Lara Croft Online Tomb Raider Forum

LARA CROFT ONLINE HOME PAGE

Barbieheimer/Barbenheimer is the biggest movie event of this Summer ! !

Guested Account

There's even a fake trailer for it...

and

... websites selling T-shirts and even Tom Cruise has tweeted he had purchased tickets for Barbie

https://www.ign.com/articles/internet-embraces-barbenheimer-memes-mashups-more

Barbie might just get that $100 million opening Hollywood industry experts are forecasting!!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at tickets for Oppenheimer for opening day next Thursday 7-20 to Sunday 7-23, the IMAX 70MM and the IMAX regular,

4 showings per each type, 8 showings total per day over those 4 days, 32 showings total.

Every showing is SOLD OUT including the last showing at 11pm. Even the row of seats all the way to the front are gone.

Then the NON IMAX showing of Oppenheimer at other theaters in the city are also selling out including first day time showings.

So I look at the showings for Barbie for those same 4 days Thursday 7-20 to Sunday 7-23, every showing, standard and XD, couple of seats purchased here and there but 99% of the the seating for all the showings are available.

I don't really think they will be selling out between now and 7/20. I will check them again closer to next week.

Finally i check Mission Impossible 7 for today thru Sunday night on half a dozen theaters. Plenty of seating. Many showings have seating  completely available, not one seat sold. There are a couple of showings on Friday and Saturday night that are 1/2 to 3/4 sold. Even IMAX shows are not selling out.

Oppenheimer now has a 92% fresh tomato score. The second highest fresh tomato score of any Nolan's movies. Dark Knight has 94.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oppenheimer_2023

I like this review:

[quote]It has managed to turn a biographical film with a seemingly dull premise, at first glance, into one of the most intense, transcendent, and overwhelming spectacles that have landed on the big screen in recent times.[/quote]

Barbie has a 89% fresh tomato score.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/barbie

This review by a guy film critic surprise me and 89% of the 175 film critics reviews are similar.

[quote]Greta Gerwig’s surreal satire starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling is one of this year’s best films. Barbie” is also absolutely bonkers — and I was 100 percent on board with wherever it took me. I sat in the theater beaming with a grin not even a bright-pink bazooka could wipe off my face.[/quote]

These are the only theaters that are showing Oppenheimer in the IMAX as director Christopher Nolan intended

https://www.imax.com/news/oppenheimer-in-imax-70mm

This explains it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/movies/2023/07/20/oppenheimer-70mm-imax-theaters-locations/

There was a Tik Tok video this morning.

Guy said he drove 250 miles yesterday to see Oppenheimer in IMAX 70mm and it was worth it.

Edited by Guested Account

Including the tickets that have already been purchased for today's showings, because now theaters are using advance ticket sales and no longer need to wait until Monday or Tuesday to tally the box office sales results,

here are the box office tallies for Wednesday to today:

Barbie $155 million domestic, $182 million in 70 foreign markets = $337 million total against a $145 million production budget

Barbie is also the biggest domestic debut for a movie directed by a woman surpassing Wonder Woman 2017 ($103 million domestic opening)

Oppenheimer $80.5 million domestic which surpassed the original industry prediction of $52-72 million, $93.7 million in 78 foreign markets = $174.2 million total against a $100 million production budget.

Image error

I still have to wait until August 4th before I can watch Oppenheimer in IMAX 70 mm.

That's the earliest date I could get tickets.

Also social media and internet pushing July 21st weekend as Barbieheimer/Barbenheimer dual movie release date event helped.

There are online reviews by folks who saw both movies in the same day and I have also seen dozens of Tik Tok videos posted by folks who made Barbie and Oppenheimer a double feature.

Barbie’ Scores Record $93 million and 'Oppenheimer' earned a stellar $46.2 million during their second weekend in U.S.

Barbie continued to paint the overseas box office pink as well. It dropped a mere 32.2 percent to $122.2 million this weekend for a foreign tally of $423.1 million and dreamy global total of $774.5 million through Sunday as speeds toward the $1 billion mark. It will be only the second pic of 2023 so far to join the box office billion-dollar club after Universal’s The Super Mario Bros. Movie, which topped out at $1.34 billion worldwide.

Barbie has even taken on a life of its own in China, where its cume hit $25 million through Sunday after a soft $8.2 million opening. It could leg out to $40 million, far more than anyone expected, considering Barbie isn’t doing as well in Asian markets as it is elsewhere. Among all markets, the U.K. leads with $61.6 million, ahead of the final Harry Potter film’s first 10 days, while it is already the biggest Warners movie ever in Brazil with an early total of $33.5 million.

Oppenheimer — the other half of the Barbenheimer effect — is also a box office force of nature that is holding up incredibly well overseas, grossing an estimated $72.4 million this weekend and the biggest second weekend ever for an R-rated summer pic ahead of 2018 Deadpool 2‘s $43.5 million, not adjusted for inflation.

Oppenheimer finish the weekend with an estimated global haul of $400.4 million, including $174.6 million domestically and $226.3 million at the foreign box office, to rank as Christopher Nolan's sixth-biggest film of all time ahead of Tenet and Batman Begins. Overseas, it is already Nolan’s biggest film ever in 28 markets and his biggest non-superhero title in 39.

‘Barbie’ On Cusp Of $1B Global; ‘Oppenheimer’ Crosses $500M

The third week of Warner Bros’ Barbie continues to reign tall as she surfs towards the coveted $1B milestone this weekend. Through Friday, the Greta Gerwig directed pic is at $951.M worldwide including $527.7M from 69 overseas markets in release.

The Margot Robbie-led flick is expected to hit the billion-dollar mark globally before Monday, which would make its director Greta Gerwig the first solo female director to achieve that goal.

Barbie 's Top 5 market to date are the UK ($80.6M), Mexico ($46.6M), Brazil ($37.2M), Australia ($36M) and, somewhat improbably, China ($30.1M).

What’s more, Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer has reached the $500M global milestone, on its way to an estimated $551M through Sunday.

This would make it the filmmaker’s fifth-highest-grossing film of all time, ahead of Dunkirk. The worldwide total through Friday is $499.3M, meaning that it has already topped the five-century mark today.

Overseas, the Universal title is expected to add an impressive $51M and reaching an estimated international box office cume through Sunday of $323M, which is 129% above Dunkirk, 169% above Interstellar, 212% above Tenet, and 25% above The Dark Knight Rises at the same point in like-for-like markets.

The Cillian Murphy-starrer is the biggest Nolan film of all-time in 41 markets including the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, India, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. It is Nolan’s top non-Batman pic in 55, including Mexico, Brazil, Turkey, Austria, Poland and Malaysia.

The epic story of the titular complicated and brilliant physicist tasked with leading the Manhattan Project, the secret effort to create the atom bomb, and the moral and political struggles that followed is now one of four biographical films to cross $500M global box office ever, including Bohemian Rhapsody, The Passion of the Christ and American Sniper.

Through Sunday, Oppenheimer will rank as the highest-grossing WWII movie of all time worldwide in reported historic grosses, ie also ahead of Saving Private Ryan ($482M) and Pearl Harbor ($449M).

The Top 5 markets through Friday are the UK/Ireland with $45M followed by Germany with $24.6M, France ($21.8M), Australia ($16M) and India ($15M).

Still yet to release such major offshore markets as Korea, Italy and China.

Meanwhile, some folks in Japan are offended by these fans made Barbieheimer/Barbenheimer posters, calling them insensitive.

CRY ME A RIVER!

Image error

Image error

Image error

• 2 months later...