Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Last Revelation Group Play

Stellalune

Hey, everybody. It's been a while since I posted here, but recently CaityFM reminded me of the fun we had doing group plays a few years ago and suggested we do another one. I happen to be replaying The Last Revelation at the moment, so I'm hoping some of you will want to play along.

If you haven't done this before, you can check out some of the past group play threads here on the TR Legacy forum. It's more like parallel play than actual co-op, but it can be a fun way to share nostalgia about a classic game—or introduce friends to something they haven't played before.

So, how do we do this group play thing? There's no right or wrong way. Just fire up the game, play through at your own pace, and post about your progress, impressions, cool or funny things that happened, etc., in this thread. Include screenshots or video if you like. Share as much or as little as you like. Also, read/comment on what other players have posted.

If you like, you can set challenges for yourself. Then share your proud achievements—all secrets, no medipacks, fast completion time, slowest-ever completion time (that's me!), etc.

If this is your first time through TR4, please let the rest of us know. We'll try and keep spoilers to a minimum, and we'll gladly offer help if you need it. Likewise, if anyone needs help finding or installing the game, just ask.

The only firm guidelines we have are to be courteous, follow the forum rules, and HAVE FUN!

TR4-box.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably play more slowly than most of you, since I'm also going to be using this as an opportunity to revise my TR4 walkthrough.

My original TR4 walkthrough is at http://tombraiders.net/stella/tomb4.html. The rough draft of the revision in progress is at http://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TR4revised/level-select.html. Please pardon any errors, typos, and broken links, as I'm still working on proofreading, adding tips other players have sent in, etc. And of course, feel free to correct/contribute.

18 minutes ago, ColouredCascade said:

Still me and my older sister's favourite TR scene of all time... 

IMG_20180401_192836_20180401192911113.jpg

I'm the sister! Will join all of you a bit later today. Will be gunning for all the secrets this time around.

Edited by Lara_Croft
typo

I love the backpack scene too! Welcome to both of you! Thanks for joining in. :)

I played the training levels a while ago, before deciding to start this thread. Since I first posted my walkthrough many years ago, several people have emailed describing how to get all the secrets and still take the easier route in Race for the Iris. I finally decided to try it and it's super easy. Just have to remember to do it.

Spoiler

Follow Von Croy to the open area with the 8th golden skull but don't pick it up yet. Approach him where he's standing by the door and trigger the cutscene where he talks about the path of the virtuous/heretical. Since you won't have found all the skulls yet, he'll open up the easy route. Then just pick up the skull before continuing and you're good to go. So simple. Don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

[BTW, If you're new to LCO and haven't used a similar post editor, you can easily add spoiler text by clicking the eyeball icon in the menu bar above the post window. ^^]

So first of all, hello everyone! I found this group play thing posted by Stella on FB and decided to join in.
So here's how I am thinking of doing it. I'm thinking of doing a no-pistols run for The Last Revelation. Here's what I am thinking of doing, after the training levels. I have considered editing the save file, to give Lara all the weapons in the game. But without any unlimited ammo. In fact, I would like to give myself a challenge. So instead, I'm going to try to keep ammo, so it doesn't get too easy. Naturally, I will go for ammo pickups, to stock up on ammo for certain enemies/bosses. But it's to try and not having the game being too easy for me. And to make things harder, I also intend to avoid any health pickups. Kind of like, for those of you who know, some of the Metal Gear Solid games on the Extreme difficulty, where you only get one health item for the whole game.

I'll be trying to check everyone's progress on their own runs in here and post my own. Have fun!

Sem Título.jpg

Edited by Bl4deMast3r

Awesome! Welcome, Lauren3101 and Bl4deMast3r! Glad to have you on board.

If anyone wants to play with the widescreen patch, you can download it here: http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/widescreen.html If you need help installing it, just give a shout. :)

And here's some info about setting up the slightly temperamental Steam version: http://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/controls/TR4-steam-setup.html

13 minutes ago, Lauren3101 said:

This works pretty well for me as I've just completed 1, 2 and 3 again recently. Going to try for a no medi-pack run, I managed it on TR2 but failed miserably on TR3 lol. 

Yeah, I find Tomb Raider 3 a bit of a difficult game to do a no medi-pack run on. But it's not impossible. It's sort of easy in The Last Revelation here. Though personally I had to do a lot of trial and error when finishing the Citadel Gate level after getting the Nitrous Oxide Canister, due to the locusts.
Good luck!

10 minutes ago, Bl4deMast3r said:

Yeah, I find Tomb Raider 3 a bit of a difficult game to do a no medi-pack run on. But it's not impossible. It's sort of easy in The Last Revelation here. Though personally I had to do a lot of trial and error when finishing the Citadel Gate level after getting the Nitrous Oxide Canister, due to the locusts.
Good luck!

Yes TR3 was much harder; the enemies were smarter, and then there's that swim through the ice cold water in Antarctica, I just couldn't do it without using a pack or two. I forgot about the locusts - I guess on the plus side for TRLR you can  walk back and forth into levels a lot so you can refresh your health that way haha. 

Stella, unfortunately no PC for me, still got my original PS2! Thinking that may have to change soon with all the fan remakes of the original TRs in progress though. :)

So, I just finished the tutorial levels. And wanted to post this quick update, here.

This is how I'm gonna be starting, inventory-wise. The flares and and medi-packs are left untouched. As sad as it is (for obvious reasons), I took Lara's pistols out of the inventory, added the other guns and gave them that starting ammo.

Here I go, with these conditions!

PS: The savegame editor, if you want to use it for something, was downloaded from Stella's website. Thought I should mention the source!

Capturar.JPG

Sem Título.jpg

Edited by Bl4deMast3r
Forgot to credit the source of the savegame editor

5 minutes ago, Lauren3101 said:

Yes TR3 was much harder; the enemies were smarter, and then there's that swim through the ice cold water in Antarctica, I just couldn't do it without using a pack or two. I forgot about the locusts - I guess on the plus side for TRLR you can  walk back and forth into levels a lot so you can refresh your health that way haha. 

Stella, unfortunately no PC for me, still got my original PS2! Thinking that may have to change soon with all the fan remakes of the original TRs in progress though. :)

That's true. Problem was, I was pretty much already done with the level and had no other exit except for the one you use when you first enter the level. So I had to deal with those pesky locusts and pass by the dragon-like creature either way. XD

Edited by Bl4deMast3r

1 hour ago, Rapierman said:

Okay, Stella, here's your target:  17 hours.  That's how long it took me when I played this game a long time ago.  I don't think it'll operate on Windows 10.

Haha! I don't think that's ever going to happen, since I spend at least a couple hours on each level and there are, what, 35 of them? Granted, the game doesn't count every minute since I tend to reload and replay, reload and replay, etc. So far I've done an extensive re-write and added about 700 screenshots from the beginning to the Sacred Lake first visit. FWIW, I'm playing the GOG version on Windows 10 with the widescreen patch and it's been going well so far. :D

HELLO FRIENDS!

I'm so excited to jump into this, oh my god. Ok. Before I make my first official official entry, I have something to confess. I've never beaten TLR. I've played bits and pieces, but have never gotten more than halfway through. I do love the look of this game, which is why it was my suggestion. The colors and settings really appeal to me, and 10 or so years ago when I first played the tutorial, it left a lasting impression that I still haven't forgotten of a young, sassy, pigtailed Lara. I'm so nostalgic about it. 

I will be playing on PC for the first time. I have always previously fired up the ol' PS2, but it's just so much easier to pay the $.97 (WOO, SALES!) and play it on my laptop like I do every other game these days. It will definitely be an experience.

Lets goooooooo!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, CaityFM said:

HELLO FRIENDS!

I'm so excited to jump into this, oh my god. Ok. Before I make my first official official entry, I have something to confess. I've never beaten TLR. I've played bits and pieces, but have never gotten more than halfway through. I do love the look of this game, which is why it was my suggestion. The colors and settings really appeal to me, and 10 or so years ago when I first played the tutorial, it left a lasting impression that I still haven't forgotten of a young, sassy, pigtailed Lara. I'm so nostalgic about it. 

I will be playing on PC for the first time. I have always previously fired up the ol' PS2, but it's just so much easier to pay the $.97 (WOO, SALES!) and play it on my laptop like I do every other game these days. It will definitely be an experience.

Lets goooooooo!!!!!!!

Same here, I always watched my sister play it, that was how we bonded. This time, I am going for the full run! Woohoo!

Okay guys, hey!

So I finally got my copy of Tomb Raider 4 working ? ran into some emulation issues as I no longer have my beloved PS2 to run it on. But alas popped the disc in my Mac and set up an emulator and here we are.

This is my first time doing a group play so i’m not sure what to expect. But i’m Really excited to have another go at this game. It’s been a while since I’ve played it seriously

Goid luck to everyone. And cannot wait to chat about TRLR

Yay! So excited to see people joining in. :D I'm a bit pressed for time this week, so I'm not sure how much progress I'll make, but I will at least try and post some impressions from the levels I've finished before starting the group.

As far as the walkthrough update goes, it's a bit mortifying to read through the old version and compare it to some of my more recent projects, like TR 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. But I'm working on it. I've added about 700 screenshots so far and I'm only up to the Karnak levels. I've also decided to break out the second and subsequent visits to various levels so the walkthrough is more linear. So, for example, there will be separate pages for Temple Karnak (1st visit), Great Hypostyle Hall (1st visit), Sacred Lake (1st visit), Karnak (2nd visit), Hypostyle (2nd visit), etc., and the same in the later levels. Some of those pages will turn out to be very short, but hopefully the sequence will be easier to follow.

I also want to add an overview page for each of those, similar to the one I have now for Cairo. It can be really confusing if you come to a locked door or artifact receptacle only to realize you've missed the key or artifact. Goals! ;)