Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum
jkirkman01

About what percentage of survival caches should I see blinking?

TLDR/Summary:

On PC, about what percentage of survival caches should I see blinking? I get around half.

Rambling version:

Running SotTR on PC with a GTX 970 and latest nVidia drivers. Only about 6 of them blinked for me in RotTR, but I had read comments from others that a lot of them didn’t have a visible blink due to lighting conditions/whatever, so it didn’t alarm me and I found them by luck, Stella’s most excellent descriptions, or by finding the backpacks (thanks largely to Stella) and going back and waypointing them.

On my first play through of SotTR, though, exactly zero of them blinked, and I read comments indicating this was not true for everyone. So, whilst starting on my second pass, I found a cache within sight of a campsite, and started changing graphics settings from the main in-game (as opposed to the startup) menu one at a time. Turning on “Lens Flare” got it blinking (what the two have to do with each other is anyone’s guess). But I am still only getting blinking on about half of them. Is this what I should expect, or is more driver settings research needed? Some of the ones that don’t blink are in shaded/dark areas, where I would think it should work (shrug)?

I honestly couldn't tell you a percentage, but I've found that most of the ones in dark places do appear to flash, and in general, most caches appear to flash from a moderate distance but stop flashing as you get closer to them. I have screenshots of most cache locations in my walkthrough, and whenever possible I've tried to screencap while they're flashing, so you're welcome to compare notes with me that way. If you're not seeing them, I wonder if it could be an issue with your video card. Maybe try contacting Square Enix Support or posting on the official TR forums so the Nixxes people might see it.

P.S. Welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks.

I went through a stretch leaving Kuwaq Yaku where almost none of them were displaying, then got to Paititi and did a major sweep of the lower city and almost all of them were, so, shrug?

I'm convinced now after making the change in the graphics settings that I am seeing what other PC players are seeing and am satisfied. I did do spot checks against your screenshots trying to catch one that was blinking for you and not me, but the ones I checked all seemed to agree. A lot of the ones that *are* blinking are like a 3 watt bulb and I actually get the interact graphic to dig them up before i back up and notice the blink, but I guess you already know that 8-).

Also, thanks for uploading the San Juan post-landslide checkpoint--now I can play the game without dreading it quite so much this pass and worrying that this time I might get really stuck. It took me 3 hours over two days to get through that sequence the first time. I'm not sure if I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, or if it was just blind luck that finally got me through the first time...

1 hour ago, jkirkman01 said:

Also, thanks for uploading the San Juan post-landslide checkpoint--now I can play the game without dreading it quite so much this pass and worrying that this time I might get really stuck.

Glad I could help. :) One warning about that: After completing the first DLC pack, The Forge, I forgot to reload an earlier save before moving on with the game, so all of my saves after the Cenote have that DLC done. I plan to replay again before I post a full collection of save files, but if you get to the end of San Juan and haven't already completed The Forge yourself, you're welcome to send me your save, and I'll play through the landslide section for you.