Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

What is the point of Kurtis in AoD?

Cliffy

Originally posted by, polishmadman

I mean hes cool and all, with his bike n stuff but why? why does he rain on lara's parade. He cant do much and theres only 3 levels with him. I'd just like to hear your views bout this topic.

thnkz a million

screamer: well he wanted to take revenge on the one that killed his father.

Acid_Rush: Plot-wise, Kurtis is there to add an element of mystery to the game since it's not clear straight away whose side he is on. He also ties Eckhardt in with the Lux Veritatis rather than having the same cult that imprisoned him be nothing more than a name in a book, and shows that the Cabal's activities had further reaching consequences than just the Monstrum thing in Paris and Prague. Also, he's a love interest for Lara, helping to make her a little more human along with all the other aspects they added to Lara to make her less of an impossible heroine. Not only that, but without Kurtis' levels we couldn't have seen half of the plot, since Lara wasn't there. He extends the plot for the player, makes it bigger, more complex and thus more realistic.

Gameplay-wise, he was there as part of Core's ambition to create a TR that was more 'next generation' than just in graphics and console platform. He was TR's first second playable character, he bought a whole new set of skills that it wasn't believable to give to Lara (or would have had the game been finished and he'd got the full repertoire he was meant to) and he was the eye-candy that the girls hadn't had before, whereas the guys had always had Lara.

He was originally supposed to have more than just three levels - I suspect you probably had to play his little sub-adventure that sees him getting captured after he attempts to get the third Shard, among other things.

Kramer: I saw the title of this topic and already was writing my reply mentally. Then I scroll down to the end and see that Acid already wrote everything I wanted to put Thanks a lot, that is exactly my view of Kurtis and his role in AOD. I hope that one day there will be a stand alone game of Kurtis the Lux Veritatis warrior. It would be bit of a mixture of Max Payne, Tomb Raider and any horror survival game

Acid_Rush: No problem whatsoever. We seem to think alike.

I'd love a Kurtis game. Maybe Lara could make a guest appearance in a level or two.

Lora121389: Yep, I agree.

I saw once they are maybe going to make a Kurtis Trent game.

I'd buy it in a sec!

The game would probably be sold out in a day

Angel_Trent: Eidos will never permit to put lara there. :(

larapistols: I think the the person hoe made the game whanted a new person in the game. Not just Lara. And that was a bad thing to do for the game Kurtis can't use the that thing on his hip. Why didn't they let you have it in the game. I think Kurtis didn't have to be in the game

Acid_Rush: The thing on the his hip is called the chirugai (or glaive according to some sources) and originally he was supposed to be able to use it, but AOD wasn't finished so a lot of Kurtis and Lara's planned moves weren't included. And I've already explained my views on why he *should* have been in it.

Kramer:

Eidos will never permit to put lara there.
Just Kurtis is enough, uh? ;)

Acid_Rush: Oh, yes, Kurtis is *plenty* enough for me...

lara pistolsOoo so that why I can't use chirugai. Thanks for telling me!!! Acid_Rush. If thay won't make Kutris in tomb raider AOD then eat gun powder :huh::huh::huh: just kiding hehe

Legend Raider: I doubt that after AOD?s flop they would make a new Kurtis game. When I think everything AOD could have been if they only finished it... darn.

larapistols: I think Kurtis was a one time thing

Angel_Trent: Nah....Kurtis woulde make a cool game.Just like Shade

larapistols: Ya he could. To bad you can't play as Lara and Kurtis at the same time

Kramer: It was meant to be like that in AOD The original idea was to get Lara and Kurtis to go together through the sanatorium. Lara would do the jumping and climbing, while Kurtis would open doors, find codes and kill zombies with his chirugai. The player could flick between the characters to proceed through the area.

Angel_Trent:

It was meant to be like that in AOD The original idea was to get Lara and Kurtis to go together through the sanatorium. Lara would do the jumping and climbing, while Kurtis would open doors, find codes and kill zombies with his chirugai. The player could flick between the characters to proceed through the area.
Where did all this came from?

Kramer: ^^

A guy from Eidos told it at tombraiderchronicles.com, while ago

Acid_Rush: That would've been so much fun, it worked really well in Lego Star Wars.

larapistols: Did you now about Lego star wars 2 go here and she for yourself http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?si...&pid=931976

• 1 year later...

why was he in the game? think. he is mysterious and dark and he adds such an awesome element to the game. He's part of an ancient order of people who kicked a**, his dad kicked butt, and he kicks butt. He's got hereditary butt kicking abilities. He can use a chirugai :wub: , he's called demon hunter, he's covered in holsters and straps, he's everyones dream man :wub2: (Unless you're so much a lara fan you'd rather have a man who'd sit down and cry if you looked at him wrong). And who doesn't love revenge? (You keel my fada) He also has the gift of foresight and he can bust open doors with whooshiness from his hands. I'm sure women love him just for his plain wooshiness :biggrin2: . Anyway, without a dude so cool in the game, players would never be able to see an element of sensuality so great. she's coy and flirtatious and frankly I envy her (this is kurtis trent we're talking about, who wouldn't?). The most powerful example of this sensuality and sense of competition is when she encounters him in the louvre and he disarms her *slowly* (yeah kurtis) :woho: and then when he runs away she goes after him determinedly (yeah lara). :angry2:

Edited by BPanther
Language

I think Core had plans for a game with him if the character took off and he was a part of the storyline in Angel of Darkness and assumed dead with a bit of mystery.

When Core Design lost the franchise to Tomb Raider all those ideas went with them when Crystal started on a new path and design of the game.

I know there are fans out there that would like to see him return and who's to say one day that it might occur... After all Underworld might pursue the afterlife

or the day of the dead and we might see a few characters that have passed on in the new game. I wouldn't get my hopes up though as the character might

be exclusive to the Core Design of old and can't be used due to copyright but who knows. I think fresh ideas is the best path to take and not rehash the past

unless it's absolutely necessary to the story lines integrity otherwise bring on new characters and keep the games nice and fresh!!!

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by, polishmadman

I mean hes cool and all, with his bike n stuff but why? why does he rain on lara's parade. He cant do much and theres only 3 levels with him. I'd just like to hear your views bout this topic.

thnkz a million

i know some people will disagree with me, maybe you guys will though, but I would rather not have kurtis back. I think it was just to add someone in the story that would play a bigger role in AOD part 2 or 3...but since AOD parts 2 and 3 will no longer happen, kurtis has no part in the series anymore....

he didnt do much in AOD so i dont think they really needed him, they could have done away without him.

Kurtis had great potential and I read that they intended to make a seperate game for Kurtis if he received positive feedback, however, since the game was not completed, Kurtis was a bit of a disappointment, and his feedback was... less then positive.

Just another one of the tragedies that resulted from the cataclysm of AOD.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

it is funny to see the kurtis trent fanclub is still alife and kicking, even though kurtis did not aprear in any game after AOD, at all. :lol:

so the point of kurtis in TR? there is, i think, no point at all. he plays a role in the game and you get to play as him, but at the end he dies. also i did not like playing the caracter since he was too heavy and could not make those feather light jumps that lara makes. if there is some special move or jump he could do in the game then i never found or know how to use it. and stopping bullets? hubblewhat? i am, for one, glad that he did not return in TR (sorry girl fans).