Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

Playing on PC with keyboard and mouse.

I'm trying to get to Unarutu's cell and have been refused permission to use the bridge so I have to climb along a rock wall face to get there.  When I get to the end of the wall and rappel down and swing while running along wall, I need to jump to a rocky wall section located across a fast moving river.  I have been trying to make that jump for over an hour now and can't get the right direction.  I've jumped right, I've jumped up, but no luck.  Lara doesn't even throw her pickax-rope tool at the cliff she needs to get to.  I've see video guides where she makes it, but I must be doing something wrong. 

Any help is appreciated.

Jump Problem.JPG

I play on console so may be moot but, I noticed if I wasn't holding joystick purely in (that case) to the right, Lara wouldn't make a jump. My thumb would drift camera upward and Lara would fudge the jump.   But that doesn't seem to be your case since a keyboard key doesn't move like a joystick. 

I've seen alot of people have trouble with alot of the jumps in this area of hidden city.  Another member was having problems with a jump on this section that Lara kept fudge-ing up and Stella offered to use his save file to get past the jump for him.

So maybe Stella can help :)

Getting her to jump is not my issue, she jumps, but seems to be facing the wrong way.  Therefore, she won't throw het rope-pick at the target location.  It may be that the camera is forced during the move, affecting the angle.  Some folks have suggested that she may have to move diagonally, something a keyboard doesn't do well because the keys have to be pressed together while both jumping AND throwing the rope-ax!

Since the direction of a jump is a function of the point of view and the movement command keys, I would like to know (1) where should Lara be facing and (2) which direction she must jump.

If i remember when I made the jump, once I had max momentum running towards the axe wall, and I let go of the wall run, I think I kept holding/pushing right. Don't have game in front of me at the moment to re climb that area 😕   

As I said originally, I've jumped right (aimed at the wall), I've jumped straight (turning camera with mouse to look at wall), I've jumped both of those without touching the mouse (in case camera repositioning messed things up).  I've even tried the 2-key diagonal jump.  All met with the same fall-to the-rocks disaster.

I'm pretty sure the on-line demo I saw of this jump was made from a console play through.  That's why I'm wondering what the aim & jump points are for a keyboard/mouse.

that I am not to sure on, as I play on console.  But i know someone else wil be helluva lot more help then me on this lol.

But till then I hope you get it solved/make the jump :)

I play on PC but use a controller. I just tried it several times with keyboard and mouse to see if I could figure out why it wasn't working. When I tried adjusting the camera angle while Lara was hanging from the cable, sometimes it had no effect, but sometimes she'd jump just to the right of the handhold she's supposed to grab. But whenever I let go of the mouse immediately after starting the descent on the cable (i.e., did not change the camera angle at all before starting the wall run) it worked fine. To do the wall run, I held A until she ran all the way to the left, then released it and held D until she ran all the way to the right, then released D and pressed and held Space until she grabbed the handhold. It worked consistently about 6 times in a row. I didn't keep testing after that.

I have heard from quite a few people who have struggled with this jump and the one after where you rappel down until Lara is hanging in mid-air, swing back and forth, then jump forward onto the sloping rock. I'm still not sure why the game malfunctions for some but not others. In Anniversary there was a seemingly unrelated graphics setting that would prevent Lara from making long lateral jump-and-grab maneuvers. So maybe this is some similar undiscovered bug.

I know this doesn't solve the underlying issue, but if you want to send me your save file (or post it here), I will be glad to play through to the next checkpoint and send it back to you.

EDIT: Just saw your reply to the other person's post about this. Glad you made it and sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner. :)

Edited by Stellalune
added more info

I had difficulty with this one too, and found it was very sensitive to the 'altitude' (for what of a better word). i.e. how long your rope was, and it was essential for the rope to be attached as far to the right as you can go.  When I jumped with too short a rope after pendulum'ing (is that a word?), Lara failed to attach to the surface even if it was otherwise timed perfectly.

SOLVED!

My underlying root cause error was that this jump requires a bit more precision than others with respect to the release point of the jump.  When I delayed my jump to the point where I thought I was actually too late, I was able to do it with keyboard/mouse.  

The advice on positioning and rope length, above, was correct and necessary.  Camera positioning as set up by the game is correct - do not change it.

Thanks everyone for all your help!  Special thanks to Stellalune!