Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Large Area in Hidden City Inaccessible

EmbodiedBook

I am well into the game (just finishing the Rebellion Lives Mission and moving into the next map region), but there is a large area in the Hidden City I haven’t been able to access. I wanted to take a break from the main missions to explore Tomb challenges and crypts I hadn’t come across naturally in the game. Which I thought was the key features of this franchise. 

However, I have spent hours trying to gain access to an area in the Hidden City region, where there are active crypts, tombs and challenges marked on my map. I’ve tried approaching the area from every conceivable direction, and I’m just about at my wit’s end. I’ve tried going through the abandoned village, tried going into areas only accessible by underwater tunnels. I’ve run around like an idiot just trying to find the way in.

The area I’m speaking of has an Albino Capybara hunting area at its center. South of that is an unnamed Challenge Tomb, and south of that is a crypt and 1 of 4 Speak of the Dead crypt secrets. From what I can tell online, there are base camps within that area that I have not yet discovered (it looks like one may be the Wild Jungle base camp), but if I can’t access the area, then how am I supposed to discovered the camps. It’s gotten to a point where it’s ruining for me what would otherwise be a fantastic game.

I don’t remember ROTR or its predecessor making this kind of navigation quite so difficult. More often than not, those games had built-in quests that naturally placed the player into those areas. I’ve run around the HC talking to all the villagers at least twice, and no dialogue has triggered a quest or offered a hint into the area. I don’t mind hard challenges, but this is ridiculous. In fact, anytime a game starts to feel like work (the exact opposite of what games—of any kind—are meant to do), then everything that’s good about it (and there’s a lot of good here) is instantly erased.

For the love of Mike, can someone please tell me how to access this area? And if you have a minute, please try to be as specific as possible. 

Cheers!

I got into that area quite early on in the Hidden City bit of the game and hunted those capybara before the local told me about them.  My gaming approach tends to be to do absolutely everything possible before the main storyline tasks, bit like your description; I do not recall it being very hard to find the entrance to that area and am fairly sure I found it before I did any storyline objectives.  I don't have the game in front of me at present but it's a fairly easy path from a point on the city side through a tunnel to the capybara side; head to the west of the city, maybe two-thirds of the way up on the map, somewhere there, there might be a small amount of climbing but I don't actually think so.  Also, Stella has explained another aspect of this area so later in the game you arrive there naturally anyway, it seems.

48 minutes ago, Big Tyler 08 said:

If I remember right, the albino area is blocked untill a side mission I believe (think the retrieve amulet, could be wrong).  alot of areas in paititi are mostly side mission locked.

Yeah, I have completed the amulet retrieval side mission, which is why this is so frustrating. I didn’t think I had undertaken a quest in that area, but if you’re right, I must have. Although, you’d think I would have come across one of the two base camps in that area.  Regardless, finding this stupid access point has turned into my bete noire. At this point, I’m blaming myself and not the game. Which means I’m like Jim Carey in “Liar, Liar,” who kicks his own a*s.

12 minutes ago, SpirantCrayon22 said:

I got into that area quite early on in the Hidden City bit of the game and hunted those capybara before the local told me about them.  My gaming approach tends to be to do absolutely everything possible before the main storyline tasks, bit like your description; I do not recall it being very hard to find the entrance to that area and am fairly sure I found it before I did any storyline objectives.  I don't have the game in front of me at present but it's a fairly easy path from a point on the city side through a tunnel to the capybara side; head to the west of the city, maybe two-thirds of the way up on the map, somewhere there, there might be a small amount of climbing but I don't actually think so.  Also, Stella has explained another aspect of this area so later in the game you arrive there naturally anyway, it seems.

I know. Apparently this is just me being the biggest idiot walking Based on what you and someone else pointed out, I’ve been searching the fishing village just outside the market. I’ve searched the area around the waterfall by the Fishing Village base camp as can’t find the access point people have mentioned. I found a small pool of water nearby that has an underwater tunnel, but I can’t squeeze through from the HC side. There’s a cave high above this, but that doesn’t look right to me. I have an IQ above room tempature and am generally pretty good at this game, but this stupid thing is kicking my behind. Or, more accurately, I’m doing that to myself. Regardless, I’m just about ready to give up—if for no other reason than to save some shred of dignity.

I'm in the hidden city right now, I'll see if I can remember how to get there.  I'll update in a few

UPDATE:  In the side of the city next to the albino area, there is a small pool of water alongside the cliff wall. By that small pool is a NPC leaning against the wall. Next to him is a feather headress decorated cave that leads right to the albino area.

Edited by Big Tyler 08

9 minutes ago, Big Tyler 08 said:

I'm in the hidden city right now, I'll see if I can remember how to get there.  I'll update in a few

UPDATE:  In the side of the city next to the albino area, there is a small pool of water alongside the cliff wall. By that small pool is a NPC leaning against the wall. Next to him is a feather headress decorated cave that leads right to the albino area.

Awesome! I’ve backtracked to the Temple of KUKULKAN to do the Tomb and a couple of side quests rushed past while helping the queen escape. I’ll head there once I’m done, but let me ask: when you say the side of the city next to the albino area, are you talked no about the fishing village?

5 hours ago, Big Tyler 08 said:

the pool of water is directly west(slightly north) from the market area.

look at the two merchant icons on map and look west, will see a pool of water right next to a solid jet black "L" shaped building on map

Finally!!! Thanks everyone. I remembered that first part of the climb from the HC, but somehow never went through the low passage at the top. It might have been that I went ahead and did the high swan dive towards that challenge, and for some reason never climbed back up. Or it could have been that I hadn’t yet learned to make that hanging jump at the very top. Finally made though, so thanks. (And man, that Warrior’s Trial Tomb was no joke.) BTW: I found the crypt in that area, but there’s still an active marker close by for the Speak  F the Dead challenge (“3 of 4 secret crypts discovered.”). Did I miss something or is it just a bug? There’s not a lot of navigatible area in there, and I’ve been over every inch.