the floor is moving! This is definitely not safe. Time to find a way off this tub.

27.jpg

Holy crap, I nearly got brained by a massive piece of electronic equipment! Aren't these things supposed to be bolted down?! Who knew climbing around a sinking ship could be so dangerous.

30.jpg

You won't get away that easy!

28.jpg

My magic glove! No!

29.jpg

Amanda and Natla got away, but at least I got my magic glove back. Off to Thailand!

Does anyone else love the sense of eeriness and darkness of the mexico level? To me that's what Tomb Raider's best for. Would be even better if Amanda's cronies weren't there, would make you feel even more alone :P

How the heck can you guys play so quickly? My eyeballs would be bleeding if I played Underworld for that long. :wacko:

Did anyone watch the preview and the previously trailers? I love the intro where you see the ashes of Croft Manor coming off Lara's gun, and that mournful Mozart music. I should have known there was no happy ending when they played that music.

I remembered when I first played this and saw the intro, I was like, "Okay...I know Lara is destructive, but why did she blow up her own house?"

I remembered the plotline, but I still watched the Previously trailer to get myself in to the mood. Very nice trailer. I was ready to cry by the beginning of the game.

I chose to do the Tomb Raider setting this time. Normally I always choose easy. I like a little bit of challenge, but too much p***es me off. :angry2:

PROLOGUE

Underworld's beginning is definitely dramatic, no arguments here. When I saw Lara in the explosion, I realized she didn't blow up her house. I couldn't explain how it did get blown up. I was so worried (I'm referring to the first time I played) that there was a timer at the beginning. I was glad to see there wasn't.

I hated the menu they have for this game, though. The graphics were better. I was not pleased with Lara's new look. I thought she was so beautiful in Underworld, so I didn't understand why they had messed with perfection.

I remember being bewildered when Zip started shooting at Lara, and he was doing it on purpose. And I was wondering where Alister was.

MEDITERRANEAN SEA

I hate sea levels! I really hate this one! I too got sick. I am glad you guys are big into looking for those stupid little secret things, because I am not going to bother. Maybe if someone paid me, I would. However, the rewards are not enough for me to be bothered. It was one thing in Legends where I could unlock an outfit, but Underworld isn't making it worth my while.

I should have realized there was no happy ending here when Lara was more pessimistic than she had been at the end of Legends. I guess one of the result of increasing the difficulty is that the sharks decide to attack me. They used to ignore me in this level, and I never got attacked by all three at once. My health got low, but of course that health pack I picked up in Prologue didn't carry over.

I always get turned around inside those caverns getting the keys and artifacts, and I have a hard time finding my way out. I had made a map the last time I played, but now I'm wondering if I didn't get things wrong as far as where things are in relation to each other.

I played a little bit past opening the door, but I got too whoozy and had to stop. My last save (because I don't think I can save manually in Xbox) was just after opening the door. So I'll start off there again.