Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Featured Replies

Well, it's been a long time waiting, including the delays and the release dates being pushed back further, but so far, it sure was worth the wait!

Okay, back to gaming!....

Lol, care to tell us your opinion of it so far?

I'm currently installing it, and I think I know why Snake looks so old in this one....he's smoked like 8 cigarettes during the installation so far! (Obviously that's not the reason)

I've heard mixed things about it such as it can be very boring until about 3 hours into the game, which must be a bit off putting, but I haven't even started it yet, so I can't really make a full judgement call on it, though I've heard Hideo Kojima has made the cutscenes a lot more interactive so it's less of wathing a movie for half the game.

I love the MGS series, and this one has only gotten good reviews so far, so I'm eager to play it now...oooh, the installation is finished! I'll post again and give my thoughts.

MsC

  • Author

Yeah... lol, too excited to post even initial first impressions.

Okay, I've put in at least an hour or so (I think...). I've only did the straight shooting deal with some stealth thrown in but I'd like to try some more of the Close Quarter Combat (CQC) that's readily available if I can but get my sneaking down pat. BTW, I love the use of the tin drum as use for cover and covert movement --- hilarious in my eyes.

I've recently met Drebin and have yet to make some aresenal aquisitions from him and I've also built up some Drebin credits as well.

I thought Drake's Fortune looked amazing, but MGS is far superior in the graphics department. Must be played on a tv set that supports 1080p.

Control hasn't been an issue for me. I like the fact that you can play in first and third person but I suspect that most will play in the latter aspect and use the former mostly for sniping situations.

One can skip the lengthy but beautifully rendered cutscenes but from what I understand, one can miss some pertinent information if it is skipped.

Too many thoughts to digest at the moment so I'll leave it at that for now. Great game and a must have for PS3 owners.

Edited by jedicri

Well...so far, just finished Act 1 I assume...

And....I love it beyond belief! The cutscenes are lengthy, but they're addictive to watch, plus I haven't been bored at all yet. I like that you can take the route you want to take--stealth or action. I also love the graphics. Only gripe with it so far is the Mk 2, I haven't really found any use for it yet, it all seems a bit random for me at the moment. The only thing I've done with it is buy ammo, but not used it in the field, so I hope that changes.

Also, you have to install each new act, and that can be a bit annoying, I don't know whether it would have been better just to install it all in one go at the beginning but the second installation only took about 5 minutes so I can't complain, plus it gives your eyes a break and a chance to make a cup of tea!

Yeah, so love it, love it, love it, and love it some more--10 out of 10 atm!

MsC

  • Author

Yes, installing the next Act after the end of the first is new to me. The only positive thing as you mentioned is the opportunity to rest your eyes. And with regards to Mk 2, I also haven't found much use for it. If anything I pick up ammo from fallen AIs/enemies.

I also like the fact that you can actually pause the cutscenes in case you're interrupted for some reason or other.

For the next Act, I'm going more stealth as I've finally equipped my assault rifle with a silencer.

I went to Best Buy on thursday morning to buy the new Disturbed album, and my boyfriend and I saw plenty of people lined up, so I was like I wonder what they are waiting for. Once they opened the doors I followed the people and they had this table set up with MGS 4 and the MGS4 Blue Tooth and the Limitted Ed Strategy guide, and I really don't play MGS but I know my boyfriend does alot so since hes been a good boy I bought it along with the guide and the blue tooth for me, and alot of people were also getting the PS3 that came with the game so he's actually in my room playing it right now, and I came downstairs to make some Quesadillas and he hasn't came down which means he's probobly in love with the game right now Lol, saw the beggining and really great graphics and yeah like Ms,Croft said he smokes during the installation lol, and I saw a part where this cow noises came out and we thought they were cows but they are like lizards/rpbots and they jump cool like rally far. Ok glad to hear you guys are enjoying the game. B)

>Purple<

  • Author

Oh! Oh.... I've just watched one of the best cutscenes (if not, the best, if there are others to come) that involved

Raiden and his fight against the Geckos (sp?) and against Vamp!

. Wow! Purple, if and when your boyfirned reaches this particular cutscene, you have got to watch it! and I know you'll enjoy it too Ms.Croft!

I love the character development in this game. You really get to empathize for them (... well, for the protagonists anyway).

I'm now on to Act 3 which I'll start tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm on Act 3 now, and it's good, I've noticed that each act kind of subtlely makes you change the way you play the game. Also the fight with Laughing Octopus was awesome, though I was expecting a bit more strategy as to how you kill her, rather than the simple way they made you do it, it was just avoiding the damage and other little things that made the battle rather than causing her actual damage, so I hope the other women present a bit more of a problem...particularly looking forward to facing Psycho...

MsC

P.S Yes that cutscene was awesome!!

  • Author

I'm on to Act 4 and btw, the start of it is a classic! Brilliant!

Incidentally, one needn't kill the bosses; once they're deprived of their armour, simply shoot them using your anesthetic pistol to lower their psyche and they'll fall asleep. By not killing them , you get to acquire their respective Face Camo which you can equip under Camouflage.

Edited by jedicri

I finished it 2 days ago, and have been playing MGO since.

I'm extremely glad Kojima kept this game under-wraps as much as possible. I wasn't totally shocked by the ending, it was something I expected to happen...well, not one part, but I won't be posting even any spoilers here, regardless of tags, this is a game every single person should experience first hand without knowing what's going to happen.

I'm still not completely sure what Kojima was trying to communicate to us, therefore I've gotten out my dusty old discs of MGS1, 2 and 3 and will be playing them chronologically over the coming weeks to get a refresh onto what's happening...plus I'll turn on the subtitles to make it clearer :lol:

MGO is awesome btw, I'm addicted to it, especially playing Snake during the missions whilst all the other carnage is going on with real human players.

I noticed that with the bosses, Jedicri, though I think you're meant to assume they're dead, especially since Snake touched Laughing Octopus's neck after I tranqualized her as if her pulse had stopped in the cutscene...

Anyhow, final impression, 10/10, and I really hope there's another Metal Gear after this one, even if it's not part of the Solid series.

MsC

  • Author

A lot of twists and turns ---- I'm not even sure I know what's going on at games end but this sure is one heck of a game. I'll also need a refresher. I give it a 10/10 as well.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...


LARA CROFT ONLINE TOMB RAIDER HOME PAGE

© Lara Croft Online All rights reserved. "Serving Tomb Raider Fans Since 2001"

Lara Croft ® and Tomb Raider ™ are trademarks of © CDE Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.