Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

TR Underworld Group Play

Stellalune

MEDITERRANEAN--BOAT LEVEL (I LOVE BOAT LEVELS!!!)

Man, I wish I could steal guns, particularly since setting the game on medium makes me run out of ammo and makes me take more damage. And then one of my stickies was a dud. I threw it, but no boom or dead guys! And then one guy I killed came back to life. He must have some of that zombie juice in his blood.

Then I wondered why I like this level so much. I probably die on the boats more than I do at any other part of the game.

At some point, I was down to my spear gun--but I found out that it works very nicely on humans...better on them than sharks. Then I wondered why it only takes three spears to kill a human, when it takes a tone of bullets to do the same thing.

The game either has too many save points or not enough. It dings--I save--I walk two steps--and I get another ding. But when I'm in a difficult level, being chased by thralls, praying for a save point--no dings! My eyes are bloodshot, and I'm almost near having a seizure for playing so long before I hear a ding!

Okay, I really hate mentioning this--because it makes me feel like a perv, which is never attractive, particularly at my age. However, am I the ONLY one that noticed the protrusion in Natla's pants. LCO was being uncooperative, so I hope this link works:

http://twitpic.com/8ojvb4/full

What is that? Is she keeping her wallet in there so Amanda doesn't max out her credit cards? Do the Atlanteans possess both male and female accessories? Is there something Natla isn't telling us? Or is she just very happy to see Lara?

Meanwhile, Amanda looks rather worse for wear. She is all scrawny like she's doing crack or something.

As for how Lara got the artifcat after Amanda threw it in the water...well, maybe it went down slowly--and maybe the current wasn't so strong that it drifted much. However, this game requires a suspension of disbelief.

I started THAILAND. This was where the graphics were really stupendous! And it is nice to be in the cheerful sunlight, though we are going into another dreary place soon enough. I love seeing the parrots fly off.

I didn't give Jaws a chance. I shot that bastard! I learned my lesson in the Mediterranean level. Then I wondered if I shot a dolphin instead...but there are no dolphins in this game, right?

First time I played, I did swim too close to the cave that triggers that famous bug. Then I read about it, and went, "OH, @#*&!" However, I decided to play and see if I would have the problem...and I didn't. I was fortunate.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I really hate mentioning this--because it makes me feel like a perv, which is never attractive, particularly at my age. However, am I the ONLY one that noticed the protrusion in Natla's pants. LCO was being uncooperative, so I hope this link works:

What is that? Is she keeping her wallet in there so Amanda doesn't max out her credit cards? Do the Atlanteans possess both male and female accessories? Is there something Natla isn't telling us? Or is she just very happy to see Lara?

My mother was watching me play the game one time and she immediately thought the same thing lol. Maybe Natla's a transvestite.

Ha ha, I never noticed that before. Click here for a picture in all its high definition glory.

By the way, if anyone's having a problem with the forums, let me know. I've seen a couple of mentions of attachments giving problems, although I'm not having any issues myself.

I've just finished Mexico, so it's update time!

126.jpg

Well there's some pleasant imagery for you.

127.jpg

I guess this must be the barfing snake.

128.jpg

Toxic sludge. Lovely. I wonder if it'll give me super powers if I fall into it. No, I think it'll just kill me, so I'd better just stick to the magic gloves with the rubish batteries.

129.jpg

Why didn't you bring any of these guys home, father? They have hands. They could have opened the doors and murdered us in our sleep.

130.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere. Let's see what's inside this lovely statue.

131.jpg

What's this then?

132.jpg

A magic belt buckle to go with my magic gloves! Excellent!

133.jpg

Super awesome. I wonder what my super hero name should be. I'm going to need a costume...

134.jpg

Aw yeah, pushing a giant stone pillar with my magic set items.

135.jpg

DO YOU WANT NINJA? TAKE THAT!

136.jpg

Oh boy, swinging out of this area proved to be super frustrating. It took me absolutely ages to pull off.

137.jpg

Once I finally managed to make this jump, it occurred to me that I should check Stella's to see if I was doing it right, as it seemed to be unusually difficult. It turns out that I was doing it wrong and there was a much easier way to do it. Oh well.

138.jpg

Let's get as far away from that stupid sludge pit as possible!

139.jpg

Oh, giant spiders, just what I always wanted.

140.jpg

Pull the lever to open the door and end the level!

Oh, look what's happened. This motorcycle really hates me.

141.jpg

Out of there, finally! I'm ready for a change in scenery.

142.jpg

Oooh, mysterious goings-on.

Next up: Jan Mayan Island!

My mother was watching me play the game one time and she immediately thought the same thing lol. Maybe Natla's a transvestite.

LOL! I noticed it too. But, hey, Natla isn't human, is she? And who knows where Atlanteans keep their various organs? That might be her liver or something. ;)

Got done with Jan Mayen Island earlier!

143.jpg

I'll just open this using my super-strength. Well well, look what's waiting for me. I know what to do with that...

144.jpg

Hahahaha!

145.jpg

Look at him sitting there. He looks so bored. I think I'll make his life more interesting. By running him over. Ha ha.

147.jpg

Well, I got to the bottom of the ramp in one piece. Now to get these doors open...

149.jpg

Whatever's behind that door better have been worth the climb all the way up here, and back down again afterwards. People can't just use a simple bloody doorknob can they. Noooo, it'a all moving platforms and shooting steam. No-one's impressed, you know.

150.jpg

Puzzle solved. Let's get on with this!

151.jpg

oh boy, another enemy to annihilate!

152.jpg

Argh, trap! No fair!

153.jpg

Man, this is high. Does this place even have a bottom? It must do, or what are all these pillars sitting on. And where's that glow coming from? Shouldn't it be dark down there? Actually, it's probably better not to think about it.

154.jpg

These ancient sites are all full of disgusting man-eating spiders. It's a wonder there are any archaeologists left in the world. You'd have thought they'd have all been devoured by now.

155.jpg

Swinging over a deadly pit on a giant hammer while being attacked by bats. There's no way this could possibly go wrong.

156.jpg

What a nasty-looking creature. I sure am glad it's dead.

157.jpg

Eh?

158.jpg

Oh, crap.

160.jpg

Greatest weapon on earth? I like the sound of that! Gimme!

161.jpg

Mine mine mine mine mine mine mine!

162.jpg

BOW BEFORE ME, PUNY MORTALS, OR FACE MY WRATH! MOO HOO HA HA HA!!!

163.jpg

Oh yeah, that whole Helheim thing. Better sort that out first, then take over the world.

Next: Andaman Sea!

@Shrensh--thanks for sharing the motorcycle vid! That is the coolest bug I've ever seen. Hope it doesn't happen to me, though.

COASTAL THAILAND

So I started where I left off in sunny Coastal Thailand on the ledge you emerge from after taking a swim. It is nice being in the sun. I climbed up the rocky pillar. I perched and tried to jump to the other ledge. I missed and fell into the water. Repeat.

I'm glad I decided to wear my jungle pants. My boots are going to be a mess with all this bug squashing.

So I'm running through the foliage. Every so often, in the darker areas, I still need my boob light. Then I hear a tiger roaring. I take out my guns, but there is nothing there but the mosquitos. The tigers are still a way off...but that ain't a kitten purring, that's for sure.

Chimney jump, when I first played the game, was a really difficult skill to learn. I've mastered it by now, though.

The camera was buggy in some areas. I would suddenly be zoomed into Lara's shoulder. I couldn't always zoom out. I couldn't see where I was supposed to go, so I did a lot of blind jumping. I just jumped and hoped something was there.

Do you think developers play their own games? Again in this level--thousands of save dings when I didn't need them. Then we get to the difficult jumps, and suddenly no dings!

I often have problems getting Lara to drop on the side of the bar I want her to be on. That second pit with the jutting out bar-like ledges and bats, Lara makes things difficult by being distracted by something. She keeps looking elsewhere when I'm trying to get her to concentrate on the jumps.

I stopped at the Kali statue.

@Shrensh--thanks for sharing the motorcycle vid! That is the coolest bug I've ever seen. Hope it doesn't happen to me, though.

I was annoyed when it happened, but it made an amusing video and the save point was right there, so it turned out all right :lol: I got through the exit OK on the second attempt.

I've just finished the Andaman Sea. Short level, but enjoyable.

150-1.jpg

Another of Amanda's ships. The last one I was on was pretty fun. I hope I get to sink this one too.

151-1.jpg

Ahahahaha, this is the best weapon!

152-1.jpg

Wow, look at how far he flew. And he's smoking too. Cool.

153-1.jpg

THE ARMIES OF THE WORLD WON'T STAND A CHANCE AGAINST THE POWER OF MY MIGHTY HAMMER! My capital city will be named "Laratown". And December will be renamed "Laracember". And Sunday will be renamed "Laraday".

154-1.jpg

oh, it's Natla and her.. erm... her... oh god, I can't stop looking at it...

155-1.jpg

Oh great, I guess this means I'll have to keep her alive then. And I was so looking forward to squashing her like a bug.

156-1.jpg

My Doctor Who action figure collection was in that house! Do you have any idea how long it took me to collect all of those?!

157-1.jpg

I KILL YOU TO PIECES!

158-1.jpg

Hey, what's going on here?

159-1.jpg

Oh, ahahahaha, awesome. I guess you are useful for something.

160-1.jpg

Will you hold still so I can kill you! Man, for a sack of rancid meat you sure are fast.

161-1.jpg

Well, I suppose I have to let you live. Until you cease to be useful.

163-1.jpg

Stupid creepy bat.

Arctic Sea next!

Well, I'm near the end of the game now. Just finished the first bit of the Arctic Sea.

tru2012-03-0119-48-24-15.jpg

Dropping the drawbridge. It's a wonder that these old mechanisms still work after being submerged for so long, although they are powered by magic so I guess that explains it.

tru2012-03-0119-51-26-75.jpg

Oh, it's her again. At least she's making herself useful for a change.

tru2012-03-0120-02-25-59.jpg]

You want a piece of me?! Do you not see the mangled corpses of all your friends?! Come on then!

tru2012-03-0120-03-28-37.jpg

Mummy!

tru2012-03-0120-03-41-89.jpg

GRAARRRRGGHHHH, BRAINS!!!!!!!!

tru2012-03-0120-04-05-75.jpg

oh well, it's for the best. The last thing I need while I'm trying to take over the world is a zombiepocalypse.

tru2012-03-0120-04-25-36.jpg

I really really hate you.

tru2012-03-0120-05-19-34.jpg

Well, we'll just see about that!

tru2012-03-0120-05-24-09.jpg

Stomp!

tru2012-03-0120-05-28-88.jpg

Bang bang bang!

tru2012-03-0120-05-29-71.jpg

WHOOSH!

tru2012-03-0120-05-37-17.jpg

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

tru2012-03-0120-05-40-68.jpg

Amanda?!

tru2012-03-0120-05-54-87.jpg

You saved me! <3 <3 <3 ^.^

tru2012-03-0120-06-07-16.jpg

You're going to fight off all those giant monsters on your own?

tru2012-03-0120-06-13-25.jpg

Oooh. Hmm. You're pretty powerful. I must remember to arrange a little "accident" for you once I take over the world. Can't have people who aren't me running around having magical powers.

THAILAND CONTINUED.

I stopped at the Kali statue. I always have a hard time jumping off that pole in the socket (the one you put in). I certainly don't remember the camera being as buggy. Is it my imagination, for does it get buggy when you increase the difficulty? I wonder if they do it on purpose?

There were more lizards than I remembered too. Certainly killed any desire I ever had to own an iguana. At some point, my dual pistols made the put-put sound you get with the spear gun.

I hate getting the lenses for the Kali statue, but the soundtrack is great! I hate that part, where you are getting the lenses. You have to slip over the edge and use your hands to go the the left side because the pillar prevents you from getting there...and just then two iguanas ambush you...and it isn't like you have a lot of room to move anyway. However, I made them eat sticky grenade!

I didn't get as lost in that area. Got a little lost in the area with the tigers. The tigers used to seem playful, but not anymore. I backtracked because I did get lost. I had to reload.

I remember the first time how difficult that one jump was where you have to land on that small outcropping of rocks on the side before jumping to the sticky out thingy. It didn't even look like an area where you could stand. I think I almost quit playing the game at that point.

I am doing better with the jumps in the sticky out thingy areas. Don't you just love my vocabulary? I'm sure Stella would just love me to make a walkthrough for her. ;)

I hated the parts before, but I do love the Kali statue puzzle.

One thing that always vexes me, though, with most TR games--why is save and load next to each other, and why do they look the same? I almost loaded when I wanted to save.

Next mystery--why was I smelling chocolate chip cookies while in this area? Oh! Mom was baking them!

I was proud the first time because I was able solve the Kali statue by myself. Still not good at going down into that area where you pull down the snake statue.

Lara's father...now I know where Lara gets her insanity. Let's face it--the whole Croft family is nuts.

Another area that always gives me a headache--the area where you have to jump to the ring that is over water--and then backflip to the ledge. I quit. When I started up again, I was upset to find out I had to move that stupid platform again to reach the exit door.

I did discover something neat in the headache area--spiders can't swim. I jumped into the pull, and they went after me. They drowned--and they made little "oh,no" noises when they did. FINALLY I make that jump, and do they have a save point? Well, yes, they do once you jump on the pole--but I would have preferred it after landing on the ledge. What if I had fallen into the water during one of the jumps?

Got turned around somehow while going through underwater exit and wound up where I started. I got worried when I saw the closed door and thought I had activated the bug. However, I just had to pull the knob.

I was trying to swim faster. I always get the swim faster button confused with the throw a grenade button--and I did this twice within a few seconds! I felt like a dope!

PROTECTED BY THE DEAD

I really didn't care for Beneath the Ashes, but I do like this level.

Now, Zip, what is an English manor without a few hidden passages with festering dead bodies? I don't doubt there is a torture chamber somewhere too. I am certain it is a requirement when you get knighted or made a lord or whatever.

Normally, shooting spiders seems like a waste of ammo when my boots do just as good of a job. However, there were more spiders in the crypt...and they were more aggressive. I kept expecting to see Aragog pop out somewhere...oh, wait....wrong story.

So, the batteries in the tape recorder are still good after all this time...but the gloves run out of juice quickly. Oh, well, they are older technology and probably not made in Japan.

Accidentally used a health pack when trying to turn on my boob light. Dang big fingers and small D-pad!

I wonder if Lara's dad was good about telling her where the will was? I would have wanted a little bit more warning--like before I entered the crypt at all--that there were thralls running around down there.

Unless white people look the same to other races, I cannot figure out how Zip could have confused Lara with the doppelganger. Of course, I thought it was Lara the first time blowing up her house. However, I just thought Eidos gave her a new look. But really--doppel seems like a bigger girl, has redder hair, longer hair, different color eyes, deeper voice (actually, you only realize this if you get to play Lara's Shadow), paler skin--and I realized this time around, she is even wearing a different outfit!

I think my painting looks a little different from Eldin's:

http://twitpic.com/8s6a2o

Sorry that my pictures are more grainy in appearance I'm taking them with a camcorder off my TV. Also pardon me that I don't take many of them. I don't know if you guys always know what I'm talking about, and maybe pictures would help. I love seeing your guys pictures, but it does take a while for my screen to load them all...so I don't like putting on many myself. Besides, it is rather disruptive when you are playing on an Xbox. Most of you are playing on PC, right?

Once the house exploded, my boob light stopped working!

I was so upset when Alister got killed. I liked Alister...and I always pictured him and Lara getting together eventually.

I stopped at Southern Mexico. One problem with not collecting artifacts, I found out, is that I don't get my sexy swimsuits. Oh, well. They aren't practical to wear anyway.

Jessica- I totally still love killing things, like people, but I dunno...tigers and mythological sea beasts are my soft spot. Actually, I think I'm a little quicker to kill in the PS1 games because the graphics are... less than realistic. xD

I also feel bad for not taking screenshots, but they wouldn't look pretty like the ones on PC. :(

~Croft Manor~

Why EVEN is there so much space underneath that house? Lara even lives on ruins. I don't know why we only just found out about them. Wouldn't you think that Lara would have set up her bedroom down there? xD It took her all those years to find her dad's study, that tape recorder, and the thralls... (which have been running around in her basement.) She probably knew all that was down there, but just didn't bother looking until now. I couldn't have resisted. My friend lives in a very old house with a cellar and sealed doors, and she hasn't so much as went down there once. I did once, when she first moved in... it was insanely cool. And oddly enough, my camcorder (with a previously full battery) decided to die right as I descended. Anyway, why are there candles burning down there in Lara's basement? Even if they're the battery operated kind, they would be long since out. All good questions.

I love how the wall in Richard's study leads right into the hallway. I would have definitely taken that route instead of going through all that.

Why did Richard risk the lives of 6 explorers just to box up the thralls?! Just leave them be, it's not like he could get close enough to study them. D:

~Above ground~

"Honestly, guys, I can't go excavate my own basement without you burning down my home. What happened, Zip? Did your rotisserie chicken catch on fire while you were taking a nap? Oh, Alister's going to be positively flipping his lid if any of his books get burned."

I was pretty nerve wracked the first time I played this level. After all the times where I got to hop around in Croft Manor and lock Winston in the freezer, or find hidden secrets and basically wreck the place, it was all burning to the ground.

But nothing could have prepared me for when Doppy shot Alister. I was at my friend's house when I first played this level, so I could scream "NOOOooooOOOoOoooOooooo!!!" as loud as I wanted, and she didn't think I was crazy. I have been a hardcore Larister shipper from day one of Legend. I was a little surprised that the makers actually killed him off. Twas a heartbreaking moment in the world of gaming...or at least my world of gaming, anyway.

Welp, onto Southern Mexico!

~End~

Edited by CaityFM

• 2 weeks later...

SOUTHERN MEXICO

I always get confused at the first temple because I forget how to get up to the window. Normally, I always have Stella's walkthrough handy--but this time I'm playing to see how good my memory is since I'm not going after artifacts. I really have a problem swinging to the door to get the jaguar head.

Then it was off to the second temple. Growling and dead bodies is always a good sign. :P I swore while I was driving the motorcycle, I heard Lara's falling scream--but she wasn't falling. This game is very buggy on the more complicated settings.

I am also no better at going into that pit which you uncover by shoving the block off the pillar. I always die at least once, and usually several times. I never realized how ugly the skull head was--but the def seems better on the more complicated levels.

I never tried killing things by running over them with the bicycle. AWESOME! And why didn't it ever occur to me that motorcycle would beat blank panther? DUH!

I will always remember the place where you put the skull on the handle to turn that wheel track to make the second row of statues stand up. The first time I played this game, I was playing this part in the morning right before my Physical Science class in college. I was trying to complete it--but I had already been playing so long, and I was getting a headache. I was having a hard time getting through the door--you know, you have to jump from the pole and get through the door before it closes. My eye started twitching, and yet I couldn't stop. I just had to get through that door. It was a bad idea to give myself a headache, for I had a final that day--and yet I did very well on the test. Maybe it stimulated my brain cells or something.

I can only do the timed run on the jaguar head side, not the skull side--and I always do the skull side second. Therefore, I never make the timed run the first time round. The music is very dramatic and makes my pulse race. My mom could only do the timed run when she muted it because the music made her so nervous.

I don't remember the spiders having death groans. I also don't remember them jumping and attacking like Bruce Lee.

The fire room--summed up in one word: ARGH! I always have a hard time seeing where I'm supposed to go.

I also have a hard time jumping to the last short pole with the skeletons so I can go to the blade room. This time, my duck button wasn't working--it was like the game was still partially in a cutscene when I had to duck.

I had a weird spider moment. I noticed the dead spider floating in mid-air, so I went to capture it with the camcorder. However, I triggered three other spiders to attack me. One of the living spiders started this crazy jumping, as if he was trying to pull down his friend...or maybe he was also trying to do the "stiff as a board, light as a feather" thing. I shot him, and he still kept jumping. The only thing that happened when he "died" is that he did the death groan and the red target circle disappeared. But he was jumping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfJd7PWMBMw

The motorcycle seemed more sluggish.

I hate getting Thor's belt. I always forget what I'm supposed to do. I should have had Stella's walkthrough handy for this part. :/ The crumbling ledges are always hard for me. I'm trying to remember where to go, and so I usually fall at least once into the Eitr. I thought Thor looked like he was sleeping: http://twitpic.com/8vymwa

I think the thralls remind me of the ghosts in Garfield's Halloween special. What do you think? http://twitpic.com/8vyvli Garfield's ghosts freaked me out! I'm doing better with the thralls. I noticed that they always attack the same way. Of course, these aren't the spitting ones.

When I grappled the ring to swing to the other side, I forgot to go up a bit and swung right into the pool. Then I got all the way to the bottom, turned that screw thing, and couldn't figure out why Thor's shield was blocking me from reaching the steps. I had forgotten to grapple it away. So I had to redo the section--and I had a hard time figuring out how to get back up there. I realized I had to grapple one of he snake's mouths to do it. While going to the area where I could grapple the arm with the shield, I caught two thralls checking out Lara's butt. http://twitpic.com/8vylol There must be some Viagra in that blue poisonous goo.

Next will be Jan Mayen island--which I think, if memory serves, is my favorite level (aside from boat levels). I started it and a freaky thing happened--Lara totally disappeared! I wish I had caught it on camcorder, but I was irritated and didn't think to. Maybe I'll see if can make her disappear again. I think I did it by running her over the light that comes out of the floor when you move that first part of the pillar.

• 2 months later...

I recently restarted playing Underworld and was planning to get back to it today. Now that i found this thread I'll have to post updates. I'll need to see how much I remember from my initial journey thru it.

I am just past the Kali statue now .

I just noticed the last post before me was two months ago. I'm guessing everyone has already finished it by now.

I got sidetracked with other stuff (typical Stella ;) ) but I'll probably be picking up the game on and off. I'm monitoring the thread and I'll bet others are too. So go ahead and post. I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Well I got thru Thailand and Croft Manor (the crypt) and just about thru the first half of Southern Mexico. Once again *sigh* I died while racing to the entrance to the next level in the ball court at the end of Xibalba. I got stuck since I forgot to do a manual save thanks to the bug again (ugh). So instead of going thru it all,again, I will get the downloadable save at Stella's site (thanks again Stella) to go to the next level.

Edited by Hardkore

I am now at the 1st part of level 7 ,Helheim at the Arctic Sea.

Just before that before getting Mjolnir in Valhalla I wanted to go back to get the relic. I kept thinking you would have to make your way back thru the swinging hammer room to get out. I forgot that the game just jumps forward taking you to Amanda's ship where you talk to Natla. Maybe I'll just play it again soon and remember.

OK, I just saw the notes on Treasure Hunt mode so I'll be using that when I finish.

http://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TR8walk/rewards.html#replay

Edited by Hardkore