Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question about video card

Featured Replies

Quick question. Does any one know if it is POSSIBLE (caps) to runUnderworld with a GeForce 6100 (the min states a 6800). I was justWONDERING, because I am DESPERATE to play it -- if by chance it wouldrun on that with EVERYTHING turned off?

I would try the demo, but I can't download that big of a file. :-(

Specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4600+ (2.4GHz)

2GB of RAM

GeForce 6100 128MB (integrated, ugh)

Iknow the only thing that is holding me back is the video card. Doesanyone know if it will play with all 'stuff' turned off. It would lookpretty bad, but still playable?

With that graphics card, I doubt it'll run well enough to be playable, even with everything turned off (especially with your graphics being integrated). From reading the Eidos board, I've seen people with Nvidia 7-series having massive difficulties with their framerate, even after turning the graphics down to the lowest level (I even took my 7600GT out and replaced it a month or so ago because I knew there was no way it'd be able to cope with Underworld). In my opinion it'd be better to wait for the PS2 version than to risk the PC version without being able to try the demo first.

Pity, as you say the rest of your specs are fine :(

  • Author

There was a comment on your video on YouTube that someone couldn't get it to play because of their graphic card driver.

It was a 7000M. I searched for them the driver and noticed it was for a notebook. I PMed them to driver download page and told them that it still probably wouldn't be playable with that notebook video card. They reported back and said that it was lagging.

I figured since it was a notebook, that's why it wouldn't play. The min states a 6800 and I'm like what, just 2 video cards away? lol

But yeah, it wouldn't be worth it.. even with everything turned off, the gameplay would suck. It may be cheaper to buy a new video card (on sale). LOL

It's what the graphics card is capable of rather than the series. The 6800 may have pixel shader 3.0 and 6100 may not, or something like that.

I agree with Shrensh, integrated cards are always worse than non-integrated ones.

However, Underworld is having severe troubles with NVidia cards at the moment and not just the series. Series 7 upwards should be able to run it fine with some of the graphics turned low, but the drivers aren't agreeing with the game (most likely due to Underworld being developed for X360 which I thinkuses an ATI card, so it was probably badly ported). NVidia will either release a patch for it, or CrystalD should though they're blaming NVidia so I doubt it'll get resolved.

I'd just wait for the PS2 version and save yourself the hassle. I know it's annoying having to wait when everyone else has it, but at least you know it'll definitely work.

MsC

Even Legend had trouble with Nvidia cards. My 7600 would not run the game in a way that was playable with next-gen enabled even though it should have run without a problem (it would run fine for about 10 minutes, then would slow down so much I couldn't do anything with it. Thank a lag of a few seconds every time I pressed a key). I completed the game with next-gen enabled back when I first got it, so an updated driver must have caused the issue.

  • Author

Lara -- Both the 6100 and 6150 support Shader Model 3.0 and DirectX 9.0c. The 6150 also features support for High-Definition video playback, PureVideo Processing, DVI, and video-out while the 6100 supports PureVideo Processing only. Maximum supported resolution is 1920 x 1440 pixels (@75 Hz) for RGB display and 1600 x 1200 pixels (@65 Hz) for DVI-D display

But still it is understandable that something that was created in 2005 can not play something that was created in 2008. lol

I'm looking around to see how much a 8xxx series would be.. I don't know much about video cards, or how it's possible to add a non-integrated card onto a board with integrated graphics? lol

I used the pixel shader as an example, it could be some other feature that was implemented into the 6800, I don't know like more dedicated memory, perhaps 6800 is 256mb, and the ones before are 128mb.

I've installed an external graphics card with an integrated card before. All you have to do is remove the drivers of the integrated card and install the drivers of the new card (With the new card attached to your motherboard). The resolution goes wacko and it all looks a bit odd when you have no graphic drivers but it'll be fine after the new ones are installed.

You need to look at the requirements for the graphics card on the box before you buy it to see if it's compatible with your motherboard like AGP, PSI, etc, and if your computer has the required RAM, Ghz, etc. However, I don't know a lot about installing graphics cards on Laptops, but I think they're all integrated and there's no slot for a non-integrated one, but double-check that.

MsC

  • Author

Thanks.

I posted help on a tech support forum last night--- to better understand this one thought complicated mess - lol.

I'll probably be getting a GeForce 9400GT/9500GT or a 8 series (they aren't that high) after Christmas. I have an extra PCIe slot available. The only thing is my PSU is only 300 watts and have gotten mixed stories on if I should upgrade that. I probably will later on, as they aren't that expensive either and would do my computer good, esp with a high end video card.

So if all goes well, I should be playing Tomb Raider: Underworld sooner than I though -- and in NEXT GEN! :P

Thanks.

I posted help on a tech support forum last night--- to better understand this one thought complicated mess - lol.

I'll probably be getting a GeForce 9400GT/9500GT or a 8 series (they aren't that high) after Christmas. I have an extra PCIe slot available. The only thing is my PSU is only 300 watts and have gotten mixed stories on if I should upgrade that. I probably will later on, as they aren't that expensive either and would do my computer good, esp with a high end video card.

So if all goes well, I should be playing Tomb Raider: Underworld sooner than I though -- and in NEXT GEN! :P

You definately need to upgrade your PSU --- at least 500+ watts, 750 preferably or higher --- you don't want to fry your other hardware.

  • Author
You definately need to upgrade your PSU --- at least 500+ watts, 750 preferably or higher --- you don't want to fry your other hardware.

K. The one I'm looking at is only $19.99 and is 480 watts. I know the price suggests that it's not worth it, but it's gotten over 120 GOOD reviews on it. Something to consider, eh?

I'm also getting conflicting suggestions on the other board (neowin.net) about upgrading it. Some say that they have a 350 watt and it works great for them. Some suggest to at LEAST get a 400 watt. I guess it is better to upgrade it, anyhow.

K. The one I'm looking at is only $19.99 and is 480 watts. I know the price suggests that it's not worth it, but it's gotten over 120 GOOD reviews on it. Something to consider, eh?

I'm also getting conflicting suggestions on the other board (neowin.net) about upgrading it. Some say that they have a 350 watt and it works great for them. Some suggest to at LEAST get a 400 watt. I guess it is better to upgrade it, anyhow.

Mike, you may try posting your concerns and questions here: http://www.hardforum.com/index.php? .. I visit this site often and do learn a lot from its members too. This a great site with many more knowledgeable people.

But I know for a fact that it's better and safer to have more power than none at all. I'm inclined to make an educated guess that those that have a 350 watt powering their rig have a very simple set up where hardware is concerned.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...


LARA CROFT ONLINE TOMB RAIDER HOME PAGE

© Lara Croft Online All rights reserved. "Serving Tomb Raider Fans Since 2001"

Lara Croft ® and Tomb Raider ™ are trademarks of © CDE Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.