Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tomb Raider on Windows XP

Featured Replies

I installed TR1 today (finally found it after looking forever :woho: ) and installed:

  • Glidos
  • Tomb Raider Installer
  • VDM Sound
  • Tomb Raider

As directed, I typed "dosdrv" into the command line to enable sound in the game. After that, I opened Glidos and ran the game. Fundamentally, the game works. You can move around and it doesn't crash. However, there's no sound at all except for the looping main theme, and a massive Glidos logo that takes up easily 95% of my vision. There's no way the people that made Glidos/VDM Sound wanted me to play the game like this; so what's wrong? I heard that there'd be a Glidos logo, but I'm having a hard time believing it meant that there would be a huge twirling "Glidos" object (yes, object. Lara can collide with it).

I knew setting up DOS games was hard but woah.

Yeah, that Glidos logo is pretty big. I don't recall if Lara crashed into it when I tried it though, I haven't used Glidos for a very long time.

Have you tried using the Advanced Installer? I'd recommend that since it'll configure VDM Sound for you, install and configure dgVoodoo, and make sure you have the correct version of the tomb.exe file. You just have to install VDM Sound first.

  • Author

Yes, that's the "Tomb Raider Installer" I had mentioned above.

:lol:

*pondering the legality of DOS emulators*

:P

There's no legal issues with DOS emulators that I know of. There would be with a PlayStation emulator, because Sony owns the PlayStation bios you need to get it to work, but there are no such problems with DOS.

I'm using DOSBox myself to run TR1 because I have hassles with dgVoodoo that I can't seem to fix. It was a mission to get it to work though, and the game has an annoying habit of hanging during FMV sequences, and it only runs at a very low resolution. If you can get the game to work properly with Glidos or dgVoodoo that would be better.

  • Author
There's no legal issues with DOS emulators that I know of. There would be with a PlayStation emulator, because Sony owns the PlayStation bios you need to get it to work, but there are no such problems with DOS.

I'm using DOSBox myself to run TR1 because I have hassles with dgVoodoo that I can't seem to fix. It was a mission to get it to work though, and the game has an annoying habit of hanging during FMV sequences, and it only runs at a very low resolution. If you can get the game to work properly with Glidos or dgVoodoo that would be better.

Considering that I can't, how can I set up the game to run on DOS Box?

:excl: !!!I'm getting desperate!!! :excl:

I can try to help you out... I don't know how familiar you are with DOS. It might be a bit confusing working with DOSBox if you're never worked in a DOS environment before.

Go to this page, click on DOXBox CVS and download the latest version (I've just downloaded and tried the 6.16.2007 version and it works for me and seems a bit more stable than the version I was using before). Extract the files in the .rar file to a new folder.

If you have a TOMBRAID folder left over from your earlier installation attempts, delete or re-name it, but keep the 853KB 3DFX tomb.exe file that came with the Advanced Installer because you'll be needing that.

Go into the folder you just created with the extracted files in it, and look for a file called dosbox.config. Open it in Notepad and look for a line that says glide=false. Change that line so that it reads glide=true and then save. Double-click dosbox.exe to bring up the DOS window. Type mount c c:\ and press enter. That'll mount your C: drive in DOSbox and allow you to install the game onto the drive. Next type mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl and press enter. That'll mount your CD drive and allow the game to be installed from it (this is assuming that your CD/DVD drive is D:. If it has another letter, change that line to "mount d [whatever your drive letter is]:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl")

post-7-1184704901_thumb.jpg

Next, type d: and press enter. Then type install and press enter. A screen will come up that says TombRaider Setup with options Install and Exit. Use the arrow keys and Enter to select Install. Press enter on the next screen to keep the default installation directory. The next screen is the Sound Card Setup screen. Use the arrow keys to navigate up the list and select No Sound Card. On the next screen, select Sound Blaster Pro, on the screen after that select Port 220, after that select DMA 1, and then IRQ 5. Do NOT select "test" because that might cause the whole thing to hang. Just select Continue and Save Settings. Once the installation is completed and you end up back at the DOS prompt, you'll need to close DOSBox and go into your new TOMBRAID folder on your C: drive and copy the 853KB 3DFX version of tomb.exe into the install folder, replacing the smaller tomb.exe file that was already in there.

Re-open DOSBox. This time instead of typing "mount c c:\", type mount c c:\tombraid. That'll mount your tombraid folder so you won't have to try and navigate through folders in DOSBox (plus it gets rid of that warning that DOSBox gives you when you mount the C: drive). Next mount your CD drive in the same way as before ("mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl"). Type c: and press enter, then type tomb. That'll start the game.

If this works and you find you can run the game, and you only want to use DOSBox for Tomb Raider, you can open the dosbox.conf file and add the lines "mount c c:\tombraid" and below that "mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl" and then save. This'll make DOSBox automatically mount your TOMBRAID folder and CD drive every time you open it, so you only have to type "c:" and then "tomb" every time you want to play. You can get it to go fullscreen by opening the file "OpenGLid.ini" with Notepad and changing "InitFullScreen=0" to "InitFullScreen=1". You can also run Tomb Raider from a virtual drive using DOSBox, by mounting it as your D: drive, which is pretty useful.

P.S. If you can't extract the .rar file that DOSBox comes in, download WinRAR to do it.

  • Author

All is good now, I got the game to run and all the sound effects/FMVs/graphics are displayed as they should (there's an ever so slight lag in sound but as I said, it's /very/ slight, probably from it being a 12-year-old game)

I'm already on City of Vilcabamba (stupid wolves nearly killed me!)

Oh, and

:woho:THANK YOU SHRENSH!!!!! :woho:

You're the sole reason I'm even able to play TR1. :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...


LARA CROFT ONLINE TOMB RAIDER HOME PAGE

© Lara Croft Online All rights reserved. "Serving Tomb Raider Fans Since 2001"

Lara Croft ® and Tomb Raider ™ are trademarks of © CDE Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.