Guested Account

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 Ronin (2013)

According to Japanese history, this is a true story but in the true story, there was no 'half-breed' (quoting the movie) Keanu Reeves in it.

Hollywood always like to be historically inaccurate and yet they tell you at the beginning of each one of their 'historical' movie that it is based on a true story or it is a true story.

:rolleyes:

Akira Kurosawa got to be rolling in his grave!

1/5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RoboCop (2014)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234721/

Terrible and Horrible!

A lot of fancy CGI action doesn't make the movie good.

I can tell from the trailer they took away all the elements which made the original such a great film.

They screwed up Total Recall when they rebooted it.

I knew from the moment a Robocop reboot was announced that they were going to screw it up too.

The original Robocop and Robocop 2 were a critical satire on society and the human race.

I don't see anything like that in this trailer.

Furthermore, the relationship between Murphy and Officer Anne Lewis gave it a human touch and in this reboot, they replaced Anne Lewis with a Man.

Anne Lewis is now Jack Lewis.

A man!

I dug out my RoboCop blu-ray last night and watched it.

You just can't remake this movie to match the original.

Heck, just looking at the trailer where Murphy is killed by a car bomb instead of being gunned down multiple times in cold blood, that's enough to tell me this remake sucks without even having to see it.

Plus it will be rated PG-13 and the original was rated R.

Just like Total Recall was rated R and the remake was rated PG-13.

You can't remake Paul Verhoeven's R-Rated films to PG-13 content and expect them to have the same intensity and quality and shock value of the original.

What's next?

A PG-13 remake of Basic Instinct and Showgirls?

After watching this last night, everything I said about it above back in September 2013 after seeing the first trailer of it on a movie trailer forum is true.

The original was a dark social satire and critique on the 80's, Reaganomics, Corporate America, Social Classes, Law and Order, Crime and Punishment, the Have and Have Not, Materialistic Excess.

It was what made the original and it's first sequel great.

The RoboCop plot in it was more like a subplot.

This movie had nothing of that.

It's just a CGI ridden movie about a guy who is more machine than man and he can hit every target in a firefight.

The gun fight scenes involving RoboCop are like an Arcade First Person Shooter video game.

If you played any FPS games on a computer, game console or a coin arcade game anytime in the past 20 years, you have already seen the gunfight scenes in this movie.

The writers tried to instill a bit of human touch into the story by creating a subplot between Murphy as Man and Machine and his wife but the character of RoboCop in this remake is so thinly written, you don't really even care that his wife cares about him.

The character of Samuel L. Jackson as a reality talk show a la TMZ and Infowars is unnecessary and just filler to add running time to the movie.

Finally, just as I said above back in September, because this remake is rated PG-13 (you can sell more tickets that way by attracting a larger audience age demographic to the movie theater), the entire graphically violent Murphy's transformation from man to RoboCop that shocked audiences in 1987 is completely gone.

Instead of showing Murphy being ruthlessly gunned down in a bloodily gory scene filled with sarcastic witty commentaries on the part of the criminals shooting him, we get a quick and easy and very sanitary car bomb.

Where's Paul Verhoeven when you needed him for a remake?

Unfortunately, as with all inferior remakes of great past films nowadays, the producers left the ending open for another inferior sequel!

My rating:

1/5

Edited by J7Dadda

3 Days to Kill (2014)

When I saw the trailer back in December, I thought this was going to be a good movie even with its February release date, a date reserved for guaranteed stinkers.

Talk about a total let down!

An absurd plot every which way you dissect it, cliched characters you've seen before, wasted opportunities.

Luc Besson wrote and produced this?

Oh how far have you fallen down the celluloid creative ladder, Luc!

You used to make great movies!

Now you are just another Former Great Director Turned Hollywood Sell-Out!

Then to get McG, who shouldn't even be allowed to be behind the cameras calling the shots, as a director after he single handedly killed the Terminator film franchise!!

Finally, even a beautiful, scalding hot Amber Heard couldn't help this movie because her role was very poorly written.

0bc820325162265.jpg bd650e325162275.jpg 6d01c3325162277.jpg c8db9a325162284.jpg

Her character could had been completely left out and it would not had made a bit of difference.

2/5

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014)
It must be easy being a Casting Director nowadays.
The film calls for a leading man actor that people are familiar with?
Sure! Easy Enough!
Let's just pick one of the actors that were in either the J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Franchise, the Twilight Franchise or the Hunger Game Franchise.

After all, if they cast any actors outside of those franchises, the narrow minded movie goers nowadays wouldn't be able to relate to the title character and enjoy the movie - they will be preoccupied during the entire course of the movie asking themselves:
"Who is that? I've never seen him before?".
So it's much better for them to say "Yes! That's the guy from Star Trek, I like him" or " That's the brooding 1000 stares idiot from the Twilight films. This movie is going to be fantastic! I can sit back, relax, and enjoy this!"
I am aware it's been nearly 20 years since the last Jack Ryan movie with Harrison Ford and this movie is a Jack Ryan origin but surely they could had done better in term of casting for the title role and screenplay.
At least even Ben Affleck in the Sum Of All Fears is so much better than this Pine guy.
Yes, there will be a sequel!
This Pine guy will be doing both Star Trek movies and Jack Ryan movies for a while.
God saves us all!
1.5/5
Edited by J7Dadda

The best one IMO will always be The Hunt For Red October.

Yes, and Paramount screwed Alec Baldwin out of his contract to play Jack Ryan in several more movies when the studio heads found out they could get Harrison Ford for about the same salary.

Baldwin didn't find out he was replaced and fired until like a week before filming for Patriot Games was supposed to begin.

That's a must see flick.

Maybe Nolan will finally find redemption after torturing us with 3 crappy Batman films.

He was on a roll after making Memento and The Prestige and then he started going down the evil dark side with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

He did redeem himself with Inception (which is badly in need of a sequel please, sequel!) but then he gave himself back in to evil temptations with The Dark Knight Rises.

This was one of my favorite movie when I was a kid.

It's also the only Streisand movie I'd seen from the 60's, 70's, and 80's that I like.

All of her other movies just scream chick flicks and will make any guy cringe just at the thought of having to sit through any of them.

The only reasons I had to watch them was because of my dates, along with all those awful Meryl Streep movies I had to endure in the 80's with a date.

Furthermore, Streisand looks horrible in those other films she was in, getting worse and worse in appearance with each movie.

She actually does looks cute and normal in this one.

When wacky co-ed Judy Maxwell (Barbra Streisand, in the Katharine Hepburn part) spies nebbishy musicologist Howard Bannister (Ryan O'Neal in bespectacled Cary Grant mode) in a San Francisco hotel lobby, she decides that Howard and his precious igneous rocks are right up her alley.

It all leads to the accidental mix up of four identical plaid overnight bags and a series of increasingly wild and wacky situations.

3f9538327131807.jpg a2b1cf327131812.jpg 9bb437327131816.jpg 7a972a327131821.jpg f45cf9327131828.jpg 8a6279327131829.jpg cbd7a2327131838.jpg

Cast:

Barbra Streisand ... Judy Maxwell

Ryan O'Neal ... Howard Bannister

Madeline Kahn ... Eunice Burns

Kenneth Mars ... Hugh Simon

Austin Pendleton ... Frederick Larrabee

Michael Murphy ... Mr. Smith

Director: Peter Bogdanovich

My Rating: 5 out of 5

Edited by J7Dadda

Godzilla (2014)

It started out well in the first act and then it turned into a standard Hollywood disaster movie.

After the first act, you'd think you are watching The Day After Tomorrow or 2012.

Plus the rest of the movie is so disjointed and the main actor just CONVENIENTLY keeps turning up everywhere.

Wow!

I didn't know you can put someone on a chopper and he can go from one side of the world to another side of the world in no time.

Travel time from one place to another is easily 6-12 hours on a 777 or 757 or Airbus and he did it in no time on a chopper.

Then there is the military subplot.

Where's the firepower? Where are the Navy and Air Force and Army of the other countries and even of the U.S.?

One carrier group?

They (the producer and director and screenwriters) also could had amped up the military action but no, we get a few boots on the grounds with useless assault weapons and the occasional Javelin and LAW.

Then the few military fire power machines that occasionally show up are not being put to full use.

At least in the Japanese version of these Godzilla films, the humans in those films brought out everything in their military arsenal.

Finally, for a movie that's supposedly about Godzilla, not only does Godzilla keeps disappearing, the story has bark and grown and no bite.

The entire film felt real lackluster and by the final act, not only do you not care anymore or have lost interest, you will be looking at your watch over and over.

3/5

I want to add a sidenote to my review:

there was a few scenes with Japanese dialogue and they weren't translated with subtitles.

One of my biggest pet peeves about movies is when there is foreign dialogue and it's not subtitled or translated.

AS IF those films' producers expect everyone in the audience to speak 2 dozen languages.

Edited by J7Dadda

Non-Stop (2014)

Non-Stop? Pleeeeaseeeee!!

20 min into this horrendous B-movie and I already wanted the torture to Stop!

What an insult to the intelligent members of today's movie audience this movie is!

1/5

7.3 overall average rating on IMDB?

That tells me how stupid and gullible and easily pleased and shallow most of today's movie audience is!

Edited by J7Dadda

• 1 month later...
Transcendence (2014)

UGH!

Talk about identity crisis.

The screenwriters of this film can't decide what to do with this movie!

Is it a conspiracy thriller? A romantic story? A Sci-Fi? An action film? A zombie film? A religious preaching film?

What the heck is it supposed to be?

2/5

• 2 weeks later...
Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) in IMAX 3D

Amazing movie!

:woho:

Every action sequence a well choreographed ballet.

Every frame a beautiful masterpiece.

If Michael Bay's films were paintings, Monet, Rembrandt, Picasso, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Degas, Renoir, Warhol would be proud!!

:ohmy2:

Nolan, Favreau, Singer, Abrams and the other directors of the Thor, Captain America, Spiderman (new one) and Avengers franchises, they all can learn from Bay.

They keep cranking out the same comic book based films that are not worth the $200-$250 million budget they spent on.

All they are doing is milking the cow over and over so the coming books based movies fan boys just flock to the theater like a herd of mindless sheep.

Best $16.50 I'd ever spend on a movie ticket this year!!

5 out 5!!

11 out of 10!!

6 out of 5 Stars!

AAAAA+!!

:wub2:

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) in IMAX 3D
Amazing movie!
:woho:
Every action sequence a well choreographed ballet.
Every frame a beautiful masterpiece.
If Michael Bay's films were paintings, Monet, Rembrandt, Picasso, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Degas, Renoir, Warhol would be proud!!
:ohmy2:
Nolan, Favreau, Singer, Abrams and the other directors of the Thor, Captain America, Spiderman (new one) and Avengers franchises, they all can learn from Bay.
They keep cranking out the same comic book based films that are not worth the $200-$250 million budget they spent on.
All they are doing is milking the cow over and over so the coming books based movies fan boys just flock to the theater like a herd of mindless sheep.
Best $16.50 I'd ever spend on a movie ticket this year!!
5 out 5!!
11 out of 10!!
6 out of 5 Stars!
AAAAA+!!
:wub2:

I didn't see this movie in 3D, but still it was awesome to watch. This movie totally topped the previous film, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

• 2 weeks later...
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Finally got around to watch this movie in its entirety from beginning to end after my last attempt to watch it back in May and gave up after 16 min.

What a mess!

Why did they had to spoil it by revealing Peter Parker identity to Gwen Stacy?

So many plot holes in this film and so many things are wrong with this reboot, I don't even know where to begin!

I don't know if I should even watch the second one!

I didn't care for this movie when I first saw the trailer.

Without Raimi and Kirsten and Toby, it was not the same.

They should never had re-booted the franchise so soon after the last Raimi's Spider Man movie!

2/5

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

b8fbff343124313.jpg

The plots of these movies are all the same because they are all somewhat related or a continuation of each other especially with the characters popping up from one film to the other.

Like in Thor, Thor fights his brother Loki who then reappears to fight everyone in Avengers and now it seems he will reappear in the next Avengers movie.

In Captain America: Winter Soldiers, Captain America fights an old friend who has become his enemy.

Wait!

That's the same plot for Iron Man 3, isn't it?

Iron Man fights someone from his past who is now his enemy.

Furthermore, for as much as I love to see ScarJo as Black Widow,

it's beginning to get tiring to see her in three back to back Marvel Comics movies and she will also be in the next Marvel Comics Avengers film.

Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, Captain America, X-Men, Wolverine, etc!

All Marvel Comics!

Then on the other side of the coin it's the same thing with DC Comics based movies: Superman, Batman, Superman vs Batman

Too much of anything is not good!

:rolleyes:

Soon Hollywood will only produce two kind of movies:

Reboot/Remakes of the same movies over and over and Comic books adaption live action films.

2/5

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

A bit better than the first one but still not as good as the Sam Raimi's adaptation.

The CGI just looks messy and fake.

Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield scenes feel forced.

It looks like they don't have any real chemistry as actor and actress together.

In several scenes, Garfield's facial expressions were just horrible.

He looked like he was constipated or he was getting ready to pass gas!

Now they are talking about a 3rd film in 2018.

Is anyone really going to care by then, 4 years after this 2nd film?

Why the long gap when there were only 2 years between the first one and this one?

2.5/5

Some questions I have:

What disease does Norman and Harry Osborn have?

How does Harry knows to get into that suit and not the Octopus (looks like it) one next to it?

Who does Doctor Conners talks to at the end of The Amazing Spider Man during the credits?

Who is this Mr. Fiers guy?

So I guess Mary Jane will be the new female lead in the next film?

• 2 weeks later...
Almost 40 years later, the policies and decisions made by the U.S. Government during this country's nearly 25 years long involvement in the Vietnam War still haunts this country.

The question is how many South Vietnamese who worked for the U.S. Government and the U.S. Armed Forces did we leave behind and how many of them ended up being captured, imprisoned by the Communist North Vietnamese and then executed?

How many South Vietnamese paid with their lives for supporting the U.S. Government and for supporting their U.S. Government supported South Vietnamese Puppet Regime?

• 2 weeks later...