Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

graphics suddenly got poor?

Featured Replies

Quick comment, hope it's not inappropriate.  I played Shadow yesterday and today and thought the graphics looked quite good.  I do not have a 4K set-up, just HD.  I just booted it on our Xbox One S (with a smaller TV screen) and thought the graphics looked much worse than they did earlier today.  I fiddled with the TV settings and Xbox settings but nothing changed.  I don't have any screenshots but swear the game resolution looks like it's suddenly become not even HD.  I thought maybe that Xbox was having a fit so went to the other one, the Halo 5 one attached to a bigger HD screen.  It wanted to do an update and when the game started.  I suppose the Xbox One S had automatically done the update although so should that one.  No matter - it looked the same/as bad.  Lara actually looks like she does in games like "Anniversary" or something like that in terms of impression of how good the graphics are.  Not that bad, maybe, dunno, maybe similar to "Deus Ex Human Revolution" in terms of realism.  Definitely not as good as earlier today.  I just booted "Rise" and yes, indeed, the graphics there look as good as they did and "Shadow" all of a sudden has had a significant downgrade.  Anyone else noticed this?

Edited by SpirantCrayon22
changed the bit about "Rise"

  • Author

Thanks for the comment but I don't think it can be HDMI cables; it was good, now it's not good, and I haven't changed anything.  The resolution is obviously better in "Rise", little glints on the outfit, etc.  Basically it looks like it's normal resolution, not even HD, after this update.  I am really quite sure that it was better earlier today (although have no real proof and part of me wonders if I've gone mad) but as mentioned, the graphical detail is superior in "Rise", that's something I could upload I suppose - but it's half past one and I have to get up early tomorrow so need to get my head down.  Also it's on two different Xboxes with two different cables and two different screens.  Cheers.

  • Author

I got a second opinion from my wife earlier, who thought that the graphics look "better" than "Rise" but I still feel the resolution is not right, there just doesn't seem to be the level of detail in the Lara model compared with "Rise" although maybe it's just been done differently and I'm imagining all this!  I haven't seen a comment anywhere on the internet about the graphics, either.  Oh, well!

  • Author

I don't personally know anyone who has both these games so might I ask a favour of someone here?  Please boot "Rise", go into the game and run around a bit, get a feel for the graphics, then load "Shadow" and see how the resolution of the game compares.  Is it just that it's different?  As noted, I have two different Xboxes, HDMI cables and HDTV set-ups at 1920x1080.  I swear "Rise" looks better so for my sanity please would someone help!

  • Author

I finally had the fairly obvious idea of doing a screen-shot and looking at the pixels (screenshot then went to xboxdvr.com and downloaded the picture stored there, couldn't see how to access it from my profile on xbox.com).  The resolution appears to be 1920x1080 as individual pixels are quite clearly separate and not groups of four.  That means it's a deliberate soft focus I suppose but I'm not an expert on video resolution to comment further.  Image created at normal resolution then up-sampled using averages of the adjoining pixels?  Would that be faster than creating HD directxly?  Oh, well . . .

  • Author

I just saw something that made me feel another comment on this was justified.  I looked at launch trailers for SotTR and . . . well, the videos of game-play look like HD in the way I discussed above, ie, it does look like HD where what I see is not HD - the same sequences in MY game-play do not look like the launch trailer sequences.  I can't be seeing 4K because I don't have 4K in the house.  So why is my game-play soft-focus when the launch trailer - in HD not 4K - looks better?  What am I missing?  I am getting more convinced that this has been a fudge.

I'm not really an expert since all the bleep look the same but I've heard that due to all the vegetation and vibrancy of South America, they gave lara a softer, more rounded face and did some technical stuff I can't pronounce so when running through the jungle with the jaguars, the (consoles at least from what i read) don't explode into a fireball from graphic overload.

At least that was a off top of head rememberance from the article I read other day.

Honestly to me, (and from what I've seen online), shadow exceeds Rise, but Rise lara face > shadow lara face

As for why Shadow may of suddenly turned into a Minecraft on your Xbox, I have no idea XD lol

Edited by Big Tyler 08

  • Author

Someone on the official forums posted something about it.  Apparently it isn't 1080 on the S or basic one, only on X is it proper HD.

Bah, humbug.

I'm a graphics philistine, and unfortunately, I don't have an Xbox One to test it on, since my son took custody of mine a while back. Even the game doesn't look as good on a regular Xbox One as on the XO X, you'd think it would still look at least as good as Rise. Weird.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...


LARA CROFT ONLINE TOMB RAIDER HOME PAGE

© Lara Croft Online All rights reserved. "Serving Tomb Raider Fans Since 2001"

Lara Croft ® and Tomb Raider ™ are trademarks of © CDE Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.